Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned Volvos since 1989. I love the cars, and have been really enthusiastic about their evolution, with things really taking off with the SPA and CMA cars. I currently own a 2018 XC60, which has been a fantastic car. But current trade-in values of used cars and what looks clearly like an electrified future have me lusting after an XC40 Recharge.

After scouring these (and other) forums for several weeks I'm left the impression that the XC40 isn't entirely fit for purpose just yet. Mostly there seem to be software problems which, of course, can be expected to eventually be ironed out. But when? And repeated reports of IHUs needing to be replaced, and especially their limited availability, have me a little spooked.

So my question is this: If you're being really honest, is the car worth the trouble? Or, given a second chance, would you hold off?

Normally that question would be easily answered. But with the historic premium being paid for used cars it's a particularly attractive time to make the switch.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Is it polished? No. Is it ready? Yes

The car has been with the dealer way too much for my liking, however there was always a loaner so we always had transportation. None of the problems we experienced (IHU replacement, ACC issues) ever kept the vehicle from operating safely.

In the end you need to compare it to the competition. I can recall parts, major parts like roofs and bumpers, literally falling off Model 3s. The entirety of Bolts couldn't be parked in garages.

In comparison Volvo has done a good job for is first release.

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
185 Posts
Is it polished? No. Is it ready? Yes

The car has been with the dealer way too much for my liking, however there was always a loaner so we always had transportation. None of the problems we experienced (IHU replacement, ACC issues) ever kept the vehicle from operating safely.

In the end you need to compare it to the competition. I can recall parts, major parts like roofs and bumpers, literally falling off Model 3s. The entirety of Bolts couldn't be parked in garages.

In comparison Volvo has done a good job for is first release.
You’re absolutely right.
If you look at the competitors, they are all dealing with similar issues. I expect the manufacturers releasing fully electric cars next years will have their fair amount of issues. Volvo si far has dealt really well with theirs.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I love my P8. I would buy it again in a heart beat. But I have also had no problems.

With everything works it is a fantastic car.

The question is whether problems are rare common or the norm and I do not know how to resolve this question.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've owned Volvos since 1989. I love the cars, and have been really enthusiastic about their evolution, with things really taking off with the SPA and CMA cars. I currently own a 2018 XC60, which has been a fantastic car. But current trade-in values of used cars and what looks clearly like an electrified future have me lusting after an XC40 Recharge.

After scouring these (and other) forums for several weeks I'm left the impression that the XC40 isn't entirely fit for purpose just yet. Mostly there seem to be software problems which, of course, can be expected to eventually be ironed out. But when? And repeated reports of IHUs needing to be replaced, and especially their limited availability, have me a little spooked.

So my question is this: If you're being really honest, is the car worth the trouble? Or, given a second chance, would you hold off?

Normally that question would be easily answered. But with the historic premium being paid for used cars it's a particularly attractive time to make the switch.
It’s ready enough, and I’d buy it again. Will the next model be better than the one you buy? Of course. That is always the trade off where technology is involved. IHU problems are not new and are not unique to Volvo. I had to replace the IHU in my 2014 Cadillac. My only long term hesitation with all EVs is that I don’t think they are going to hold their value very well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you can handle Volvo service not being on the same page as Volvo corporate, then you should be fine.

Software update delays aside, I have been tremendously happy with my XC40 Recharge. The car is solid, quick, and nice to look at. I've had 2 OTA updates go fine.

In terms of charging, I'm fortunate to have local free DC charging and free AC charging at work. I've paid for charging a few times just to be safe, but I've never run that close to empty.

Now with SiriusXM available, I feel like the car and software is close to where it should have been on release. Waiting on CarPlay/AndroidAuto is fine. It's only all going to get better. In the meantime, it's a great car and when the snow arrives, I'll be ready.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
222 Posts
I don't have one yet, but after following this forum for several months I haven't seen anything to scare me away. Honestly, the only other car that I'm still seriously considering is the upcoming Nissan Ariya. Nissan has a good track record with EVs, moreso than most other car brands getting into the EV market now. A loaded Ariya looks like it will be very competitive with the XC40 in just about every way. The only problem is waiting for it to become available, but I have 6 months of warranty left on my X1.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The question is whether problems are rare common or the norm and I do not know how to resolve this question.
That, in a nutshell, is the $60K question.

While I'll agree that there are teething problems with new technology, the problems Volvo is having actually have very little to do with the car being electric. I haven't looked, but I would expect that the owners of 2022 XC60s, which also have the new Android infotainment system, are having similar issues.

Various people have said in these forums that they are happy to wait for the CarPlay or AndroidAuto support. I feel just the opposite. I don't like major promised functionality of my car being tethered to the future whims or limitations of the manufacturer.

The best example of this is with my current 2018 XC60. It promised over the air updates, which never materialized. Then Volvo lost interest in the Sensus platform entirely. But all along CarPlay has worked, and as my phone and iOS gained new features so did my car. I'd be ok if Volvo just jettisoned everything they're doing in favor of truly outstanding CarPlay and AndroidAuto integration.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That is the thing with electric cars…..they are always getting updates and improving. You don’t have that with an ICE. Are there bugs along the way, yep. Are they sometimes annoying, yep. Would I ever go back to an ICE car, nope. You have to think of an EV more like your phone or computer. Constant updates and improvements with some bumps along the way. My Tesla is not the same car as when I bought it and I love that fact.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
When I got the P8 there was no other car on the market at any price range that I would rather have.

That is still true today. I hope there will be competition in the future as competition is good. But I needed a car and I am so happy that I could get mine in May.

I knew it was not 100% finished or polished on the software side when I got it but I am so happy that Volvo did not delay releasing the car. I have enjoyed driving it so much.

I still drive it just to drive it sometimes :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Very happy with the vehicle. And while I bash the software at times, I had similar software issues in the past in Mercedes, Honda, and in a Volvo ICE car, so not really that big a deal. Overall still very satisfied. I think Volvo and other car makers really need to push Google to make AAOS worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Two weeks after purchase in May I had a major problem: my P8's front end was screeching like a banshee, and I needed a new axle because of a manufacturing screw-up. Of course I was livid. But my dealer and Volvo corporate handled it with great care. Since then, not a single issue, no software problems, nothing. I totally love the car and would definitely buy it again. Even for this lifelong manual transmission person, it is a total joy to drive. And when I'm driving my grandson to school and he says "Pop-pop tell Google to play Willie Nelson," how great is that.

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
267 Posts
You have to think of an EV more like your phone or computer.
I think the more appropriate analogy is a modern airplane. If my cell phone crashes I don’t crash. Updates to the infotainment software is minor to medium risk. Software updates tithe various ECMs is high risk. Volvo already had some ECM faults that resulted in sudden and expected loss of power. VC has yet to demonstrate to me that it has the software portion of EVs mastered.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I think the more appropriate analogy is a modern airplane. If my cell phone crashes I don’t crash. Updates to the infotainment software is minor to medium risk. Software updates tithe various ECMs is high risk. Volvo already had some ECM faults that resulted in sudden and expected loss of power. VC has yet to demonstrate to me that it has the software portion of EVs mastered.
Do you mean the power loss issues that were on the pre release build ( the reason our cars got stuck at the ports?)

Other than that early problem have there been any other ECM faults leading to sudden and unexpected loss of power that I have missed ?

Seems to me that other than that pre release problem that was fixed they have not had other problems of that magnitude.

Other ev makers have:

·
Registered
398 Posts

WE have had our XC40 Recharge since early April 2021 - had a minor A/C issue (which any car can have) took a couple of dealer visits to resolve - but no issues with it now. Have not had any software issues - software updates have installed as they are supposed to without any post install issues - Car is great - do not regret purchase - and would not hold off given a second chance.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Being the poster child for dealer visits I will agree with some others. Should Volvo have waited a year and fully vetted AAOS out more, YES.

Is the car ready, meh. If the only issue you have are software bugs then welcome to the works of EV beta testing program. Some people have had heat pump and HVAC issues, I think there was a differential issue on this forum and I have had 2 sets of brakes and rotors as well as the IHU replaced.

That said EVERY EV on the market is a science experiment. I am curious to the the EV6/Ioniq 5 and see how well Hyundai baked that platform and OS before release. VM has I believe a heat pump issue or some pump that several folks have already had replaced. While I don't think the VW OS is as buggy as Volvo it has its own share of Navi routing issues and lagging. Volvo needs to redesign the rear pads as they are an issue. Several of us have had the issue, some more than others.

Best I can summarize from this forum it there were a few main issues:
  • HVAC/heat pump issues early on. Have not seen one mentioned lately.
  • IHU crashing ad blotches. This seems to be occurring even on 22 models. Not sure if this is a design or QA issue.
  • Rear pads sticking and damaging the pads. This usually shows up when brakes are very wet and then parked for more than a day or so. The longer it is parked the more potential for damage. This is fairly easy (at least for me) to reproduce as has my dealer.

At this price point there really is not any direct competition. The Audi Q4 will be when it ships in next 1-2 months and the Model Y, depends on your opinion on it. This is a real SUC/CUV class vehicle with little if no compromise over the ICE version (I know we have 21 T5 and P8). The Audi will be 100 less HP and about 2 seconds slower and they taper the torque so non of the planted into the back of the seat feel. I don't include the Mach-E because it is essentially a sporty station wagon, it has less ground clearance then the Acura TLX I sold in January.

What I will say is while Volvo has a lot of growing up to do around EVs and how they handle these issues they are a great customer service oriented company. Am I ticked off my car has bene in the shop 4 or 5 times and out of service 32 days, heck yeah. The dealer has been great and the local Volvo rep wanted to met me to apologize for my issues and then offered me 2 monthly car payments reimbursement as well as the option to swap my car. Add to that the $750 gift card they gave me in August and they have given me $2500. I have the direct contact info for the regional Volvo rep as well. I have dealt with many car companies and none have been that involved.

As skittish as I am we love the car so much I have a C40 on order and thet is to replace her T5. Can I find a car with better range, sure. Will it make a difference to me, no. I charge on average once a week and no only charge to 80%. The car is a blast to drive and when the IHU and software work (most of the time) the Google ecosystem has a lot of potential.

My advice to any EV buyer is , be prepared for some growing teething pains. Tesla, more than 8 years in, still have quirky buggy software. What Volvo needs to do is get Android Auto and Carplay in ASAP so that people can rely on their more mature phones and then the quirks of the car become less important.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tested both gas and electric xc40, my opinion is the P8 is half baked. If you’re an early adopter, the one who installs updates on your phone the first day they are released, bugs be damned. Then it’s for you. If you have an automated life with small room for annoyance, wait it out. I mean no car play? And options are so limited… Every one I test drove had warped brakes, and they were a few months old in the test fleet…. We bought the T5 with expectation we will have it 5 years and by then electrics will be ready for us, both in the sense of manufacturers and the infrastructure.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I tested both gas and electric xc40, my opinion is the P8 is half baked. If you’re an early adopter, the one who installs updates on your phone the first day they are released, bugs be damned. Then it’s for you. If you have an automated life with small room for annoyance, wait it out. I mean no car play? And options are so limited… Every one I test drove had warped brakes, and they were a few months old in the test fleet…. We bought the T5 with expectation we will have it 5 years and by then electrics will be ready for us, both in the sense of manufacturers and the infrastructure.
I can't argue your point, my wife's T5 is almost 6 months old has 2600 flawless miles on it and the Infotainment works prefect. We addedC2Play wireless Carplay and even that have been great. If I were willing to go back to an ICE vehicle I would be looking at a GV70 or XC40 T5, I just refuse to go back to gas.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts