Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm on the verge of buying my first Volvo, a 2019 XC40 T5 momentum with less than 25,000 miles on the clock. The dealer is offering an extended warranty (CNA National) for $2500 up to 50k miles (I drive less than 10k per year). I've had a read of lot of posts and hear some concerns but nothing too scary.

I was wondering what people think of the reliability of this car and if they think the warranty is worth it at that price?

The current manufacturer's warranty is still good until mid 2023 so maybe there's not much point?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I put my bets on it going all wrong before the end of the normally warrantee … I feel that things go wrong from 0-2 years then the next peak is right after the extended warranty wears out ….

Maybe this will bite me… then again if one can afford the car and the extended warrantee hopefully one can afford to get it fixed outside of the warrantee.

Also I am hoping there is less to go wrong in an ev … and the battery has its own warrantee…

·
Super Moderator
264 Posts
They quoted you $2500 for an extra 50k miles, so up to 100k? If so, that is really cheap.. it must not cover a lot or something? The Volvo option is much more expensive. I would just go for it for the peace of mind. Volvos are expensive to fix. A couple problems and you’ve spent $2500.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They quoted you $2500 for an extra 50k miles, so up to 10k? If so, that is really cheap.. it must not cover a lot or something? The Volvo option is much more expensive. I would just go for it for the peace of mind. Volvos are expensive to fix. A couple problems and you’ve spent $2500.
Haha I wish, sadly not!

The car is on 20k miles now and has existing manufacturer warranty up to mid 2023 or 50k miles. However I dont drive that much so it will probably expire before I hit 50k.

I will probably hit 50k about a year after, like mid 2024. The extended waranty would just give me cover up to 50k miles, so probably really only an extra year of coverage. Not sure that seems worth it for that one year extra if I already have cover for until mid 2023. What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
264 Posts
Yeah I would roll the dice personally. I’m at 48000 in one of the first 2019 T5s imported to the States and haven’t had more than a body trim issue. I drive mostly highway miles but on many rough midwestern roads. I have the feeling I’ll need suspension work within the next 10-20k miles. But you’re not subjecting your car to heavy duty use so it seems reasonable to assume you’ll make it to 50k without spending 2500 on non routine repairs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts