Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8, Sage Green
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have watched countless videos on walk arounds of the XC40 Recharge since late last year. So I was way more familiar with the car than anyone at the dealer unfortunately. And when I opened the hood on my new car and then opened the large plastic cover under the hood….. I saw that I have the molded insert that is supposed to be in there that is made for holding a coiled charging cable. But below that is supposed to be a flat panel that covers the tire repair kit accessories. I have been trying to convince my dealer that I am missing the flat panel, a part of the car that should be there. They say they’ve checked other XC40 Recharges and they too are missing the flat panel covering the tire repair kit area. I even had a guy in parts tell me that they don’t sell that panel with the car in our market. Yet when they print out the parts diagram of the frunk it very clearly shows both the flat panel and molded insert inside the frunk. I’d rather take out the big bulbous molded insert because my charging cord is too large to fit wrapped around the hump. But it would fit fine just sitting flat on the flat panel insert. Is anyone else missing the flat panel that covers the tire repair kit?

Reactions: Clocky

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have watched countless videos on walk arounds of the XC40 Recharge since late last year. So I was way more familiar with the car than anyone at the dealer unfortunately. And when I opened the hood on my new car and then opened the large plastic cover under the hood….. I saw that I have the molded insert that is supposed to be in there that is made for holding a coiled charging cable. But below that is supposed to be a flat panel that covers the tire repair kit accessories. I have been trying to convince my dealer that I am missing the flat panel, a part of the car that should be there. They say they’ve checked other XC40 Recharges and they too are missing the flat panel covering the tire repair kit area. I even had a guy in parts tell me that they don’t sell that panel with the car in our market. Yet when they print out the parts diagram of the frunk it very clearly shows both the flat panel and molded insert inside the frunk. I’d rather take out the big bulbous molded insert because my charging cord is too large to fit wrapped around the hump. But it would fit fine just sitting flat on the flat panel insert. Is anyone else missing the flat panel that covers the tire repair kit?
Yes - I did the same thing. Looked at other XC40’s on the dealer’s lot and they didn’t the flat panel. Also trying to track down the cup holder lighting mentioned in the manual.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
261 Posts
I don't have this flat panel either, and now that I'm aware it exists, I'd prefer that over the 'bump' one too.

I did a quick look-around for parts fiche but it keeps going to the non-electric XC40s, which of course don't have the front trunk & panel. If you come across a part number, I'd like to know too.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8, Sage Green
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have this flat panel either, and now that I'm aware it exists, I'd prefer that over the 'bump' one too.

I did a quick look-around for parts fiche but it keeps going to the non-electric XC40s, which of course don't have the front trunk & panel. If you come across a part number, I'd like to know too.
They showed me the parts diagram at the dealership and curiously it only had one part number associated with both the flat panel and the molded insert with the hump. I didn’t catch the part number however. Perhaps that is one reason for the confusion at the dealer.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have both panels. I’ve been debating taking the one with the “bump” out as it felt like it was just taking up space. Decided to throw my old roadside emergency kit up there and now it feels like a little service cubby :cool:
Interesting - I only have the one with the divider (Bump) - must be market specific in what is provided and perhaps on the assembly line the person made an error and gave you both - would be nice to just have the flat one - provides a larger storage area.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8, Sage Green
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, that is what I thought too. With the flat one you actually have some space to put things in that compartment.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
698 Posts
Mine came with the Divider - but I never knew about the "flat panel" - wonder if aftermarket has it.
- I've removed it to get "more space" and i dump in (i) Bug-out backpack (ii) bottled waters
-- in absence of any internal liner, i simply use a small towel instead
- Meanwhile, the million ton cable is tucked away in the trunk (beneath the liner there's quite a deep cut out that fits to cable

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was curious about this and wondered if it was a safety issue. Both the Mach-E and the Corvette had compliance issues because they lacked an interior frunk release.

I could not find documentation on the dimensions of volume of a compartment that would require an emergency release.

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
267 Posts
I was curious about this and wondered if it was a safety issue. Both the Mach-E and the Corvette had compliance issues because they lacked an interior frunk release.
A lot of MME owners just remove the “compliance” divider in the trunk. I’ve kind of forgot about my P8’s frunk because it only has the interior release. But I use the hands free rear hatch almost every day.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
124 Posts
Kinda disappointed on the front FRUNK in our new XC40 P8. And why even bother with the molded divider with the center hump. You should see the space inside our Tesla X's Frunk, and it is an electrical release from either the dash or the APP. Use it all the time. On trips we place our large cooler in the Frunk. I know Volvo had to cut down on things to get it all in the XC40, but why not take that front trunk tire equipment and place in the rear underfloor and create a usable front Frunk.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
There is not a lot of room in the rear. My guess is they figured the frunk was a check box item and many of their buyers would not do much with it. Where the back storage space is what it is all about and the rear floor is already higher than the ICE equivalent cutting a tad into space. I use the front for the charger cable, and some other minor things I will likely never use much.

My theory on the divider is same as Mach-E, assure a child can not trap themselves in there and close the hood.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have both panels. I’ve been debating taking the one with the “bump” out as it felt like it was just taking up space. Decided to throw my old roadside emergency kit up there and now it feels like a little service cubby :cool:
Would you be so kind to look on the back of the flat panel and see if there is a part number? Might be able to order it and then get rid of the one with the bump out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Would you be so kind to look on the back of the flat panel and see if there is a part number? Might be able to order it and then get rid of the one with the bump out.
I found a video on youtube that shows the sticker.

Googling "32131200" gets you results relating to a Volvo Load Floor but it's >$400 and there are no pictures I can find. Seems insane for just that little piece to be so much. I'd sooner cut a piece of thin wood and staple some fabric to it than pay that much.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I found a video on youtube that shows the sticker.
View attachment 1025
Googling "32131200" gets you results relating to a Volvo Load Floor but it's >$400 and there are no pictures I can find. Seems insane for just that little piece to be so much. I'd sooner cut a piece of thin wood and staple some fabric to it than pay that much.
Thanks - looked up the part number at my dealer here in Canada and they are asking $230.00 Still quite pricey - considering the CA$ is at .80 cents to a US $ it should be more in Canada than the US - somehow they have interesting market specific pricing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts