Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,104 Posts
To me, this looks like more of an actual Apple CarOS - eg, running natively on the car, much like Android Automotive does. Such complete replacement of the car's basic driving/safety functions makes no sense if if the code is still running entirely on your iPhone. I guess we'll hear more about this "sneak peek" at a later date.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Since CarPlay runs on the phone, not the car - does that mean you won't even have a dashboard/speedometer/instrument cluster without your iPhone?
You still need your iPhone so this cannot be a replacement for AAOS. Most likely it'll run on top of whatever car operating system is running.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Ultimate Blue
5 Posts
apple just announced ios16 and it’s CarPlay capability. It takes over the car completely (imagine AAOS that we have in our recharge but it will be apple iOS and CarPlay). This includes the digital cluster and all other screens.

Volvo is listed as one of the companies developing cars staring late next year. So it seems Volvo is really ditching AAOS

View attachment 3881
I really really hope this happens!!! and that it's the reason they have not rolled out CarPlay.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I really really hope this happens!!! and that it's the reason they have not rolled out CarPlay.
You will be disappointed because iOS 16 is a few weeks away and the next gen CarPlay will be available in late 2023.

Version 2.2 of the car’s software is expected around June 26 supporting the current version of CarPlay.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Ultimate Blue
5 Posts
You will be disappointed because iOS 16 is a few weeks away and the next gen CarPlay will be available in late 2023.

Version 2.2 of the car’s software is expected around June 26 supporting the current version of CarPlay.
Jay, I would gladly accept ver 2.2 to include any ver of CarPlay. Before my XC40 I had a Prius Prime Advanced and they only updated the software once.. I love the idea of software defined systems that are upgraded as the developers improve upon them. What I don't like are auto manufactures that lay claim that the system will be upgraded with improvements but then never do. This is my first Volvo and yes right now it has some bugs like not sending out notifications if the alarm is triggered or re-locking the doors after 2 min.. But I have hope they will get some of them worked out and new features like being able to check the status of the car from my Apple Watch and lock and unlock..

But with all that I'm loving my XC40.. I love the look the pep and the hope of new cool features.

·
Registered
2022 Late XC40 Twin, 2017 BRZ
949 Posts
Volvo: “At this time, we don’t have anything to share beyond that we plan to support this next generation of Apple CarPlay in future vehicles.”

Polestar: “Apple CarPlay will come to Polestar 2 as part of an OTA update later this month. We’re also thrilled to announce that the next generation of CarPlay will be coming to Polestar cars in the future.”

·
Registered
58 Posts
CarPlay is just a mirroring software, and your iPhone is just projecting the image to the display. Of course to support CarPlay they have communication for supporting controls to interact with it.

The new CarPlay is just utilizing the ability to display on larger screens as well perform CANbus communications. They wont ditch an underlying interface and OS, otherwise your car would have to be tethered to the phone at all times. Not great for people who dont have an iPhone and not great for those who dont want to use CarPlay.

The new phones are just powerful enough at this point to support these type of abilities and drive large external displays.

·
Registered
75 Posts
CarPlay is just a mirroring software, and your iPhone is just projecting the image to the display. Of course to support CarPlay they have communication for supporting controls to interact with it.

The new CarPlay is just utilizing the ability to display on larger screens as well perform CANbus communications. They wont ditch an underlying interface and OS, otherwise your car would have to be tethered to the phone at all times. Not great for people who dont have an iPhone and not great for those who dont want to use CarPlay.

The new phones are just powerful enough at this point to support these type of abilities and drive large external displays.
I am just curious what happens when your phone is being used to provide the visuals for your speedometer and then the phone crashes, gets unplugged, etc. etc. Theres a reason AAOS is not allowed to be in control of the speedo and thats because it is not a real time os just like an iPhone wouldnt be, so how they plan to get around that is very interesting to me. "Sorry officer, my phone was lagging because it got too hot, didnt realize i was doing 95!"

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am just curious what happens when your phone is being used to provide the visuals for your speedometer and then the phone crashes, gets unplugged, etc. etc. Theres a reason AAOS is not allowed to be in control of the speedo and thats because it is not a real time os just like an iPhone wouldnt be, so how they plan to get around that is very interesting to me. "Sorry officer, my phone was lagging because it got too hot, didnt realize i was doing 95!"
This is the most interesting question and the one all the manufacturers were probably asking their engineers yesterday afternoon. I think Apple may have jumped the shark a bit with the announcement honestly-it seems they are "working on" this type of system but they haven't integrated with any manufacturers yet and it's far from settled law.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Does seem like a good deal of hype phase marketing. I can't imagine you will not be able to buy a Volvo that can't run without having to buy an Apple phone, at which point you have the car we have today plus some evolution over the next 18 months.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would imagine just like how Carplay operates now. If your iPhone disconnects for whatever reason, Carpay just becomes unavailable and everything reverts back to the default infotainment system.

Reactions: houkura

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
96 Posts
Does seem like a good deal of hype phase marketing. I can't imagine you will not be able to buy a Volvo that can't run without having to buy an Apple phone, at which point you have the car we have today plus some evolution over the next 18 months.
That's all it is. I will never own a car that forces you to have a certain brand of phone.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think you will be lucky to even buy one exactly like what we have in 18 months! I keep reading about all of these new technologies coming to Volvo (Embla for example) and other manufacturers but they can barely fill existing orders with the "old" technology. Has the Q4 E-Tron even arrived on US shores yet?
That's all it is. I will never own a car that forces you to have a certain brand of phone.
pretty sure you will never face that decision unless apple builds their own car.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I have always said Apple is wasting its time building an Apple Car, they need to partner with car makers set some minimum hardware standards and offer a true AAOS alternative. This looks like a small step in that direction.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have always said Apple is wasting its time building an Apple Car, they need to partner with car makers set some minimum hardware standards and offer a true AAOS alternative. This looks like a small step in that direction.
Agreed. The new Sony/Honda partnership seems like a smart marriage to build an ev.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts