Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Since CarPlay runs on the phone, not the car - does that mean you won't even have a dashboard/speedometer/instrument cluster without your iPhone?
I don’t see anything that suggests that this is anything more than a CarPlay over your native system like it currently exists-just with more functionality.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I am just curious what happens when your phone is being used to provide the visuals for your speedometer and then the phone crashes, gets unplugged, etc. etc. Theres a reason AAOS is not allowed to be in control of the speedo and thats because it is not a real time os just like an iPhone wouldnt be, so how they plan to get around that is very interesting to me. "Sorry officer, my phone was lagging because it got too hot, didnt realize i was doing 95!"
This is the most interesting question and the one all the manufacturers were probably asking their engineers yesterday afternoon. I think Apple may have jumped the shark a bit with the announcement honestly-it seems they are "working on" this type of system but they haven't integrated with any manufacturers yet and it's far from settled law.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Does seem like a good deal of hype phase marketing. I can't imagine you will not be able to buy a Volvo that can't run without having to buy an Apple phone, at which point you have the car we have today plus some evolution over the next 18 months.
I think you will be lucky to even buy one exactly like what we have in 18 months! I keep reading about all of these new technologies coming to Volvo (Embla for example) and other manufacturers but they can barely fill existing orders with the "old" technology. Has the Q4 E-Tron even arrived on US shores yet?
That's all it is. I will never own a car that forces you to have a certain brand of phone.
pretty sure you will never face that decision unless apple builds their own car.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have always said Apple is wasting its time building an Apple Car, they need to partner with car makers set some minimum hardware standards and offer a true AAOS alternative. This looks like a small step in that direction.
Agreed. The new Sony/Honda partnership seems like a smart marriage to build an ev.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts