Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are some old threads about this, but I wanted to see if anyone has started to have internet connection issues recently and is aware of any fixes. First, I did get the 1.7 update. For the last three days, my car has not been able to establish a connection. I have rebooted the system multiple times, done a factory reset, turned SIM data off and on, and nothing works. I've seen people say locking the car overnight helps, done that too.

I've already been through the odeal of getting my IHU replaced and was without my car almost the whole month of August while the new unit was being shipped. I've already been in contact with Volvo and they are trying to squeeze me in even though service appoints are booked for 2 weeks. I'm just holding out hope that maybe someone here has another idea I can try. Thank you!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Since 1.7 I have noticed that often there is no internet connection for the first 1-2 minutes after I start driving. That was not happening before. Also, it does seem like I’m losing connection more frequently, but it comes back in a minute or two. Have not had any long term disconnects.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Onyx, 01/21, v1.7
48 Posts
Have you all tried the modem reboot by holding the defrost button? Despite rumors to the contrary it still works, you just have to hold it a looong time (at least a minute.) I was having LTE connection issues starting shortly before updating to 1.7 and they persisted after the update, but since rebooting the modem it has been rock solid.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting... I tried the defrost thing many times, and like others, thought it didn't do anything with the new update. I've held it down for maybe 30 seconds tops. I'm going to try it now. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
219 Posts
I'm not sure what camp that you fall into, but I've read about 3 different resolutions that people here have reported:
  1. Service center: replaced TCAM unit.
  2. Service center: fixed loose cable connection (not common).
  3. Let your vehicle enter a deep sleep each night by locking the doors. (it may take up to a week for LTE to come back)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Jtrock summed it up perfectly.

Let us know what fixes it and if dealer route what they did.

Good luck.

Ps it is good to suggest / mention 1 and 2 in Js list to the dealership. Hope you have the good service folk who listen.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
201 Posts
My experience with the LTE. Totally software. Every time driver exit the car after minute or two the LTE disconnect. After re-entry the whole process starts again - login to LTE. Sometimes if the process is too fast takes minutes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had almost zero issues with lost LTE for the first 3 months. Rebooted maybe twice. The first few days after downloading 1.7 the first couple of days I lost internet 3-4 times. The last 3-4 days I have not lost it once.
Who knows?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I took a 10 minute trip to the driving range after work today. When I got back in my car after about an hour, the LTE finally connected again for the first time since Tuesday afternoon!! The only thing I did differently today was to perform a factory reset, but that was about 5 or 6 hours prior. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but per #3 on JT’s list, it probably just needed time and was eventually going to start working again. I just sucks not having any control over this.

·
Registered
108 Posts
So I took a 10 minute trip to the driving range after work today. When I got back in my car after about an hour, the LTE finally connected again for the first time since Tuesday afternoon!! The only thing I did differently today was to perform a factory reset, but that was about 5 or 6 hours prior. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but per #3 on JT’s list, it probably just needed time and was eventually going to start working again. I just sucks not having any control over this.
Apparently it wanted to go golfing! Hellooooo....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know there are some old threads about this, but I wanted to see if anyone has started to have internet connection issues recently and is aware of any fixes. First, I did get the 1.7 update. For the last three days, my car has not been able to establish a connection. I have rebooted the system multiple times, done a factory reset, turned SIM data off and on, and nothing works. I've seen people say locking the car overnight helps, done that too.

I've already been through the odeal of getting my IHU replaced and was without my car almost the whole month of August while the new unit was being shipped. I've already been in contact with Volvo and they are trying to squeeze me in even though service appoints are booked for 2 weeks. I'm just holding out hope that maybe someone here has another idea I can try. Thank you!
I have same identical problem only after taking the v1.7 software update. Is there anyway to go back to a previous software version? I have learned that I'm not taking future software updates when they first come out. I'll let someone else be the guinea pigs to find the bugs!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
No know way to do a roll back. I suppose you could ask service to but I doubt they even have the old version available and you might end up in a even more undefined (aka worse) state after a roll back.

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
156 Posts
So I got the internet gremlins to eat after midnight and this morning there was no internet connection on the car. Tried the reset from the home button a couple of times without success. Also tried the modem reset from the front defrost button but no matter how log I kept it pressed it would not reset.
While I wait for the dealer to get back to me for an appointment, is there anything else I could go?
Car is currently locked and charging in the garage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I got the internet gremlins to eat after midnight and this morning there was no internet connection on the car. Tried the reset from the home button a couple of times without success. Also tried the modem reset from the front defrost button but no matter how log I kept it pressed it would not reset.
While I wait for the dealer to get back to me for an appointment, is there anything else I could go?
Car is currently locked and charging in the garage.
I had the same exact experience. I was all ready to drop the car off at the dealer and grab a loaner and it magically started working again, and that was after about 3 days. My advice, as annoying as it is, is to give it a few days and see if it comes back up before going through the hassle of scheduling a visit with the dealer.

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
156 Posts
I had the same exact experience. I was all ready to drop the car off at the dealer and grab a loaner and it magically started working again, and that was after about 3 days. My advice, as annoying as it is, is to give it a few days and see if it comes back up before going through the hassle of scheduling a visit with the dealer.
I don’t think they would fit me if at least until next week. I’ll will keep an eye, hopefully the gremlins go away after tonight.
Very annoying.

Edit: Went ahead and made the appointment, the sooner one was Dec 2nd. Hopefully by then it fixed itself.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
If it happens rarely I would not take it in. But if more than 3 times in a week and 5 times in a month then I would take it in.

Have the list of things you want them to try in order. (I cannot remember the list but it is around here or someone with a better memory will quote it).

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
42 Posts
I have had to reset the modem multiple times in the last couple of weeks. Yesterday, the modem went out again and, as an experiment, I did not manually reset it. I parked at a store, did some shopping, and returned to find the modem working again.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts