Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving with the cruise control on early one morning before the sun was up in pounding rain. The pilot assist was coming on and off because the lines weren't that visible. In reading the manual there is supposed to be a slight vibration in the steering wheel but I never felt any.

Having worked in automation in aircraft for a while, it would seem like a chime when it goes on or off would be better for something you depend on for steering.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
So I was driving with the cruise control on early one morning before the sun was up in pounding rain. The pilot assist was coming on and off because the lines weren't that visible. In reading the manual there is supposed to be a slight vibration in the steering wheel but I never felt any.

Having worked in automation in aircraft for a while, it would seem like a chime when it goes on or off would be better for something you depend on for steering.

Thoughts?
Never had that happen but I have only tested the system for short periods of time. When I have tested it there was a vibration when it disconnected (disconnect I did get was from not jiggling the wheel enough).

Have you tried using it on a good stretch and keeping the wheel un jiggled to see if it vibrates on disconcert through that pathway.

Maybe failure due to lines triggers causes a different behavior than failure due to jiggles.

A suggestion. Modify your sig so it has your cars info. Helps folk give useful answers as we then know what version of the software you are running.

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never had that happen but I have only tested the system for short periods of time. When I have tested it there was a vibration when it disconnected (disconnect I did get was from not jiggling the wheel enough).

Have you tried using it on a good stretch and keeping the wheel un jiggled to see if it vibrates on disconcert through that pathway.

Maybe failure due to lines triggers causes a different behavior than failure due to jiggles.

A suggestion. Modify your sig so it has your cars info. Helps folk give useful answers as we then know what version of the software you are running.
Sorry should have done that. It would have been the V1.6 (or whatever pre-1.7 was). I was driving the car to the dealership to get the winter rims and tires we had ordered put on and and while it was there it got the the 1.7 software so it will be interesting to see if there is a difference.

The only time I have gotten the steering wheel jiggle is when the car is drifting out of the lane and the car knows this because it can see the line(s). I never felt any steering wheel jiggle when the pilot assist turned off. Only by cross checking the display when the car wasn't making a corner did I know that it had turned off.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Sorry should have done that. It would have been the V1.6 (or whatever pre-1.7 was). I was driving the car to the dealership to get the winter rims and tires we had ordered put on and and while it was there it got the the 1.7 software so it will be interesting to see if there is a difference.

The only time I have gotten the steering wheel jiggle is when the car is drifting out of the lane and the car knows this because it can see the line(s). I never felt any steering wheel jiggle when the pilot assist turned off. Only by cross checking the display when the car wasn't making a corner did I know that it had turned off.
That sounds horrific. Not making the corner should not be how the car tells you it is off.

I hope someone else has experienced this or has experienced different so you can now yours needs fixing.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Recharge ACC steering assist gets pretty bad on tight roads. The wheel shakes sometimes and a couple times I have almost lost control. I know I can turn off the steering assist but it’s just annoying that it does that. Hopefully its something the dealer or a another software update can fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts