Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge Sage
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all –
I just purchased the XC40 Recharge on Thursday, and so far, it is fun to drive. I have owned a few Volvo's in the past, starting with a 1999 S90 and a 2004 S40. Me and my wife kind of abandon Volvo when Ford purchased them and became loyalist of Subaru. I love their cars, but we needed a new vehicle and wanted electric. So I am back in a Volvo.

I test drove a 2020 XC40 Inscription during COVID; my wife was high risk, so she never came with me. This is the first car I bought that I did not do a test drive on. I didn't think that the 'nubuck' material would have wool in it, but it does. It is not 100% wool, but a 'blend' as Volvo told me. My wife is highly allergic to wool – she came with me to pick up the XC40 at a dealership an hour away. It wasn't a pleasureful experience for her driving home.

I am ok with taking the door panels off and having someone I work with make different make inserts where the nubuck is on the doors. My issue is replacing the material on the center console. I am trying to get Volvo to tell me exactly where all the nubuck is. Any other suggestions?

Glad I did not wait for a C40 – I read a news article that states, "The Volvo C40's wool textile upholstery is inspired by Scandinavian living, says Rekha Meena, senior design manager, colour and material: "The rooms in Swedish houses are usually characterised by a cosy and warm feeling, and we tried to recreate this feeling using wool."

Sorry for the long post; it is my first.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Sorry about your wife’s allergy and the car. I am shocked there is wool in it as I expected it to be all synthetic fibers. I am not a fan of the unbuckle and was hoping Katzkin would have had replacement leather seats, but nothing at this point.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge Sage
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about your wife’s allergy and the car. I am shocked there is wool in it as I expected it to be all synthetic fibers. I am not a fan of the unbuckle and was hoping Katzkin would have had replacement leather seats, but nothing at this point.
Thanks, yeah she has never been in a car that actually used wool anywhere. I was surprised, myself.

I do not mind not having all leather seats. Here in Florida, black leather gets super hot, so these seats are great for my climate. I can be in shorts and not burn my legs when into the car.

I would have rather prefer a choice of color though, maybe grey. I loved my midnight blue S90 with the grey leather interior.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I test drove a 2020 XC40 Inscription during COVID; my wife was high risk, so she never came with me. This is the first car I bought that I did not do a test drive on. I didn't think that the 'nubuck' material would have wool in it, but it does. It is not 100% wool, but a 'blend' as Volvo told me.
Dictionary:
nubuck
[ˈno͞oˌbək]

NOUN
cowhide leather that has been rubbed on the outer side of the hide to give it a feel like that of suede.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge Sage
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dictionary:
nubuck
[ˈno͞oˌbək]

NOUN
cowhide leather that has been rubbed on the outer side of the hide to give it a feel like that of suede.
This is what Volvo sent when I inquired. Seems Volvo has a different definition of nubuck.

Your XC40 Recharge has leather and nubuck interior. The nubuck interior can be sourced from sheep among a number of other animals. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and your wife.

I honestly feel it is not in the seats, but in the 'tennis ball' material on the doors, center console, and trunk. I wonder if I can request the MSDS sheets on the materials used to make 100% sure. Here skin doesnt get itchy on the seats, but it does on the other areas. For now I am getting the peelable protective plastic film you use on carpets to cover the doors and center console to see if that helps.

·
Super Moderator
2019 T5 R-Design
308 Posts
I honestly feel it is not in the seats, but in the 'tennis ball' material on the doors, center console, and trunk.
The felt-like material is made from 97% recycled water bottles and I doubt there is any animal product in it. I’m really surprised to read that Volvo has any wool in the car. That’s unusual. I think they will soon not use any animal skin in any model. It’s already a very rare thing in Europe, in any make.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.