Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2022 XC40 Ultimate, Sage Green
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve noticed when the pedal is to the metal (very rarely and not with the boss in the car), the car makes a sound like a zipper. I’ve not tried accelerating much beyond 80kph (50mph), so I don’t know if it persists at any speed, but it’s beyond any traction control intervention. Anyone else experience this?

· Registered
17 Posts
I have something potentially similar in the 2023 C40 Ultimate. At full throttle, I was describing it as a mild grinding sound, almost like a flexible piece of plastic rubbing against a fan. Might be similar to what you describe as a zipper - in my case, it is a fast sound. Most noticeable going from about 30 mph to about 55 mph. Brought it to the dealer and they said they couldn't recreate it. When I took a ride with the tech, I could hear it and feel it but it was less pronounced from the passenger side. He said whatever it was is normal. Haven't given up yet because it doesn't seem normal/right, but it's also only under full acceleration which admittedly I don't do a whole lot.

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I might need to talk to a tech as well. It certainly doesn’t sound as if anything is broken, but a zipper or fabric tearing is an odd sound for even an EV to make. Just need to sure nothing is wrong.

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took it in yesterday. They found some gravel etc on the left lower control arm (I have no idea where it came from as I have never gone off-road, and the climate doesn’t lead to ice buildup on the coast), and charged me a hundred for their time - they tested it and whatever noise they heard had gone away. Haven’t tested it properly yet, but blipped the accelerator on the way home and it’s still there. I’ll record it and send them a copy to do my due diligence. Doesn’t sound like anything is breaking, but I don’t want to be accused of negligence down the road if it does. Oh well, winter rims have been re-torqued and the car has been washed!

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was dubious about the gravel bit, but took it out on the highway today, gave it some ‘wellie’ to 80kph and wouldn’t you know it - no more zipper noise. It was wet out and the pavement wasn’t the best, so the front wheels skittered and hunted a bit as the back end sat down. So I think what may have happened was a combination of torque and the front suspension lifting, causing the debris to make a bit of noise sitting on the control arm. How the gravel got there is a mystery and I’m still not completely convinced, but nothing is broken or damaged, according to the techs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts