Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this EV stuff is getting inside my head a bit much. Last night I had a dream that a friend borrowed my P8 and didn't quite make it back to my house (about 2 miles short) before dying on the side of the road with 0% SOC. My friend called me for assistance and I debated how I could easily & quickly get enough charge (1 or 2%) into it to make it home. In my dream I had another EV and wondered if I could somehow tether the two and backflow the energy into the dead P8. Or take a 12VDC to 110VAC inverter that I have and simply use it to charge the P8 from my ICE using the 110V cable supplied by Volvo. All this got me wondering .... what would you do in such a situation? What alternatives are there, other than simply calling roadside assistance and waiting who knows how long?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Find a friend that owns a Hyundai Ioniq 5. They can charge you up from their battery. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Alas our battery is a one direction only a fair. I love the idea of the two way designs. I hope more will be coming that can do that.

You could bring a geny with you and charge it nice and slow with the cable.

Also a shame you cannot tow it with it doing regenerative charging :) but as that would be resistance it would be a pita to tow.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
142 Posts
There is a Tesla video showing someone towing about 50mph a Tesla and after about 20+ miles they had something like 5 or so miles of "regeneration" charge.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Where I live know a few people with access to car trailers, they have already pre-ribbed me about having to pick me up!! Probably payback for stirring about the increased cost of fuel

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Onyx, 01/21, v1.8
61 Posts
I thought about this problem at some point too. Briefly looked for portable battery packs but didn’t find anything and probably anything portable would be too little charge to help anyway. Now want to start a business buying up used EV batteries, strap a few to a flatbed and make a mobile high-speed DC charger that you can call and get a quick charge 😀

·
Registered
88 Posts
The EV ecosystem is a work in progress, and when it comes to charging infrastructure, there are some key pieces missing from the puzzle. There will surely be a need for some form of portable charging on demand, and this is the niche that SparkCharge is looking to fill with its new app platform, BoostEV. The company’s modular, portable system—called the Roadie—is designed to make DC fast charging mobile. Now, EV drivers can order a charge at the push of a button on a smartphone app the way you might order a rideshare vehicle—anytime, anywhere.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was recently looking at these for my house as a way to power critical circuits for a few hours during a power outage. A bit heavy, but if you brought a couple B300 batteries (3kwh each) and 1 or 2 AC300's (depends if you want to charge 120v or 240v), plug in the charge cable that came with the car, wait some time, and you could maybe get about 15 miles. Bring more batteries for even longer range.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I loved my first gen awd cross country :) had it for 23 years. Live my P8 even more :)

how do your ice cars feel to drive now you are getting use to ev?

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
357 Posts
I loved my first gen awd cross country :) had it for 23 years. Live my P8 even more :)

how do your ice cars feel to drive now you are getting use to ev?
Still getting used to one pedal drive. In the begging I was thinking my break lights are not working and somebody will rear end me. Not true of course. Dynamics are not comparable. EV is superior. Tested the adaptive cruise control and car drives fine. Acceleration is blast. Have a feeling the car goes faster than 4.9 seconds to 100km/h. Feel it can go faster but Volvo will always de-tune their engine. Perhaps in the future they will introduce sport mode but that is a dream for now. Car feels like nice phone on wheels. Few things are still missing but they are coming. Very, very well made and well designed car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts