2021 XC40 Recharge
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Pro (est Dec 2021)
4 Posts
Well, this is a pretty convincing demo:

An XC40 P8 Recharge was fully submerged in 1.7m of water, then started and driven up a ramp via remote control. There are a few jump cuts and I'd be amazed if it didn't lose traction at the top of the ramp with the weight of all that water inside. But still, rather impressive if not warranty-voiding. ;)

I'd be curious to see a translation of the subtitles which might mention professional goldfish.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I suspect the reason this isn't a commercial in the US is precisely because Volvo probably doesn't want a headline of "Florida man drowns in Volvo." ;-)

Also that video is awesome, thanks @P8Mayes!
Ha, could only imagine all the people that already drive through floods and floating away this would just make them more enabled.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I would love to see the same tank setup but with 2 ramps and the cars windows being up driving down ramp through water and back out. Be nice to see how many times it could do it before failure.

Another obvious comment but if they were so sure it would work why not have a driver in scuba gear inside the car vs using a remote control unit? I suppose risking a driver (if car died getting out would be hard). Is not really a Volvo attitude. Could of had a wider tank then getting out would of been safe…

Of topic but I lived this Volvo add

Reactions: P8Mayes

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, this is a pretty convincing demo:

An XC40 P8 Recharge was fully submerged in 1.7m of water, then started and driven up a ramp via remote control. There are a few jump cuts and I'd be amazed if it didn't lose traction at the top of the ramp with the weight of all that water inside. But still, rather impressive if not warranty-voiding. ;)

I'd be curious to see a translation of the subtitles which might mention professional goldfish.
Below is the translation. It didn't mention the goldfish😂.

An XC40 Pure Electric Version to be put into a water tank

Water depth: 1.7 meter
1.7 times the depth of the national standard test (I think it means China's national standard, which should be just 1 meter. In that case, the car won't be fully submerged)

500kg weight was added, and all windows were opened. It allows the car to quickly sink to the bottom.

(The man said): It's about the time. Drive the car out.

The whole car was submerged, and can drive out normally. The battery, electric control and electric motor are all working properly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you @tonyniu! Very much appreciated, though I was also hoping for something along the lines of "Professional stunt fish. Do not let your goldfish attempt."
Yeah, LOL. I think they put the fish there to prove it's 100% safe in water (no danger of electric shock at all). I think that's super important for EV owners to be assured. Not just you can drive the car out of water.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I wonder if it would float if the windows were closed.
I don't think so. The car might sink more slowly with the windows closed. In addition, if you were to attempt to drive through rapidly flowing water the water would probably lift the car and carry it some ways before it sank. I don't think floating and sinking slowly are exactly the same thing. My opinion is based off the fact that nearly all production cars include mechanisms to drain water when it ends up inside the body, especially the doors.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Oh I know :) I wrote above wanting to see one driven in to deep water with the windows open.

I am fascinated by the extremes to which a design can survive. I am dying to try out / have a resin to try out off road mode … as long as that does not leave me loosing another Volvo on a logging road.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts