Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I had an opportunity to examine the ChargePoint Flex, the ChargePoint app on iPhone and AAOS, and complete the integration (pairing) with my iPhone and C40. I began by upgrading the apps and iPhone to the latest versions and then confirming all were connected to my home network. (ChargePoint iPhone app version 5.102.2, ChargePoint offered by Volvo Cars on AAOS version 1.7-8-0, iPhone iOS 15.6) I then completed the pairing process to link the ChargePoint app running on AAOS to my iPhone and the ChargePoint Flex. The result is access to metrics which track usage and cost. One additional benefit of this work has been to link my ChargePoint Flex to the time-of-use rates from my local electric utility. The ChargePoint Flex will now initiate scheduling to maximize the lowest electric rates. Sweet!

Attached below is a photo of the Charging Activity screen within the ChargePoint app on my iPhone. Notice the difference prior to integration and after integration with the two symbols to the far left. The blue dot is prior to integration and the green car is after integration. It is my belief that the latest version of ChargePoint app for AAOS offered by Volvo Cars facilitated the integration.
Font Screenshot Technology Number Parallel

·
Registered
2022 Volvo C40 Fjord Blue Pure Electric Recharge Ultimat
575 Posts
Recently I had an opportunity to examine the ChargePoint Flex, the ChargePoint app on iPhone and AAOS, and complete the integration (pairing) with my iPhone and C40. I began by upgrading the apps and iPhone to the latest versions and then confirming all were connected to my home network. (ChargePoint iPhone app version 5.102.2, ChargePoint offered by Volvo Cars on AAOS version 1.7-8-0, iPhone iOS 15.6) I then completed the pairing process to link the ChargePoint app running on AAOS to my iPhone and the ChargePoint Flex. The result is access to metrics which track usage and cost. One additional benefit of this work has been to link my ChargePoint Flex to the time-of-use rates from my local electric utility. The ChargePoint Flex will now initiate scheduling to maximize the lowest electric rates. Sweet!

Attached below is a photo of the Charging Activity screen within the ChargePoint app on my iPhone. Notice the difference prior to integration and after integration with the two symbols to the far left. The blue dot is prior to integration and the green car is after integration. It is my belief that the latest version of ChargePoint app for AAOS offered by Volvo Cars facilitated the integration.
View attachment 4500
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing. How is ChargePoint compared to Electrify America in terms of rates/charging $$ and the usability of the app while charging? I have only used EA as of now, but I’ll want to do the same process as you mentioned for CP as well.

I have the CP app on my iPhone but will have to validate the version on my C40 AAOS. I don’t see CP having a good network where I am as compared to EA.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing. How is ChargePoint compared to Electrify America in terms of rates/charging $$ and the usability of the app while charging? I have only used EA as of now, but I’ll want to do the same process as you mentioned for CP as well.

I have the CP app on my iPhone but will have to validate the version on my C40 AAOS. I don’t see CP having a good network where I am as compared to EA.
Like most new Volvo EV owners, I am using Electrify America exclusively until my free charging expires. I may take advantage of the one-year free membership after my free charging is depleted. In my location, EA with membership will cost thirty-one cents per kw. Without the membership, at $4.00 per month, the cost would be forty-three cents per kw. The ChargePoint stations I would use will cost forty-three cents per kw. These prices are effective today, 8/8/22, but may change.

Long term, my charging may be focused on the ChargePoint network since their chargers are more plentiful in my locations. They are also rapidly expanding and are at the best locations for safety, restrooms, food/drink, etc.

When I set up my ChargePoint account, I completed a test charge and the process at the charge station worked fine. It is different from the process at Electrify America, but easy to perform.

It is important to note, I set up the ChargePoint app on the C40 center screen in the April/May timeframe. Recently, a new and improved ChargePoint app showed up on AAOS. I installed the new app and deleted the old ChargePoint app via the Google Play Store.

·
Registered
225 Posts

View attachment 4500
I am not convinced that's what the green house icon is for. I have installed ChargePoint for Volvo for AAOS since I got the C40 back in April and logged in using my ChargePoint credentials. There are two ChargePoint apps in AAOS store: one is ChargePoint for Volvo and one is just ChargePoint. I installed ChargePoint for Volvo since that has notification integration with AAOS. I have the ChargePoint Home Flex and have programmed it with time of use rates for the last 2 years now. There is no difference between before and after logging on to ChargePoint for Volvo for AAOS.
Mobile phone Telephony Communication Device Portable communications device Mobile device

The ChargePoint app actually disabled the ability to change the amperages of ChargePoint Home Flex. It's pretty stupid. Some idiot probably selected a larger amps setting than what was installed in their breakers.

·
Registered
19 Posts

View attachment 4500
I’m confused- what did the actual integration get you? Aside from the icon what was the difference?

I have a charge point and the app now, and I have the charging metrics, costs etc (C40 on order) - what did the AAOS integration add specifically that you didn’t have before?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m confused- what did the actual integration get you? Aside from the icon what was the difference?

I have a charge point and the app now, and I have the charging metrics, costs etc (C40 on order) - what did the AAOS integration add specifically that you didn’t have before?
I noticed one benefit of the ChargePoint for Volvo Cars AAOS app relates to the time-of-use rates for my electric utility. Prior to installing this version of the app, I entered the schedule based on my understanding of the off-peak hours. Now the app utilizes my location and accesses my electric utility to find the best hours. Since the utility may change the off-peak hours at any time, this approach seemed better than my entering hours.

It is possible Volvo may find ways to alter the range via future OTA updates and that could affect the metric calculations. This integration may result in more accurate metrics.

For me, this was my first observation of an AAOS app engineer working with Volvo to improve their app. I like that and hope to see more. Of course, not everyone shares my enthusiasm for my C40 and the AAOS system.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I noticed one benefit of the ChargePoint for Volvo Cars AAOS app relates to the time-of-use rates for my electric utility.
I had this when I installed my flex a year ago. The selection of provider was done via a search and not via GPS, that may have changed.

It is possible Volvo may find ways to alter the range via future OTA updates and that could affect the metric calculations. This integration may result in more accurate metrics.
No, ChargePoint uses a model of a vehicle specified in your profile data, not data from the vehicle nor does it adapt the distance figures to your driving style or conditions.

I have not seen any evidence that the AAOS app has any vehicle integration. A test would be to go into your profile and lie about the vehicle type. I fully expect the in car app would cheerfully accept this lie.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had this when I installed my flex a year ago. The selection of provider was done via a search and not via GPS, that may have changed.

No, ChargePoint uses a model of a vehicle specified in your profile data, not data from the vehicle nor does it adapt the distance figures to your driving style or conditions.

I have not seen any evidence that the AAOS app has any vehicle integration. A test would be to go into your profile and lie about the vehicle type. I fully expect the in car app would cheerfully accept this lie.
You are correct that the current ChargePoint for Volvo Cars app has its limitations. I freely admit to viewing both my C40 and AAOS through rose-colored glasses. For me, the best part of EV ownership is participating in the evolution of technology. My goal in initiating this thread was to encourage those who are new to AAOS to begin their journey of working with AAOS specific apps and tracking how they evolve via future updates.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The original Volvo branded ChargePoint app developed by ChargePoint and delivered in XC40s did have integration features.

These included a reminder to charge when you parked below a set battery level and automatically displaying nearby chargers. It also is able to send charging station location to Google maps, but this doesn't really demonstrate vehicle integration.

I am unclear if these features made it into the general app distributed by ChargePoint for AAOS.

Source: Volvo ChargePoint In-Car App: Recharge Models with Google Android Auto OS - AUTOMOTIVE RHYTHMS

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The original Volvo branded ChargePoint app developed by ChargePoint and delivered in XC40s did have integration features.

These included a reminder to charge when you parked below a set battery level and automatically displaying nearby chargers. It also is able to send charging station location to Google maps, but this doesn't really demonstrate vehicle integration.

I am unclear if these features made it into the general app distributed by ChargePoint for AAOS.

Source: Volvo ChargePoint In-Car App: Recharge Models with Google Android Auto OS - AUTOMOTIVE RHYTHMS
Yes, the features you describe were in the original version and are still present in the newer version. In the ChargePoint for Volvo Cars version the developers are using a “pairing” process which I do not recall using when I installed the previous version. I was somewhat surprised when I discovered a new app versus simply updating the existing one. I assumed a new architecture which did not lend itself to an update. Curious!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I noticed one benefit of the ChargePoint for Volvo Cars AAOS app relates to the time-of-use rates for my electric utility. Prior to installing this version of the app, I entered the schedule based on my understanding of the off-peak hours. Now the app utilizes my location and accesses my electric utility to find the best hours. Since the utility may change the off-peak hours at any time, this approach seemed better than my entering hours.

For me, this was my first observation of an AAOS app engineer working with Volvo to improve their app. I like that and hope to see more. Of course, not everyone shares my enthusiasm for my C40 and the AAOS system.
Hmmm interesting. I still kind of don’t get it since the ChargePoint app knows my utility provider and my location already.

However my provider doesn’t have peak hours and off hours do I don’t know what that would look like.

In any case, very cool integration! 😊

1 - 12 of 12 Posts