Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Did anyone go from gas-powered to XC40 Recharge and have your auto insurance DOUBLED??
Did anyone go from gas-powered to XC40 Recharge and have your auto insurance DOUBLED??
No had a 2019 XC40 ICE went to a 2021 XC40 P8 Recharge - Insurance was actually slightly less for me here in Canada.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No had a 2019 XC40 ICE went to a 2021 XC40 P8 Recharge - Insurance was actually slightly less for me here in Canada.
Might be a Canada thing? I am going from a V60 to a Recharge...DOUBLE, is the Farmers quote stating "EV's are ore expensive to fix". I am actively gettin quotes! AAA is already less, so I will say bye-bye to Farmers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not sure why, but my XC40 P8 insurance is cheaper than Honda Accord 2018. (Costco Connects)
They may not have enough data...that the EV is more expensive to fix.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Actually the insurance went down going from our 19 RDX AWD Advance to 21 XC40 T5 and then my P8 was same cost as the T5, but I think the insurance company (State Farm) did not know how to price it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine almost doubled with USAA coming from a 2018 Tacoma. Surprising since this one has many more accident avoidance features.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
125 Posts
I didn't buy one yet, but my insurance would go up about 33%, mostly from collision. Not surprising since my current X1 is only worth around $15-20K. (USAA has pretty good rates.)
EDIT: That's compared just to the current coverage for the X1, not a 33% increase over the policy including that and the BRZ.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I think as insurers figure out the costs associated with repairing an EV they may catch on with the higher rates.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
140 Posts
Picked my car up today after trading in my XC60 and my insurance dropped a little over $100

·
Registered
609 Posts
My insurance was $120 with Audi A3 - keeping the same coverage, P8 is now $155. Was told by Amica (which I’ve insured with over 10 years, excellent services and responses), that’s mainly
due to the value of the vehicle and the engine size (the bigger the engines, the higher the risks of accident presumably!)

Ironically, there currently a $500 check rebate with Amica through Bonus Drive. I’ve submitted the request, awaiting for confirmation. Others here have received such check rebate through Bonus Drive with other insurance companies as well so check it out !

·
Registered
609 Posts
My insurance was $120 with Audi A3 - keeping the same coverage, P8 is now $155. Was told by Amica (which I’ve insured with over 10 years, excellent services and responses), that’s mainly
due to the value of the vehicle and the engine size (the bigger the engines, the higher the risks of accident presumably!)

Ironically, there currently a $500 check rebate with Amica through Bonus Drive. I’ve submitted the request, awaiting for confirmation. Others here have received such check rebate through Bonus Drive with other insurance companies as well so check it out !
I’d just received a quote from Costco Connect. Same coverage, the cost is similar - at least now I know I’m not totally over paying !

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Chrysler 300 to the P8 went down quite a bit.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Thunder Grey
46 Posts
Mine went up $919 for my 12 month policy with AAA. I upgraded from an EV- a 2015 eGolf. I haven’t had time to shop around to see if elsewhere might be less expensive.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
255 Posts
I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, but my XC40 insurance rate is all of $10/month more than my 4Runner's was, same coverage level. I, too, think that maybe State Farm's actuarial tables are not yet up to date on it. Fingers crossed! It's actually one of reasons that tipped me to the P8, versus a MachE or Model 3, my other considered options.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Went form 2019 Acura RDX Tech my insurance lowered 150 over 6 months. And it is the lowest to ensure out 4 cars. 2018 GLE, 2018 Audi Q3, and 2018 Nissan Rogue. So far every car that I plug into the insurance app and get a quote the P8 is cheaper. I have Progressive.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I still thinks the insurance copies are not set up correctly for the P8 and are treating liek the T4/5. My P8 was the same exact rate as my wife's T5. I have to believe repairing an EV is more costly.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Not only more costly but also 402 bhp… you would think a more expensive and costly car would be more costly to insure.

I wonder though if the P8 has better active defenses ( breaking for you etc) and also are there any government to insurance companies help if they insuring evs.

or the most likely. It’s just kind of random.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts