Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread I mentioned that after charging, yesterday, my instrument screen's nav view was frozen at the place I charged.

Just now I went and rebooted the center screen (by holding the home button down for ~20 seconds) thinking it needed to refresh, but now the Nav view in the instrument panel is empty. Doing a center-panel power-down made no difference either.

I did not find any tricks for resetting things other than the center screen or the cellular modem; the online manual makes no mention of those even, that I can find. So, does anyone know a way to reset the instrument panel software and hopefully reestablish connection to the navigation views?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had a similar experience. I couldn’t figure anything out to fix it and made a service appointment. The appointment is still a couple weeks out and yesterday it just started to work again. I didn’t do anything - plugged it in to charge and when I went into the car to go pick up groceries that night it was fully functional again. Worst kind of fix, unfortunately. Went several days before it came back.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a similar experience. I couldn’t figure anything out to fix it and made a service appointment. The appointment is still a couple weeks out and yesterday it just started to work again. I didn’t do anything - plugged it in to charge and when I went into the car to go pick up groceries that night it was fully functional again. Worst kind of fix, unfortunately. Went several days before it came back.
Oh, great.

I admit to feeling twitchy, about all this stuff. I'm a software developer with a fair amount of hardware integration. I wish I could get access to the code and means of installing it!

·
Registered
428 Posts
In another thread I mentioned that after charging, yesterday, my instrument screen's nav view was frozen at the place I charged.

Just now I went and rebooted the center screen (by holding the home button down for ~20 seconds) thinking it needed to refresh, but now the Nav view in the instrument panel is empty. Doing a center-panel power-down made no difference either.

I did not find any tricks for resetting things other than the center screen or the cellular modem; the online manual makes no mention of those even, that I can find. So, does anyone know a way to reset the instrument panel software and hopefully reestablish connection to the navigation views?
You've probably already tried this but just to be sure - only 1 of the 3 instrument panel views will show the nav screen. You can toggle thru these views with the lower-left button (looks like screen icons) of the right-hand steering wheel button cluster.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You've probably already tried this but just to be sure - only 1 of the 3 instrument panel views will show the nav screen. You can toggle thru these views with the lower-left button (looks like screen icons) of the right-hand steering wheel button cluster.
Yeah, tried that (a few times over the course of a few miles). I think this fits in with the 'freeze' I had last night. Something (instrument panel) is not talking to something else (Android Automotive).

I'll do a 11kw charge at home for the first time, tonight. I wonder if changing to/from charging causes this and/or other issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same thing happened to me after a 48 amp charge at home. I just rebooted the main screen by holding down the physical home button ont he main screen and everything came back fine.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Magic techniques to be used when as a character in a book I love says ”weird bollocks happens”. After each technique below try the thing that had gone wrong. If it still fails please proceeding to the next
1. Exit vehicle. Lock Car. Visualize it switching off. Get back in and turn it on and Test problemish.
2. Reboot the computer by holding down the home key (big key center bottom of the display) for 20 seconds. After the Computer reboots, give it a few second to fully boot up. Now test It.
3. Exit vehicle. Lock Car. Visualize it switching off. Now walk away from the car, walk at least 30 feet from the car. (WARNING) make sure nobody else is close and that there are no other keys in the car. Wait 2 minutes (I will scientifically work on the needed wait time at some point). Now return to the car WITH ONLY ONE KEY. Open door, get in, switch it on and test the problem.
4. Do (3) BUT return to the car with a different key. Make sure all other keys stay away from the car unit you are finished. In this case if it works, make sure that you test it later with the original key.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
28 Posts

Received vehicle on 5/7. Less than a week later I lost the "Nav" map in the display. Brought car to dealer who corrected the glitch ["Incompatible configuration of IHU. Code would not clear. NESC to perform IHU reload to clear code. System now operating as designed"]. Had to re-enter all information in the system when I got home. Call your dealer.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I also lost my nav nap data from center view. But fixed it with the magic list.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This morning, I unplugged from AC at 90%, hopped in and checked, no map. Restarted center console with home-button hold for 15 seconds, let it boot, then switched center console views again, map appeared.

So, it's clearly a bug.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Oh it is defiantly a bug. A google bug along with many other google twitches and bugs.

Hopefully once ota comes out and especially as google hits other cars we should see it get better and better.

I had my google crash out to reboot whilst hurtling downloaded the high way. Good news is the car runs fine without it whilst it rebooted. Which shows how it is a cosmetic layer. True a layer we need to interact with some aspects of the car but whilst in motion it all still worked ( the car driving side).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same issue in the UK, sat nav in the drivers display doesn't move, just done it on the latest trip so will try the magic list. :)
I did got to the dealer the first time it did this - Not convinced they knew what they were doing but after pressing multiple buttons it came back on - Dealer could not tell me how they had done the fix. Luck??

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
226 Posts
Good news is the car runs fine without it whilst it rebooted. Which shows how it is a cosmetic layer. True a layer we need to interact with some aspects of the car but whilst in motion it all still worked ( the car driving side).
Fortunately, the Android Automotive OS only handles the infotainment. The Volvo OS handles the instrument panel info. There’s a link to a good article about AAOS in the Polestar2 in another thread.
Most of what I learned comes from the article below, as well as a couple AAOS developer talks I watched:
Android Automotive OS review: Under the hood with Google’s car OS | Ars Technica

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge P8 all electric
2 Posts

I had a similar problem. Google updated my maps OTA. After that the nav display would not show the maps. Started by reseting the LTE by holding down the physical defrost button, next to the emergency flasher, for 15 to 25 seconds. Waited for LTE icon to change then release the button and wait for LTE to reappear. Got this from Volvo On Call. Then, before the LTE icon appeared I did a center screen reboot which I got from folks in this forum. Reboot the computer by holding down the home key (big key center bottom of the display) for 20 seconds. When the reboot was complete the maps appeared. I do not know if this will solve your problem but it saved me at trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't had a problem in weeks. Its been working well.

One point, though, is that Google doesn't update maps per se. I believe that it gets live map data as you drive. You can enable storing SOME map data for offline usage but unless your connection goes down - which apparently happens to a number of people here - Google maps is downloading map info in real time as you drive.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I haven't had a problem in weeks. Its been working well.

One point, though, is that Google doesn't update maps per se. I believe that it gets live map data as you drive. You can enable storing SOME map data for offline usage but unless your connection goes down - which apparently happens to a number of people here - Google maps is downloading map info in real time as you drive.
Which is why it is great to set up a backup phone tether for just in case it goes down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts