Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing? Ever since I picked up the P8 a couple of weeks ago, the instrument panel map has been muted dark colored. This morning, it was black on white like the center console map (yikes) which I really hated. However, after I finished running my errand having parked indoor, the muted color map was back. What gives? Is there a way to select / disable either one? Anyone knows.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
It changes based on the light levels.
Go under a big bridge it switches to night as you emerge back to day mode.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Oops I answered the wrong question sorry.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've never seen anything other than 'muted dark color'. What you saw would be a bug in Google Maps, since that software, which is running in the infotainment system, draws the map for both displays. Therefore there is a high probability the bug will be fixed at some point.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having been in engineering development most of my life, I'm just totally amazed by how ridiculously buggy Android Auto is as a "released" product.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Technically, the car runs Android Automotive OS, and this being only the second implementation after the Polestar 2, there are bound to be issues.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah, very confusing names - but important to distinguish between Android Automotive OS (AAOS) from Android Auto (basically a utility that lets you "project" apps running on your phone onto your car's touchscreen, like Apple CarPlay). Android Automotive OS actually runs the apps natively on the car, no phone required.

And I agree that AAOS is very buggy, but not entirely unexpected for a brand-new OS. It will mature over time, much like the phone versions of Android have.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
226 Posts
And I agree that AAOS is very buggy, but not entirely unexpected for a brand-new OS. It will mature over time, much like the phone versions of Android have.
But it begs the question why Volvo used an OS without a proven track record in its first BEV in the luxury vehicle market. (More so the Polestar2, but that’s for another forum.) The Sensus OS used on the XC40 PHEV was stable and had more functionality. I think it would make sense to wait until the C40 Recharge or 2023 XC40 Recharge refresh to introduce AAOS. Ford has also committed to AAOS, but it put Sync4A (an upgraded Synch4 for BEVs) in the Mustang Mach e BEV. When I buy a Volvo BEV I expect the infotainment OS to improve and expand functionality, not to go from beta to production state.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Yeah all this hope of Android Automotive, yet Lexus just unveiled their new OS that is looking like, a natural language interface. And I will be the 22 NX with the new OS is more baked than the P8.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts