Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having a problem with the instrument panel going completely black, including the panel behind the steering wheel?
Dr. B.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Suggest you try a reboot. Hold down the HOME button (the physical button just below the big screen in the center of the car) -- it will need held down approx 20 seconds until the system reboots. This should resolve your issues. If not, search these forums for other suggestions about other reboot and locking strategies that reset things.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
And if it keeps happening take it to your service department. I suggest following arjays example and have pictures of it happening. Also research here the things Volvo did to fix the people who the same issues.

For-armed will help speed your cars recovery.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
10 Posts
You probably have a faulty IHU. Volvo will replace it, but you’ll have to jump through some annoying hoops with the dealer (we did a software update, we need to diagnose the issue, etc.) before the dealer will get the new IHU from Sweden ☹

If, like me you get ICE XC40s, as your loaners, it’ll make you appreciate the P8 a lot more once this issue is dealt with. Small comfort, but a thin silver lining 🙂

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Bring in printouts of threads here of people who went through the same hoops. Maybe with luck you could persuade them to go straight to the end. Of course they will want to try the free solutions first.

In time perhaps there will be a matrix that with dx the problem without the free “solutions”. But at least there are solutions for a whole folks had these issues with no hope in sight. The fun early months :)

and do let us know how it went (how long, what steps, etc so others might be able to use your data to help them get the help they need).
Cheers

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
83 Posts
Anyone having a problem with the instrument panel going completely black, including the panel behind the steering wheel?
Dr. B.
Be prepared as this might begin happening every few minutes. You can still drive the car as a portion of the dash screen is not part of the Infotainment system and you still have speed and turn signals, etc. that you can see. But you may need a brand new IHU unit. Ours took about a week at the dealer. We only owned if for 4 days when it happened. And once we got it back we had to reprogram EVERYTHING including keys and iPhones.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Be prepared as this might begin happening every few minutes. You can still drive the car as a portion of the dash screen is not part of the Infotainment system and you still have speed and turn signals, etc. that you can see. But you may need a brand new IHU unit. Ours took about a week at the dealer. We only owned if for 4 days when it happened. And once we got it back we had to reprogram EVERYTHING including keys and iPhones.
But not the garage opener?

I assume as part of doing an IHU install they do a factory restore.

The good news is the more often you do a factory restore the easier reinstalling everything is

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Dr. B.
Did the speed go away as well or just the center section? Take pictures and video of you trying to cycle trough the menus with nothing changing before you reboot or change profiles. I have several pics and videos from different failures so my IHU replacement as well as logged many cases direct with Volvo Customer service so they were involved day 1 when car went to dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts