Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
2023 C40 Ultimate
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all,

For the second time in my first 2+ weeks owning a C40 Ultimate, the car won't take a charge.

The light turns yellow and "Initializing Charging" shows up on the screen and on the app. It remains there.

I've used a different charger, I've checked all connections, I made sure there's a good handshake, I've left the car for hours only to try again, and I've reset the infotainment system.

When this happened last week, one random attempt, it began to work - and worked another one or two subsequent chargings. Last night, stuck initializing.

Anyone have any insight as to what's going on here? I'd rather NOT have to have it towed back to the dealer and lose it for x amount of days or weeks.

Thank you in advance.

· Registered
11 Posts
The only time this happened to me was due to a loose wiring on the socket connection and so it was not providing any juice. Did you try to plug the charger into a different socket? Does it light up once you plug it?

· Registered
2023 C40 Ultimate
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've not tried it with a different socket, but when it happened last week I drove to a public charger at my town hall - and received the same "initializing charging" message - and no charge ever happened.

The white light on the cable and the charging light on the car both light up properly. It just seems to be the car choosing not to start charging.

· Registered
2022 Volvo C40 Fjord Blue Pure Electric Recharge Ultimat
1,129 Posts
I've not tried it with a different socket, but when it happened last week I drove to a public charger at my town hall - and received the same "initializing charging" message - and no charge ever happened.

The white light on the cable and the charging light on the car both light up properly. It just seems to be the car choosing not to start charging.
I was going to suggest going to a fast charger outlet and checking to see if it charges, but since you already did that and similar message, chances are the battery isn’t being activated properly to receive the current.

I would definitely call the dealer and Volvo on Call to get their initial support/advice before you tow it in. They usually will send someone over, to come take a look at the problem.

· Registered
2022 Volvo C40 Fjord Blue Pure Electric Recharge Ultimat
1,129 Posts
I was going to suggest going to a fast charger outlet and checking to see if it charges, but since you already did that and similar message, chances are the battery isn’t being activated properly to receive the current.

I would definitely call the dealer and Volvo on Call to get their initial support/advice before you tow it in. They usually will send someone over, to come take a look at the problem.
This use case also reminds me for folks in the USA and have AAA membership ( I do). Are these guys well equipped to handle EV issues? Like today, they do lockouts, change batteries, perform a jump start, and even provide gasoline in case you run out on a highway?

Wonder what services would AAA do if customers who have converted from gasoline to EV have issues with their EV? I haven’t done much research here and will have to go dig into this? Anyone know?

· Registered
32 Posts

There are a lot of faulty chargers out there. And they can work on and off if there is some issue with the physical connection. So there is some chance still the problem isn't with the car.

· Registered
17 Posts
I had this very same issue with my wife’s XC40 recharge, I think it’s the same issue…

It went to the Volvo dealer twice, and upon a deep dive into the front end components, found the charge (?charging?) module to be faulty. After that was replaced, it charges every time it’s plugged in to any charger.

I hope it gets fixed quickly. My wife doesn’t like the loaners and our old gas car, which we will be selling now that we feel more confident with the two EVs we have.

· Registered
2023 C40 Ultimate
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now that you mention it, both of my issues occurred after charging didn't start properly when scheduled. Scheduling worked fine the first couple times I tried it, but then stopped working - and led to "initializing charge" lock both times.

Once they identified the problem, was the car back to you quickly?

· Registered
17 Posts
Once it went in for the second time, the faulty part was identified on day two of it being at the dealership. The tech was in contact with Volvo USA’s head EV tech support, who said he had not seen that code or issue in the wild, and they verified that the charging module was faulty and located a new part about 3 hours from our location. It was shipped the following day and installed by the end of the third day at the dealership.

So it was at the dealership for four days since I work second shift, so couldn’t get to the dealership until the following morning. We were given a loaner for those days.

It certainly seems like your vehicle is having identical symptoms to the problem we were having. If the codes are similar to the ones I posted in the thread linked above, have the tech look into diagnosing the charging module. By now the guy at Volvo USA should know about the issue and have notes for the EV techs to easily find the codes and quickly diagnose the charge (or charging) module to see it is the culprit.

The front trunk and all plastic under the hood needed to be removed to get to the charging module for troubleshooting and replacement.

I hope your dealership is as responsive and quick to repair as ours was, since there was one spare part already in the US, I’m hoping there are more that are quickly accessible.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts