Volvo XC40 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I could have sworn this vehicle had an 8 track option.
Hahaha!

Honestly, the surprising thing for me is ... no AM radio! So much for listening to local sports and local news. (I know there are some apps but I've not found them for all of the AM stations I listen to).

·
Registered
572 Posts
But wait in the apocalypse how can I hear john conner tell me that if I am hearing this I am part of the resistance!!!

Duh du du du duh duh

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry, but old fogeys like me are clearly Volvo's target demographic - this isn't a Kia Soul. And us old fogeys have decades of purchased and carefully-curated MP3 albums that we'd like to listen to in the car, gosh darn it!

View attachment 849
I would argue , based on your current issues and the models used in Volvo ads, that you are clearly not the target demographic ;-) but I digress.

Decades of purchased music is not the strongest argument to cling on to old technology. You purchased how many internal combustion engine cars in the past and yet here we are enjoying our XC40 EVs!

To each his own.

I too had hundreds of thousands of MP3s ( college in the 90s helped grow this collection ), all of which I eventually uploaded to google music, which is now YouTube music. So I had/have all my MP3s where ever there is a data connection, be it at home, on the cell, or in the car.

The wife prefers Spotify so we also have that subscription which has a nice set of curated play lists while also allowing you to create your own.

Both these services are available everywhere we are and work really well, and between the two have not been at a loss for finding any particular song.

But if an MP3 player with Bluetooth works, then it works! And I hope you enjoy many electrified musical miles !

·
Registered
290 Posts
So, I like Google and how easy it is to use natural language to get things done. I have stated my disappointment in how Google maps and especially traffic looks on the central screen. Sense graphics are far better. Now with the new maps in IOS 15 look extremely impressive. Your move Google.

·
Registered
128 Posts
For what it's worth, I prefer the Google maps to all others I've worked with. I find the P8's infotainment view very nice, pretty much like a small laptop view with crisp/readable street names and "right-sized" traffic coloration. I have a Garmin standalone unit too and the Google Maps is much better; the Garmin lines are so fat it messes up the surrounding lines. My former Toyota 4Runner (2016) had the worst navigation I ever used, all but useless; a route would all but obliterate any surrounding info. My wife's Ridgeline has Garmin maps which is pretty decent, I think - and I still like the Google Maps much better.

All IMHO.

On a side note -- I'm pretty much deaf, when it comes to speech recognition, music is better because I typically listen to music I knew when younger (with better hearing. Most voice-controlled devices I've tried were pretty much useless to me as my speech is not all that "normal" due to my deafness; I'm told it's relatively monotonous.

When Google rolled out it's current voice recognition -- first on my phone -- I was floored at how well it recognizes my speech. So for that reason, I absolutely LOVE the Google Personal Assistant features. My only frustration is that almost all non-action responses are verbal and I can't hear those. I'll see if I can pressure Google for a "Deaf mode" where responses can be shown on the screen. Since I'm used to looking around everywhere anyway, I am probably less affected by briefly looking away to read text. Chances are pretty small they'll allow this, though, safety reasons and all. I still love it. "Navigate to 123 sesame street, sacramento"... and done.

·
Registered
351 Posts
For what it's worth, I prefer the Google maps to all others I've worked with. I find the P8's infotainment view very nice, pretty much like a small laptop view with crisp/readable street names and "right-sized" traffic coloration. I have a Garmin standalone unit too and the Google Maps is much better; the Garmin lines are so fat it messes up the surrounding lines. My former Toyota 4Runner (2016) had the worst navigation I ever used, all but useless; a route would all but obliterate any surrounding info. My wife's Ridgeline has Garmin maps which is pretty decent, I think - and I still like the Google Maps much better.

All IMHO.

On a side note -- I'm pretty much deaf, when it comes to speech recognition, music is better because I typically listen to music I knew when younger (with better hearing. Most voice-controlled devices I've tried were pretty much useless to me as my speech is not all that "normal" due to my deafness; I'm told it's relatively monotonous.

When Google rolled out it's current voice recognition -- first on my phone -- I was floored at how well it recognizes my speech. So for that reason, I absolutely LOVE the Google Personal Assistant features. My only frustration is that almost all non-action responses are verbal and I can't hear those. I'll see if I can pressure Google for a "Deaf mode" where responses can be shown on the screen. Since I'm used to looking around everywhere anyway, I am probably less affected by briefly looking away to read text. Chances are pretty small they'll allow this, though, safety reasons and all. I still love it. "Navigate to 123 sesame street, sacramento"... and done.
Likewise, love love the Google Navi - the colors are pleasant to the eyes (not like disco neon lights..).. it’s “simple”….”clean”…..and to your point, it recognizes speech quite well….English is like my 3rd language so sometimes how I pronounce words and annotation are not recognized…but Googl is doing a fantastic job to accommodate all it seems….

·
Registered
290 Posts
It is impossible. to make out the traffic lines at a glance. I find the Google maps lacking contrast.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Different strokes and all that. :-/ Maybe there'll be another navigation app at some point; like Waze.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It is impossible. to make out the traffic lines at a glance. I find the Google maps lacking contrast.
This. First time I enabled "Traffic" in my P8's Google Maps - I honestly thought it wasn't working. I had to look really close to see those faint yellow/red/green lines overlaid on the roads. Nothing like Google Maps on every other platform.

That's my main issue with it - otherwise it's fine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Hahaha!

Honestly, the surprising thing for me is ... no AM radio! So much for listening to local sports and local news. (I know there are some apps but I've not found them for all of the AM stations I listen to).
I don't know about your area, but in the Bay Area at least one of the major AM news stations broadcasts simultaneously on FM. I suspect many others do, too. They should be aware of the trends and go that way.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Found another infotainment issue.
When using the infotainment ( to turn on the heated steering wheel) it is responsive (reletively) but when the navigation system is running there is a 6 second daily when hitting the button.

I have not tested other things (will do) but I am betting the slow down is everywhere.

Hopefully this is just bad coding (fixable) and not the limitations of the old model cpu.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Found another infotainment issue.
When using the infotainment ( to turn on the heated steering wheel) it is responsive (reletively) but when the navigation system is running there is a 6 second daily when hitting the button.

I have not tested other things (will do) but I am betting the slow down is everywhere.

Hopefully this is just bad coding (fixable) and not the limitations of the old model cpu.
6 second delay?? not 5 second or 7 second...or even 6.5 seconds??

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yea and it is fabulous :)

Part of the winter package if I remember right.

It is great at night when you feel cold but probably should not. Warming your hands is all it takes.

Will rock in the winter I think :) or fail and set fire to the car who knows :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yea and it is fabulous :)

Part of the winter package if I remember right.

It is great at night when you feel cold but probably should not. Warming your hands is all it takes.

Will rock in the winter I think :) or fail and set fire to the car who knows :)
I haven't tried that function yet - its 95% in Dallas so the heart is not there to even try it. Go figure! BUT there are a few winter days where Gloves don't even cut it; and those are the times that even if you only use that function ONCE a year, it somehow still makes it allll worth it ! We are simply super lucky to have what we have !

Given I have min. to no patience, I'm sure i'll be testing it out !

61 - 80 of 80 Posts