Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Infotainment System Crashing

10K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  kbnewton65 
#1 ·
We picked it up on Saturday.

The Infotainment system crashed 3 times, typically turning a solid color and the center of the dash display would also turn it's own solid color (on Navigation mode at least.) It also crashed a couple of times yesterday.

At one point we got an error message in the center display but clicked through it before taking a picture. This vehicle is running the latest software. Has anyone else had this issue?

#3 · (Edited)
Cool I will give that a try. We currently have 2 profiles, the primary (admin) is linked to the valet key and a secondary account is linked to key 1. I will try adding key 2 to the primary and see if that helps.

Edit: I didn't realize you could only link a single key to a profile. I will ask my wife to swap out the valet key for a real one and see if that helps.

#9 ·
FYI I have this issue too. I love the car except for this glitch. I have driven it maybe 350 miles now, and it's happened probably 12 times now. The dealership tried a software upgrade and it did not fix it. I'm taking it in again on Wednesday. I also have been in touch with Volvo's customer service about it and they're opening a file with the dealership. I really, really hope they can resolve this problem.

#10 ·
I have driven about 1000 miles in my P8 and have had one crash and that was early on … nothing else has changed, no upgrades.

it was at night so not an external heat issue.
I wonder if crashes can be software instability rng issues as well as the more obvious heat or faulty hardware caused crashes.

#12 ·
I figure rebooting the IHU is just part of the ritual of owning a car with the brand-spanking-new Android Automotive. I probably reboot it every two or three days. Most recently was tonight when the driver-side map vanished, the cruise control vanished, and the settings -> driving page was all greyed out.

#14 ·
That is far too often and would drive me nuts. I would take it to dealer to see if maybe the IHU needs to be replaced. There are several of us here that have had the IHU replaced. A bad IHU with buggy software is no fun.

#13 ·
The infotainment does occasionally crash or parts of it does. These are rare. If your having regular crashes (more than twice a day for more than say 3 days out of 5) then there is something and you will need dealer work to replace parts, fix corrupted drivers or install new software.

A few people have gone through this and come out fully functional after fixes have happened.

Sucks to be happening though.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

#22 ·
Automotive tire Grey Wood Gas Cable

This is the IHU(Infotainment Head Unit) the dealer replaced the first week after I bought the XC-40 in July 2021. It took 9 days to ship and install. I had the same technicolor displays described in this group. Never had another problem until Oct. 2022 when I lost FOB contact. The dealer found TJ 36195, performed TCAM reset, and software patch 32319500 which, I think, was for C-40. It has been stable for 3 weeks. These dealer techs. need to watch this forum more. There is a lot of feedback available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.