Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday had the weirdest thing happen - just wondering if anybody else has experienced it.

The infotainment system crashed (it seems to do this about once a week), but as always it came back up in about five minutes or less. Maybe five minutes later I'm pulling into the driveway and I notice an error message on the dashboard screen behind the wheel.

I might not be recalling the wording precisely because it soon disappeared and I didn't have the chance to take a picture, but it said something to the effect of "Infotainment System Cooling."

I interpreted it to mean something to the effect that the hardware was overheating, though that seemed odd - I'd been driving it for maybe 15-20 minutes and temperatures were mild (maybe 75F). Last week we had temps in the 90s and never had a similar message.

Anyone with any insight?

· Registered
190 Posts
Yup. I find that I get that when the car has been sitting in the sun and it is warm/hot.

Yesterday, I opened my front windows and moonroof because it was a beautiful day, but I had to keep the AC on level 1 to keep the infotainment happy.

· Registered
166 Posts
My infotainment system turned black and restarted while I was driving the other day, which was a bit disconcerting. I didn't notice anything about cooling, though. Will watch for it in the future. It was warm-is, maybe 80F.

· Registered
32 Posts
I saw this message two days ago in Seattle, the temperature was 70s and sunny. I had the windows down and the message went away after a few minutes of driving. It came back on when I parked and was waiting to pick up my wife from work.

· Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge (P8 - USA)
65 Posts
Confirmed I saw similar thing with roof open and in sun in traffic. I believe I want to say I read somewhere (manual?) that the car will turn on some version of an AC to attempt to cool the thing, I don't believe AC was pumping through vents, I suspect there's like a secret AC vent to the screen and such. The dash was indeed hot to the touch just from the direct sun above, so kind of makes sense.

· Registered
White P8 aka ORKA * OTA V2.0 * MFD 1/21 * 20" ride.
989 Posts
A while back, Tsla was acting up when its gets "too hot" where you can open the car, with limited functions etc. Very quickly, through software update, a fix was put in place whereby whenever the temp. inside the car gets over 100 degrees, the AC kicks in -- that's brilliant.
I don't know all the details, had just read about it when I was researching on Model 3 a while back.

I'm watching out for these signs as there's ZERO shade at my work place (total open concrete parking lot) and with the unforgiving TX sun, I too have such concern sneaking in my mind especially when summer hasn't officially hit yet. Minimally, I need to make sure to have the front sun shade on at all times - hopefully the 75% heat rejection tint on the front may help some.

· Registered
2022 C40 Pure Electric Recharge
30 Posts
Happened today on my 2022 c40 recharge pure electric. Very disconcerting. Is there a software fix. My car at dealers for Collision avoidance system warning. No cruise, no avoidance system, center display overheating, no gps.

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Ultimate Blue
10 Posts
I have never had it reboot while driving unless I made it restart... but I have had several times where the pop up about cooling the infotainment system. in which I was not running the AC and roof and windows open.. but the Oregon sun can be strong so I could see it needing to do that.

· Registered
4,175 Posts
Happened today on my 2022 c40 recharge pure electric. Very disconcerting. Is there a software fix. My car at dealers for Collision avoidance system warning. No cruise, no avoidance system, center display overheating, no gps.
Did you run your ac on cool?

· Registered
2022 C40 Pure Electric Recharge
30 Posts
Did you run your ac on cool?
No I did not know what to do back then. Called dealership and they said it is a normal message. Center screen cooling down. Just turn on AC and will disappear. Not an issue...also my C40 is now all fixed. Defective module replaced for Collision Avoidance System. Am HAPPY...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts