Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday had the weirdest thing happen - just wondering if anybody else has experienced it.

The infotainment system crashed (it seems to do this about once a week), but as always it came back up in about five minutes or less. Maybe five minutes later I'm pulling into the driveway and I notice an error message on the dashboard screen behind the wheel.

I might not be recalling the wording precisely because it soon disappeared and I didn't have the chance to take a picture, but it said something to the effect of "Infotainment System Cooling."

I interpreted it to mean something to the effect that the hardware was overheating, though that seemed odd - I'd been driving it for maybe 15-20 minutes and temperatures were mild (maybe 75F). Last week we had temps in the 90s and never had a similar message.

Anyone with any insight?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yup. I find that I get that when the car has been sitting in the sun and it is warm/hot.

Yesterday, I opened my front windows and moonroof because it was a beautiful day, but I had to keep the AC on level 1 to keep the infotainment happy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My infotainment system turned black and restarted while I was driving the other day, which was a bit disconcerting. I didn't notice anything about cooling, though. Will watch for it in the future. It was warm-is, maybe 80F.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I saw this message two days ago in Seattle, the temperature was 70s and sunny. I had the windows down and the message went away after a few minutes of driving. It came back on when I parked and was waiting to pick up my wife from work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Confirmed I saw similar thing with roof open and in sun in traffic. I believe I want to say I read somewhere (manual?) that the car will turn on some version of an AC to attempt to cool the thing, I don't believe AC was pumping through vents, I suspect there's like a secret AC vent to the screen and such. The dash was indeed hot to the touch just from the direct sun above, so kind of makes sense.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
691 Posts
A while back, Tsla was acting up when its gets "too hot" where you can open the car, with limited functions etc. Very quickly, through software update, a fix was put in place whereby whenever the temp. inside the car gets over 100 degrees, the AC kicks in -- that's brilliant.
I don't know all the details, had just read about it when I was researching on Model 3 a while back.

I'm watching out for these signs as there's ZERO shade at my work place (total open concrete parking lot) and with the unforgiving TX sun, I too have such concern sneaking in my mind especially when summer hasn't officially hit yet. Minimally, I need to make sure to have the front sun shade on at all times - hopefully the 75% heat rejection tint on the front may help some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts