Volvo XC40 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
This afternoon was running around town…plugged in address for direction….no signal, “GPS lost connection”…while driving, reboot with 20-second rule, still no connection. At this point, the map on screen was zooming in and out in various directions, total chaos - annoying to my passenger, I switched it to just my phone favorite view. 99% of time, the view on dash is set to the minimalistic view, so I decided to switch to the map view to swe…(and also crossing my finger when I DO switch back to the minimalistic view it would STILL be there) …I took the risk anyway…..and confusingly….the dash view shows the map of the USA - go figure. At least it’s an improvement from before where there were two blue blotches….so I switched it back to the minimalistic view and thankfully no view “corruption” - PHEW ..
when I got home, I took a pic of the view — now in “Park”, I will try the 20-second reboot again, if no difference, will leave overnight Perhaps tomorrow is a new day. But again, also concern that if I try to reboot I may lose the main minimalist view too…hhmm….decision decision….
Its unsettling that it’s not reliable - imagine going on a road trip and depending on mapping for charge stations along the way but it doesn’t work…..so lesson here is ALWAYS have your phone with you and take an extra battery pact too !

·
Registered
974 Posts
Alas the use your phones WiFi failed when I had the above. Seems like the whole communication systems WiFi gps lte goes down or at least can go down as one.

Mine was resolved by giving the car a nap (had tried the other things). If it happens again I am hopefully going to be able to pull over and give the car a 1 min nap and see if that does it. Then a minute nap etc.

I have a strong feeling that when it crashes it needs a power off (capacitor discharge) reset the same way as other hardware in our lives needs sometimes.

For example my nvidia shield gets twitchy and this can normally be fixed by a reset but sometimes it crashes harder and needs a 10 second time out without being plugged in.

Hopefully we can a) find a convenient work around to fix this when it happens which will do until b) more stable software comes out or c)replacement hardware :)

Reactions: MMK

·
Registered
531 Posts
Alas the use your phones WiFi failed when I had the above. Seems like the whole communication systems WiFi gps lte goes down or at least can go down as one.

Mine was resolved by giving the car a nap (had tried the other things). If it happens again I am hopefully going to be able to pull over and give the car a 1 min nap and see if that does it. Then a minute nap etc.

I have a strong feeling that when it crashes it needs a power off (capacitor discharge) reset the same way as other hardware in our lives needs sometimes.

For example my nvidia shield gets twitchy and this can normally be fixed by a reset but sometimes it crashes harder and needs a 10 second time out without being plugged in.

Hopefully we can a) find a convenient work around to fix this when it happens which will do until b) more stable software comes out or c)replacement hardware :)
d) Aaple CarPlay NOW

·
Registered
974 Posts
Apply car play works?
And
e) just using your smart phone as a go’s on its own :(
F) getting my Garmin gps back out

·
Registered
531 Posts
Let me go find a stand alone GPS unit (with those suction cup to window) as a backup to our ~$60k car.
But I still love youuuu ORKA !

·
Registered
974 Posts
Snicker. Already have two nice $200 gps’s sitting around from other cars. I do like the gps in this car and it so rarely fails (twice in 1300 miles). And to be honest we always have our cell phones as backup.

I do hope they resolve this issue with software or hardware fixes but like you I still do love my car.

I think the whole buying experience and lack of communication got us all a lot more irritable than the situation deserves.

Honestly I am happier that issues are happening on our 60k cars vs say a 30k car as we can afford work arounds, loaner cars, rental cars etc. For some the inconvenience of a failed car can easily snowball into loosing a job and your home. If one has a volvo life is at least fiscally going well :)

·
Registered
637 Posts

I have begun the detailed documentation phase of things. Even though my infotainment was resolved with a reboot I have video and pictures. Calling dealer today and will have them look at it. I want to start to get these attempts on the record for them so should I need to go down the lemon law I have my records. I already have written 2 letters to Volvo and have numerous call/chat case numbers of me trying to work through issues with them.

·
Registered
531 Posts

YOU WERE RIGHT ! It just needed to take a nap. I didn't touch it last night...... this morning power up, and everything back to "normal" - PHEW ! LTE icon is back on vs "X". To your point, hopefully as software updates are rolled out, stability is improved over time...... small glitches, most can live with -- just not disappearance and/or disco lights of instrument clusters all together!

·
Registered
637 Posts
YOU WERE RIGHT ! It just needed to take a nap. I didn't touch it last night...... this morning power up, and everything back to "normal" - PHEW ! LTE icon is back on vs "X". To your point, hopefully as software updates are rolled out, stability is improved over time...... small glitches, most can live with -- just not disappearance and/or disco lights of instrument clusters all together!
Did you reboot the Infotainment of the LTE? I have my wife and I any time something happens are taking pics and videos as evidence.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Did you reboot the Infotainment of the LTE? I have my wife and I any time something happens are taking pics and videos as evidence.
I had rebooted it while still driving, but didn't do anything. When I got home, I took a picture of the "US map" but decided NOT to touch it, just leave it overnight to see what happens. Sure enough this morning everything was back to "normal", LTE signal online, the map view on both dashboard and Infotainment came back like before - Mind boggling!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mine goes in Monday, but not expecting much as the service manger said they saw similar “software” issue with Sense when it rolled out. Lovely, Volvo is a mess.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I had rebooted it while still driving, but didn't do anything. When I got home, I took a picture of the "US map" but decided NOT to touch it, just leave it overnight to see what happens. Sure enough this morning everything was back to "normal", LTE signal online, the map view on both dashboard and Infotainment came back like before - Mind boggling!
If it keeps happening then something needs replacing. But if it happens again when you get home could you try giving it a 1 minute nap pretty please you will have to walk all the way away to make sure it truly has a nap :p

I know my car Margo does not like napping with me close by.
Cheers

·
Registered
531 Posts
If it keeps happening then something needs replacing. But if it happens again when you get home could you try giving it a 1 minute nap pretty please you will have to walk all the way away to make sure it truly has a nap :p

I know my car Margo does not like napping with me close by.
Cheers
I did give it a goodnight sleep - so that’s part of the overall steps !

·
Registered
974 Posts
But could you wake not up after 1 minute and see if that was enough. Would be nice to know for trips :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
The only issue I've personally had was the nav disappearing from the nav view in instrument cluster -- just twice in 1400 miles. <knocks on wood several times>

My nav in guages froze today and now I take pics and videos of every issue. I am trying to get the dealer to replac the
money is money AND Corp had offered the GoodWill bulletin few months back perhaps in anticipation of challenges down the road which some of us have experienced. At the end, buyers just want to enjoy the Car so you would hope Volvo rolls out more proactive damage control strategies from hardware/training training, more tech guys, to communication etx.
Hopefully this is your last trip to the Dealer !
On the other hand, if anything needs to “break” please break NOW while still within warranty !

I doubt it will be last trip, I suspect if the dealer agrees to replace IHU he will need to get the part. I am going to try and get him to call Volvo and push them, but the dealer here has been very uncommunicative. At least I have Volvo corp. involved and will push them to push the dealer. My guess is they will reset infotainment and send me on my way, which is fine as I know it will be back and that will then count as 2 attempts to repair the issue and already am 3 days into the 30 day lemon law timeline.

You are correct, I just want to enjoy the car without wondering oh, what may not work today, every time we drive it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My nav in guages froze today and now I take pics and videos of every issue. I am trying to get the dealer to replac the

I doubt it will be last trip, I suspect if the dealer agrees to replace IHU he will need to get the part. I am going to try and get him to call Volvo and push them, but the dealer here has been very uncommunicative. At least I have Volvo corp. involved and will push them to push the dealer. My guess is they will reset infotainment and send me on my way, which is fine as I know it will be back and that will then count as 2 attempts to repair the issue and already am 3 days into the 30 day lemon law timeline.

You are correct, I just want to enjoy the car without wondering oh, what may not work today, every time we drive it.
Perhaps also mention "engaging an attorney to prepare for lemon law" to put some fire on Volvo Corp. and Dealer

·
Registered
637 Posts
Perhaps also mention "engaging an attorney to prepare for lemon law" to put some fire on Volvo Corp. and Dealer
I am waiting to see how this visit goes, if it is painful then I will mention that. I would be willing to even pay a lemon law attorney to review and provide guidance. I am also going to hold off engaging the dealership GM until I see. When the finance manager messed up wife's car I put up a review and had a call within a few hours, then I took it down.

·
Registered
637 Posts
New issue, leading me to think the IHU is failing. If my phone has been out of range for a while and I go back to car it will not connect to my phone. I can disable BT and re-enable it on phone, still nothing. I can click connect phone in car, again nothing. Disable BT in car and re-enable and connects right away. Can't wait to drop this off Monday and see what they say or do.

·
Registered
531 Posts
New issue, leading me to think the IHU is failing. If my phone has been out of range for a while and I go back to car it will not connect to my phone. I can disable BT and re-enable it on phone, still nothing. I can click connect phone in car, again nothing. Disable BT in car and re-enable and connects right away. Can't wait to drop this off Monday and see what they say or do.
FOR REAL....the Lemons are growing by the day ! Sooo sorry the bits and pieces combined are becoming too stressful for a brand new Car ! They've got to do something about it. People buy new cars (1st generation or not) to avoid issues in general, reliability etc and definitely no time to leisurely visit the Dealers....
I cannot wait to see what they have in store for you on Monday ! Hang in there !

·
Registered
974 Posts
I expected issues getting 1st gen ev from a company. I just could not wait to get an ev. Still happy with the choice but will also be happy when it settles down. Would be way happier if Volvo extended the warrantee for free.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts