Volvo XC40 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update:

For the second time yesterday, I brought my car into the dealership for the infotainment randomly shutting down. I told them that I think they would need to order a part from Volvo and replace the IHU because that seems to be the consensus online from what I've seen. He said "Okay we'll see." A few hours later they called me and said "Oh we talked to Volvo, there's a new special software update they had us do for this specific issue. We even took it out and drove it and it didn't happen." I was like "Okay we'll see." Obviously it's ridiculous to say "We drove it and didn't have it" because I don't have the issue every time. Sometimes I can go a couple days without having it. But whatever, I gave them the benefit of the doubt because what other choice did I have?
So needless to say, a little over 24 hours after picking up for the second time for the same issue, it happened again.
This is a $60,000 car and I can't trust the freaking radio or clock to stay on. I really wanted to like Volvo as a brand, but this is absurd and embarrassing. I'm really losing my patience because I'm sick of taking time out of my day to drive back and forth to the dealership to deal with this and all they do is a software update. I tell them it will need a hardware update because I have read it on these forums that that seems to be the only solution that has worked for anyone who has had this problem.

Meanwhile I'm putting together quite the art collection. What's your favorite color of the driver side display?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Love the color posts!! I am going with scarlet.
some of us have only ever had one crash some none. Depends on theI interaction between software and the various hardware bits used. Alas with Covid And chip shortages I am betting the variety of chips used for any given task is vastly higher than pre Covid which means more complexity at the getting every car to work level.

Sounds though that you have so much instability that it is just broken and they need to replace the part.

Good luck with getting it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Update:

For the second time yesterday, I brought my car into the dealership for the infotainment randomly shutting down. I told them that I think they would need to order a part from Volvo and replace the IHU because that seems to be the consensus online from what I've seen. He said "Okay we'll see." A few hours later they called me and said "Oh we talked to Volvo, there's a new special software update they had us do for this specific issue. We even took it out and drove it and it didn't happen." I was like "Okay we'll see." Obviously it's ridiculous to say "We drove it and didn't have it" because I don't have the issue every time. Sometimes I can go a couple days without having it. But whatever, I gave them the benefit of the doubt because what other choice did I have?
So needless to say, a little over 24 hours after picking up for the second time for the same issue, it happened again.
This is a $60,000 car and I can't trust the freaking radio or clock to stay on. I really wanted to like Volvo as a brand, but this is absurd and embarrassing. I'm really losing my patience because I'm sick of taking time out of my day to drive back and forth to the dealership to deal with this and all they do is a software update. I tell them it will need a hardware update because I have read it on these forums that that seems to be the only solution that has worked for anyone who has had this problem.

Meanwhile I'm putting together quite the art collection. What's your favorite color of the driver side display?

View attachment 929

View attachment 930

View attachment 931

View attachment 933 View attachment 932
Oh wow, that’s plenty of artwork to REALLY take it up with Volvo, Corp Customer Service etc.
when I got the recent software update, this was my screen….when I addressed with Service Manager, he said “….that’s a new theme….a new setting…” My jaw literally dropped as it was absolutely insulting….. That was followed by “…. It’s your choice of preference that you don’t like it….it’s best you take it up through social media regarding your preference…..as Volvo doesn’t listen to the Dealers…” In short, I hope your Dealer tReis to work with you and recognize that it’s NOT a new theme…
But based on feedback here, I had rebooted the system and thankfully it worked , the map came back. In your case, doesnt look like a reboot is gonna cut it……

Please do keep us posted of the outcome…..hope the Dealer will make some effort !
j

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
234 Posts
The only issue I've personally had was the nav disappearing from the nav view in instrument cluster -- just twice in 1400 miles. <knocks on wood several times>

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Update:

Lol, this is exactly the same issue that I had, I've seen enough of these colors that I've developed some form of PTSD just looking at them. Luckily, my service rep had a similar issues 3 weeks prior and had just fixed the issue for a prior customer.

You need to let them know to contact Volvo to get a VIN specific IHU part.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lol, this is exactly the same issue that I had, I've seen enough of these colors that I've developed some form of PTSD just looking at them. Luckily, my service rep had a similar issues 3 weeks prior and had just fixed the issue for a prior customer.

You need to let them know to contact Volvo to get a VIN specific IHU part.
Update: The dealership finally called me on Friday and said they are ordering a new infotainment center from Volvo. I gave them a really hard time after it last went out. They said this latest software update was recommended by Volvo for this specific issue and they had to follow it.

I have already worked with Volvo's customer service on the issue and they have opened a case with my dealership, so they supposedly have been working together on it. My question is do I need to tell them to make sure it's VIN specific? Shouldn't they know that?

Also @ msnut, I'm guessing and hoping the issue went away after you got the infotainment center replaced?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Update: The dealership finally called me on Friday and said they are ordering a new infotainment center from Volvo. I gave them a really hard time after it last went out. They said this latest software update was recommended by Volvo for this specific issue and they had to follow it.

I have already worked with Volvo's customer service on the issue and they have opened a case with my dealership, so they supposedly have been working together on it. My question is do I need to tell them to make sure it's VIN specific? Shouldn't they know that?

Also @ msnut, I'm guessing and hoping the issue went away after you got the infotainment center replaced?
Yes, the part they order will be VIN specific by default most likely, so you don't really need to worry about that.

Yes, the issue has been resolved since they replaced the IHU. It's such a relief to be able to see the time, change the AC settings use the cameras for back up etc.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Is this actually a symmetric argument?

Whether a price needs replacing is as we all agree vin speicific because the vin defines what sub variant of IHU you have and this defines whether it has problems.

in reverse replacing the ihu with any variant would not this just require them to store which IHU your vin had just been put in there. (Question not statement)

I would imagine a large part of this hinges in whether there are lots of other sub bits with variants that do not get on with others or if all sub variants “should” play nicely together.

Service should/will of ordered specifically for your car and they have your vin so prepare for the good days of working stuff as they are coming :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased the XC40 Recharge 4 days ago. About a day into the drive I began noticing that the infotainment system would auto shut down and restart in a never ending loop every 3-5 minutes. Everytime it shut down the screens would show these garish colors.

View attachment 752 View attachment 753

I wonder if any one else has had this issue. I contacted Volvo CS and they told me to contact the dealer. I called the Dealer's Volvo service department and was told that there were 2-3 other cars with a similar issue and the fix involved a hardware part replacement and possibly a software update. I'm taking it in for servicing next week.

Needless to say, I'm disappointed since the infotainment system controls the temp/cameras/music etc.
Hey there,
I’m having the same issues. I just bought the car a week ago and it’s been back at the dealership longer than it was in my possession. The infotainment system and the dash both turn off abruptly and provide the same bright, glaring colors. It does it during every drive and every 3-5 minutes. When it comes back on, the air conditioning stops working completely and all of the information on the dash and infotainment system disappears. It may have 200 miles on it total. After speaking with a very helpful gentleman on another sweedspeed forum, I am starting the process for a replacement or refund through Maryland’s lemon laws. The dealership has been very accommodating, but after spending nearly $130k in two days on two new Volvo’s, I really hope Volvo will just allow me to return the vehicle, with no penalty, for a different model in their lineup. This seems to be an isolated issue to the XC40 Recharge. As much as I loved it the first few days, it’s been nothing but a headache ever since.
Oh I guess I should add that a software update does not correct the problem. My car is sitting at the dealership waiting for assistance from Volvo Tech Support. It’s been there almost a week and they have no idea how to fix it. Another issue is the Volvo app. The technology expert at the dealership was not able to connect the vehicle to the app and nothing he tried worked. The keys also were not recognized when placing them in the console.
If anyone has experienced either of these problems and had them corrected, could you tell me what steps were taken or what parts were replaced?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Update:

View attachment 929

View attachment 930

View attachment 931

View attachment 933 View attachment 932

My wife called to tell me when she got in car today she got this issue now. Volvo really has a QA problem with the cars and software. I was fine until the late June update was applied last weeknd. I got that hoping to resolve VOC issues an not I still have VOC and now this problem. My only hope now is that the car keeps having problems that the dealer takes days to fix and I run out the 30 day lemon law clock quickly.

·
Registered
637 Posts
They get 4 attempts so they have looked at door locks once, and now screen will be one.
Hey there,
I’m having the same issues. I just bought the car a week ago and it’s been back at the dealership longer than it was in my possession. The infotainment system and the dash both turn off abruptly and provide the same bright, glaring colors. It does it during every drive and every 3-5 minutes. When it comes back on, the air conditioning stops working completely and all of the information on the dash and infotainment system disappears. It may have 200 miles on it total. After speaking with a very helpful gentleman on another sweedspeed forum, I am starting the process for a replacement or refund through Maryland’s lemon laws. The dealership has been very accommodating, but after spending nearly $130k in two days on two new Volvo’s, I really hope Volvo will just allow me to return the vehicle, with no penalty, for a different model in their lineup. This seems to be an isolated issue to the XC40 Recharge. As much as I loved it the first few days, it’s been nothing but a headache ever since.
Oh I guess I should add that a software update does not correct the problem. My car is sitting at the dealership waiting for assistance from Volvo Tech Support. It’s been there almost a week and they have no idea how to fix it. Another issue is the Volvo app. The technology expert at the dealership was not able to connect the vehicle to the app and nothing he tried worked. The keys also were not recognized when placing them in the console.
If anyone has experienced either of these problems and had them corrected, could you tell me what steps were taken or what parts were replaced?

How do you get Maryland lemon law so quickly, most states is is several attempts and/or a period without the car or serious safety defect. GA it is 3 attempts then they get 1 final attempt or out of service for 30 days. Theisues have to lower the value, safety or use of your car.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Wife had this for 2 trips today then it went blank and when she got home I recorded video showing that when I cycle through the displays the maps is a faint blob now and missing. I rebooted the Infotainment and it fixed it for now, but will be bring it in as attempt 1 to fix the car. If it happens again I leave it alone. 750 miles, 6 weeks and tire issue (Only Volvo's fault for picking rare tire/size) door lock issues and now Infotainment. I have zero trust or confidence in this car. Just waiting now for the AC issues others are having.

And here is the video.

·
Registered
637 Posts
And becasue I like to be prepared, for a bargain price of $15 I just purchased dontbuyavolvo.com and dontbuyvolvo.com

·
Registered
974 Posts
You have definitely had bad luck. But a lot of us have had good luck and are loving our cars.

I shout get a Ilovemyrechargevolvo.com

·
Registered
637 Posts
You have definitely had bad luck. But a lot of us have had good luck and are loving our cars.

I shout get a Ilovemyrechargevolvo.com
I,have, but so far I have not had the AC or some of the more serious issues others have. The problem is it makes me nervous totrust the car especially with my wife as she will panic if she gets stuck.

Reactions: SeattleCat

·
Registered
242 Posts
I,have, but so far I have not had the AC or some of the more serious issues others have. The problem is it makes me nervous totrust the car especially with my wife as she will panic if she gets stuck.
Had A/C issues - dealer replaced Expansion Valve - did not fix the issue - the A/C was intermittent - Dealer worked with Volvo Tech people - replaced Heat Exchanger and a Relay - Parts costs in CA$ $980.00 plus labour. A/C works perfect now for the last 4 days - anticipate it will continue to work fine as a result of the new heat Exchanger.
Dealer was great - kept us completely informed during the whole process i.e. advised when diagnosed via text that part was ordered - texted again when replaced and then they texted with advisor taking car home overnight stop and starting to see if still intermittent - next day Volvo Tech rep came to dealership to check out the car found all to be good and advised dealer to release the car back to us - Texted that car was fixed and we could pick it up - they also provided a New 2021 XC90 as a loaner - met and beat our expectations!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Had A/C issues - dealer replaced Expansion Valve - did not fix the issue - the A/C was intermittent - Dealer worked with Volvo Tech people - replaced Heat Exchanger and a Relay - Parts costs in CA$ $980.00 plus labour. A/C works perfect now for the last 4 days - anticipate it will continue to work fine as a result of the new heat Exchanger.
Dealer was great - kept us completely informed during the whole process i.e. advised when diagnosed via text that part was ordered - texted again when replaced and then they texted with advisor taking car home overnight stop and starting to see if still intermittent - next day Volvo Tech rep came to dealership to check out the car found all to be good and advised dealer to release the car back to us - Texted that car was fixed and we could pick it up - they also provided a New 2021 XC90 as a loaner - met and beat our expectations!!
  • Am glad to hear at least the pain was acknowledged and not kept in the dark but more importantly the necessity of AC is working well.
  • For those in the West coast experiencing heat waves, hope the AC is doing it’s part.
  • Given all the loose ends with my current Dealer are finally dealt with (last battle was the goodwill for $1k accessory or $750 gift card), should there be future needs for Dealer visit I’m driving across town to another Dealer for a better stuffed (and knowledgeable) Service Dept.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Finall
  • Am glad to hear at least the pain was acknowledged and not kept in the dark but more importantly the necessity of AC is working well.
  • For those in the West coast experiencing heat waves, hope the AC is doing it’s part.
  • Given all the loose ends with my current Dealer are finally dealt with (last battle was the goodwill for $1k accessory or $750 gift card), should there be future needs for Dealer visit I’m driving across town to another Dealer for a better stuffed (and knowledgeable) Service Dept.
I reached out to my selling dealer and said “look Volvo clearly know the P8 has issues and is offering compensation and I would like it as an Amazon gift card’. I am sending them a timeline of my issues as well as the pics and video of my infotainment along with the 5-6 cases I have open with Volvo.

Reactions: MMK

·
Registered
531 Posts
money is money AND Corp had offered the GoodWill bulletin few months back perhaps in anticipation of challenges down the road which some of us have experienced. At the end, buyers just want to enjoy the Car so you would hope Volvo rolls out more proactive damage control strategies from hardware/training training, more tech guys, to communication etx.
Hopefully this is your last trip to the Dealer !
On the other hand, if anything needs to “break” please break NOW while still within warranty !

41 - 60 of 94 Posts