Volvo XC40 Forum banner
201 - 213 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
109 Posts
Videos and pics for evidence will help you in the end. I am chatting with 2 lemon law attorneys about my brakes this week.
I keep wondering if you might have faulty calipers, since you have already changed the rotors and pads. I also believe this is not a common problem so calipers or brake actuators could be fault.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I keep wondering if you might have faulty calipers, since you have already changed the rotors and pads. I also believe this is not a common problem so calipers or brake actuators could be fault.
Could be, waiting on Volvo to decide next step. I am trying to figure if anyone makes ceramic pads for the car.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Update— today the car was not working any better (no LTE/GPS) — my wife drove it to work/back. I just went out a bit ago to pick up dinner carry-out. It was not working but I decided to be insane and reboot it one more time (prob 10th reboot in the past 5 days trying to “fix” it) and VOILA!

Rebooted, and it is working perfect now. Music streams. GPS/navigation works. Everything is back to Normal. Again it was NOT working this AM, or PM — it required a reboot to work — but that has resolved the issue for whatever odd reason. Sigh…. Gotta love electronics!

·
Registered
934 Posts
My Recommendation, do not reset it, bring it to dealer and log the issue so they look at it and lg it as a repair. Take videos. Will make it easier for you if you wind in a position where you need to invoke lemon law.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My Recommendation, do not reset it, bring it to dealer and log the issue so they look at it and lg it as a repair. Take videos. Will make it easier for you if you wind in a position where you need to invoke lemon law.
Lemon law?! I think you’;re confusing my reply with someone else. I have no plans to lemon our car. I did notice some of the replies in this thread did not relate to the subject line so I think somewhere, someone got on a tangent. Lemon law doesn’t apply to someone who takes a car in once for an item that gets fixed (we’ve NEVER taken our car in for the LTE/GPS issue). Sorry, i’m a bit confused by your reply.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Lemon law?! I think you’;re confusing my reply with someone else. I have no plans to lemon our car. I did notice some of the replies in this thread did not relate to the subject line so I think somewhere, someone got on a tangent. Lemon law doesn’t apply to someone who takes a car in once for an item that gets fixed (we’ve NEVER taken our car in for the LTE/GPS issue). Sorry, i’m a bit confused by your reply.
I had no intention of doing lemon law either, but as the issues pile up at come point the decision will be made for me. I know you do not “plan” to, but it helps to collect and keep evidence as you never know. There are people on the forum that everything starts out fine and then a month or 2 in or 1000 or 2000 miles in issues start piling up. I believe there are at least 2 people in this forum that have had cars replaced. Considering the small number shipped and smaller number on this forum that is very telling to me. I am hoping not to be the third, but not looking good right now.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had no intention of doing lemon law either, but as the issues pile up at come point the decision will be made for me. I know you do not “plan” to, but it helps to collect and keep evidence as you never know. There are people on the forum that everything starts out fine and then a month or 2 in or 1000 or 2000 miles in issues start piling up. I believe there are at least 2 people in this forum that have had cars replaced. Considering the small number shipped and smaller number on this forum that is very telling to me. I am hoping not to be the third, but not looking good right now.
I've been on internet "car owner" forums since the mid 90s, so if there is one thing I've learned that I can pass along is to help you understand that we are prob less than 5% of the ownership population. Meaning for every 100 of these P8s sold, only 5 people join this forum. And ... most who join do so because of the "issues" -- so its not really a "fair or good" random sampling. So I would take the data here with a grain of salt as it pertains to a proper representation of issues people have. That said we have over 7,500 mies on our P8 and the first/only "real" issue we have ever had was the ones I noted here (we have had working VOC since the day we bought the car it has been flawless). We have had over 12 Tesla vehicles, many which "could" have been lemon laws -- but I think its our job as "early adopters" to help make these products better, not just abandon them. For those who aren't ready to be a "Beta tester" then I suggest you do try to sell your car because with EVs being only ~2.5% of new car sales in the USA, you need to be aware, you're buying into a NEW eco system, one that doesn't really have the same support as the legacy petrol cars.

Now with ALL of that said ....

Issues on new cars have been around even in gas cars. I've had ~84 cars in my lifetime (yes, I keep a list) -- and I can tell you that actually only maybe half of my EVs have been problematic cars. I've had gasoline cars with the same issues... especially when it comes to infotainment systems. And, I've had issues with Tesla products worse than any other brand. So while I do adore people on the Volvo owner group her complaining about "this and that" -- the reality Is most dont know just how good you have it. I've been a Tesla owner for over 8 years now -- trust me, compared to them, the Volvo is iron clad! :p

·
Registered
934 Posts
Not to bash Tesla owners, but that is exactly was Tesla was never on my list, too many QA issues and problems and while not eveyone has them, the rports were enough to not take the risk. Maybe I am spoiled and/or lucky as with over 2 dozen cars I have had the 1 odd issues on maybe 4 or 5 of them. All but one fixed in single days visits. The other was a rattling noise that took 2 or 3 visits to isolate and resolve the rear deck rattle. My Infiniti had a failed sensor that was replaced and then flawless for 39K miles. All my Acuras' were flawless other than the 2004 that had the deck rattled. None had mechanical issues.

It should not become the norm for us to accept inferior products that are delivered and expect to live with them with issues. Sure EVs in general are going through growing pains and an odd issue/problem here or there is fine, but for those having repeated issues I doubt any of us bought/leased the car whiteout the intent to keep it, but circumstances drive us in other directions. Should some of us be expected to pay decent amounts of money and yet not have our vehicle to use with an expectation of having reasonable periods of use without issues?

Reactions: Paul1117

·
Registered
934 Posts
Not to bash Tesla owners, but that is exactly was Tesla was never on my list, too many QA issues and problems and while not eveyone has them, the rports were enough to not take the risk. Maybe I am spoiled and/or lucky as with over 2 dozen cars I have had the 1 odd issues on maybe 4 or 5 of them. All but one fixed in single days visits. The other was a rattling noise that took 2 or 3 visits to isolate and resolve the rear deck rattle. My Infiniti had a failed sensor that was replaced and then flawless for 39K miles. All my Acuras' were flawless other than the 2004 that had the deck rattled. None had mechanical issues.

It should not become the norm for us to accept inferior products that are delivered and expect to live with them with issues. Sure EVs in general are going through growing pains and an odd issue/problem here or there is fine, but for those having repeated issues I doubt any of us bought/leased the car whiteout the intent to keep it, but circumstances drive us in other directions. Should some of us be expected to pay decent amounts of money and yet not have our vehicle to use with an expectation of having reasonable periods of use without issues?

I also don't buy that most people join a forum to complain. I was on this forum long before I purchased and while it was the early days of the P8 release, there were not real red flags, just some cautions. I also know there are plenty of people that have issues that don't join forums. Would love to see a study that compare car issues to forum participation.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ditto, didn't want a Tesla partly because I didn't want to be a QA engineer. That was a conscious decision to trade the higher efficiency and gee whiz technology for a quality focused brand.

Ditto, joined the forum prior to delivery. I would like to add that there are other forums and they probably have a similar mix. I also know people who experience issues who do not spend time on forums (my boss just returned her Taycan.)

I think that the real issue here is the lack of communication. When you don't have good communication then the information gap gets filled with speculation. I began to document problems with the communication from Volvo back when I ordered. It continued through delivery.

Communications from my dealer are often generalized, offering me specials on oil changes for example. The dealers have been clearly unable to communicate on issues from keys, VOC, apps, incentives and everything else specific to this car. Clearly this indicates that they are not paying enough attention to what message they are sending. They haven't adjusted for this vehicle and it makes me feel as if they aren't committed to its success.

At no point has anyone at Volvo explained to me how their employees are trained to handle this car. If you go into any shop you are going to see ASE certifications and hopefully manufacturer specific certification. Because of this lack of information I can assume that the process to repair my car involves a lot of guessing and wrong choices which have led to increased time in the shop and the return of a vehicle to me that is not repaired. If you contact Volvo directly you get generically referred back to the dealer.

The communication problems are also reflected in the vehicle itself. Push the defrost button to reset the modem? Changes in the dash displays and how functions work without so much as a "how do you do?"

People who spend time on forums are information focused. We love information, both sharing and consuming. When you create a brand image centered around information scarcity your are going to alienate a population of trend setters. Individual cars are going to have issues and occasionally replacement parts will be bad. In the end what is important for a brand is that the consumer is confident. Volvo is not communicating that message.

·
Registered
144 Posts
@Stephen Cerruti -- well said! One of the things that Tesla does great, asa "software company" (and with the ever-present Elon) is the communication angle of things. Tesla owners at least "feel" more connected to the updates, the issues, and so forth. Also the fact that Tesla is in the spotlight they have no choice but to attack claims more head-on. Volvo as a legacy auto maker would have made changes "annually" at most. So right now they are still adapting to this idea of OTA updates, and how much of that is driven by Google also remains to be seen. But yes, well said.

For the other comments about QA issues/Tesla -- I'd argue I've had as many issues with "new cars" (the first of a new make/model) as I did with Tesla. Matter of fact, the issues I've had with Tesla (mostly hardware) pale in comparison to some of the software based issues I had with Non-Tesla. But everyone's threshold is different. I know people who have owned nothing but Japanese brand cars and love them; I hate those cars for the most part, as they lack soul and personality (Honda S2K, NSX, etc withstanding of course). But I dont want an appliance when it comes to my cars.

We should expect and demand top quality for all the items we buy not just our automotive purchases. But in the world we live now, things are different than they once were. "Built to last" is an expression, not a reality. Sadly...

·
Registered
934 Posts
I don't thin Volvo knows what to communicate. They clearly are figuring this out as they go along. I suspect at some point there will be a TSB on the IHU. I am mixed on if their effort to fix my brakes will result in anything that lasts more than a few weeks. I have really grown to like the car and can't even think what my next choice would be if they buy this back.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Of course this is nothing new...

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a1849066/robert-cox-ad-man-behind-fords-quality-job-1-pitch-dies/ said:
A 1982 commercial turned the words into a jingle and featured workers describing specific quality updates on vehicles. The phrase also appeared in print ads, like one that boldly placed “Bug Killers” atop a Ford assembly line. “Nobody wants to buy a car that hasn’t had the bugs worked out,” the 1982 poster read. Lining the bottom of the ad was the Job 1 slogan.
It is interesting to know that Job 1 in automotive manufacturing meant the first of a new or resigned model that rolled off the assembly line.

201 - 213 of 213 Posts