Volvo XC40 Forum banner
181 - 200 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is good info I'll send it to my dealer. Thanks
Kevin, here's what our service sheet looked like.
Whatever they did has not totally cured our connection woes, but we haven't gone into the death spiral of the whole system conking out like it was by our 2nd day of ownership.
Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Screenshot

Reactions: kevinxb

·
Registered
144 Posts
So we have dropped LTE before a half dozen times and GPS once or twice. But for past 48 hours both have been down with no reboot of center screen nor defrost button working. Looks like next step is the driveway locked sleep reset. And then if no dice there we’ll be visiting a service center. Grrrrrr…..

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
116 Posts
I've tried the defroster reset as well as a hard reset and nothing works.
Before you resort to the 12v battery reset method, make sure that you've performed a 'soft' reboot using the following sequence (order matters):
  1. Reboot the infotainment system. (by pressing and holding the home button for 30 seconds)
  2. Wait for system to fully boot up (with LTE icon indicators shown like normal)
  3. Reboot the TCAM (by pressing and holding the defrost button until the LTE 'x' signal icon goes shows or SOS blinks)
NOTES:
  • I have also seen a post from someone being directed by CS to temporarily disable the vehicle SIM data option just before the rebooting the infotainment step and then re-enable it after reboot.
  • It is possible that step #3 needs to be repeated one more time.
  • You may need to 'kill' the VOC app on your phone and relaunch it again.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
16 Posts
I just tried this. After the home button reboot is done, the LTE x icon never changes even after holding the defrost button for more than a minute.

I removed the car from my app last night before doing a hard reset.

·
Registered
144 Posts
After the home button reboot is done, the LTE x icon never changes even after holding the defrost button for more than a minute.
Same. Previously this -did- work for us. But at the moment the Defrost button never works—- the LTE signal (with the “X” icon embeded) never goes away; it just stays there, without connection. So we’re in same boat as you at moment.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
116 Posts
Interesting... Make sure to do the reboot in a location with great cellular reception (for the cars subscribed network).

I wonder if you have the same symptom as the user 'gdotp' had on the Polestar forum?

No WiFi and no LTE
Nothing is working gps, 3G etc. A very friendly polestar support person Lee took me though all reset options. I then visited the dealer who used the disconnect 12v battery method and still no joy. They think the tcam module has fried so I’m stuck with connecting my iPhone to the usb all week and using that. Not really very good.

Later on, he writes:
hi. Good news is that mine mysteriously managed to fix itself aver last night. Everything came back online pretty much at the point I charged it to 100% ready for today’s long trip to Cornwall.

Do you lock your doors at night? Or, I wonder if it was just an account glitch with the cellular provider and came back alive coincidentally.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
16 Posts
Same. Previously this -did- work for us. But at the moment the Defrost button never works—- the LTE signal (with the “X” icon embeded) never goes away; it just stays there, without connection. So we’re in same boat as you at moment.
How long has yours been without connection? My dealer can't have someone look at it until Monday which is frustrating

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
16 Posts
Interesting... Make sure to do the reboot in a location with great cellular reception (for the cars subscribed network).

I wonder if you have the same symptom as the user 'gdotp' had on the Polestar forum?

No WiFi and no LTE
Nothing is working gps, 3G etc. A very friendly polestar support person Lee took me though all reset options. I then visited the dealer who used the disconnect 12v battery method and still no joy. They think the tcam module has fried so I’m stuck with connecting my iPhone to the usb all week and using that. Not really very good.

Later on, he writes:
hi. Good news is that mine mysteriously managed to fix itself aver last night. Everything came back online pretty much at the point I charged it to 100% ready for today’s long trip to Cornwall.

Do you lock your doors at night? Or, I wonder if it was just an account glitch with the cellular provider and came back alive coincidentally.
I made sure to do the reset outside in an area that has plenty of signal rather than in my garage.

I do lock my doors at night. Considering the car also has no GPS and doesn't see any wifi networks it seems to be on the car end and not the cell network's end.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
116 Posts
I just tried this. After the home button reboot is done, the LTE x icon never changes even after holding the defrost button for more than a minute.
Sorry to be stuck on this point, but the timing might be critical to achieving success as this person suggests:

LTE issues returning? (Uk)
Try rebooting the Infotainment system, waiting till it comes up with LTEx, then pressing and holding the front demister button. This seems to be the most reliable way to try to reset both at the same time.

·
Registered
934 Posts
It actually stopped working last night. I saw some posts saying it might come back after a few hours. Still out this morning. I'm waiting on a call back from my dealer.
Get videos as evidence to help should it get to a bad point between you and Volvo. I have kept pics and videos of all issues and all emails between me and Volvo and the dealer. Also keep all paperwork. If you need to invoke lemon law this will be beneficial. Nice things I have learned if I read the GA lemon law correctly; if the car is Kota over night the day of drop off and day you get it back count toward the 30 days. Also weekends they have it count as well. And even if car is in for routine work as long as it is in for an issue the days count. I am calling a lemon law attorney this week for free consult to start understanding what I need to do. Why? Because I don’t see them providing a permanent fix for the brakes and expect in a few months I will be back to them for same issue.

·
Registered
144 Posts
How long has yours been without connection? My dealer can't have someone look at it until Monday which is frustrating
My wife first noted the issue to me on Thursday, and it is now Saturday, so ~2 days. Though I’d have to check with her if the issue was occurring prior. I’m aware of it today/yesterday driving so at least from there. Our next avail service visit is not until 22nd (11 days from now!) so we’re going to be suffering longer than you, it seems, sadly.

Edit: My wife scheduled service online this AM but then also called an hour ago and they confirmed that indeed 9/22 was their next available chance to see/service the XC40 P8. :/

·
Registered
144 Posts
@JT Rock — indeed that sounds precisely like what we’re having here. But in 2+ days it has not fixed itself. I did lock the car earlier today, as it is garage-kept and otherwise not Normally locked. But we do normally lock it For a few hours at work while charging and even in those conditions on Thursday and Friday it did not resolve itself. Per my reply above, 9/22 service visit next available locally. So we’re going to be suffering a while longer it seems!

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
116 Posts
Thank you for the information. I just can't fathom how that Polestar fellow brought his car to the dealer, they did the 12v reset and then they came to the conclusion that the TCAM was dead. And a day or so later, it magically revived itself !!! That makes me think that the car periodically reboots various modules.

Today, I noticed that my infotainment showed the Volvo bootup screen upon entering inside the vehicle. It does that maybe once a week, I haven't paid attention to know exactly how often. Regardless, I wonder, if within a week, if both @arijaycomet and @kevinxb will experience the same revival of the TCAM.

Reactions: kevinxb

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
16 Posts
Fingers crossed. When I tried the 3 steps outlined before, I did hold the defrost right after the home button reboot finished. I'm trying to leave the car stationary until tomorrow in the hopes that it will reboot.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Attempted to resolve another way: FUSES
Checking owners manual, and gaining access to the fuse box located behind the passenger carpet, I think it was fuses 25, 26, 27, and 30 that I pulled. The first/last definitely worked to remove power from the screen or center infotainment system, but alas, this did nothing else. In other words, it did the same thing I succeeded doing by rebooting (home button held down).

Even after this, nothing works. I also noted that in the WiFi menu, my home WiFi does not show up. So overall then it seems the GPS, the LTE, and the WiFi modules are inoperable. That said, the Bluetooth works fine. In other words, no better off than before, still needing a service visit.

We’re going to leave the car locked now 6:00 PM EDT and in the garage. Our next necessary voyage in the P8 is tomorrow around 9:00 AM EDT. Hopeful that sitting, closed, locked, not plugged in, sitting — maybe it’ll reboot or reset on own. Confidence is low…

·
Registered
2021 P8
18 Posts
Have had this issue twice. First time was on day four of ownership…. Was advised to factory reset, but that didn’t fix it. Everything came back within about two hours. Happened again yesterday (day 12 of ownership) but restored itself within five minutes this time. In both cases no GPS, LTE, unable to change charge settings, etc.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm sorry to hear other people's cars are still doing this. Our car has had some intermittent connection glitches but hasn't totally taken a dive for the past few weeks. We are going to have to go to a different dealer from here on out and I'm kind of over it, so I'm hoping it's something fixable with software. We have lots of things going on in life lately and I don't want to add fighting with another dealership about this to the list.

·
Registered
2021 P8
18 Posts
It's crapped out again today, so far has not returned to normal. Unplugged around 7 am, and when I got in the IHU was showing the charge settings screen with 6A max and greyed out. Have run six local trips today and still no cellular or GPS connection even with reboot and modem reboot. Keeping my appointment tomorrow morning at the dealer to get this troubleshot.

·
Registered
934 Posts
It's crapped out again today, so far has not returned to normal. Unplugged around 7 am, and when I got in the IHU was showing the charge settings screen with 6A max and greyed out. Have run six local trips today and still no cellular or GPS connection even with reboot and modem reboot. Keeping my appointment tomorrow morning at the dealer to get this troubleshot.

Videos and pics for evidence will help you in the end. I am chatting with 2 lemon law attorneys about my brakes this week.

Reactions: 1moreRobot
181 - 200 of 213 Posts