Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the XC40 Recharge 4 days ago. About a day into the drive I began noticing that the infotainment system would auto shut down and restart in a never ending loop every 3-5 minutes. Everytime it shut down the screens would show these garish colors.

Glasses Automotive lighting Hood Product Automotive tire

I wonder if any one else has had this issue. I contacted Volvo CS and they told me to contact the dealer. I called the Dealer's Volvo service department and was told that there were 2-3 other cars with a similar issue and the fix involved a hardware part replacement and possibly a software update. I'm taking it in for servicing next week.

Needless to say, I'm disappointed since the infotainment system controls the temp/cameras/music etc.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Did you reboot your infotainment?
Hold down home button for 20 seconds see if it helps.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My wife's has done this since day one. After the first time in the shop they put a big reporting function connected to the rear defrost button in place and she big reported after each crash. Last week the scheduled her to drop the vehicle off yesterday. I recommend you contact the dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, yes, I did try to reboot the infotainment by holding down the home button, but then it resets and goes back into the never ending loop.

I have an appointment with the dealer for next week. I hope it's a quick fix or that they figure out the issue by next week,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wife's has done this since day one. After the first time in the shop they put a big reporting function connected to the rear defrost button in place and she big reported after each crash. Last week the scheduled her to drop the vehicle off yesterday. I recommend you contact the dealer.
Did they fix the issue on your wife's car yet?

I took the car in a few days ago. They said they needed to replace the entire hardware unit of the infotainment system, so they needed to request the part from Volvo, which could take anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months or possibly into winter.

Needless to say, I was upset that it could take this long to fix the issue. The owner of the dealership contacted me and told me that they would try to fix the issue by the end of the month. My other recourse would be to file a "Volvo care complaint".

·
Registered
144 Posts
No.

She left it with them for a week but they didn't provide any additional information. The dealer has never proactively communicated with us so I sent a message off to Volvo customer support.

I think the next step for us will be to ask for a replacement.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No.

She left it with them for a week but they didn't provide any additional information. The dealer has never proactively communicated with us so I sent a message off to Volvo customer support.

I think the next step for us will be to ask for a replacement.
Good Luck.

On the bright side, the Service rep said that there was a car with a similar issue 4 weeks ago and they just received the replacement part to fix this issue. Apparently it's not an uncommon problem as a few other car owners reported this issue.

I'm not sure how the chip shortage issue will affect the availability of replacement parts.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Is there not a lemon law in America?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Lemon laws are State laws, not Federal. Each state is different.
Most mandate that the car is rendered non drivable after two or three attempts at repair by the dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there not a lemon law in America?
Lemon laws are State laws, not Federal. Each state is different.
Most mandate that the car is rendered non drivable after two or three attempts at repair by the dealer.
True. Lemon laws can be invoked after the customer has made good faith attempts to get the issue fixed. (usually 3 attempts). I would imagine Volvo would try to get us a replacement if they can't fix the issue in a reasonable amount of time (6 months to fix it is unreasonable).

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I hope they are at least providing you with a loaner.
You might even insist / request a P8 loner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I picked up the car from the dealership (while waiting for the replacement part). Outside of the infotainment, it's driving and charging normally (fingers crossed). I can't hear the turn signals, but I'm hoping they are working normally.

·
Registered
609 Posts
True. Lemon laws can be invoked after the customer has made good faith attempts to get the issue fixed. (usually 3 attempts). I would imagine Volvo would try to get us a replacement if they can't fix the issue in a reasonable amount of time (6 months to fix it is unreasonable).
True to above. Either a certain frequent or good faith to fix and or within a certain threshold (I believe 6 months is familiar if I remember correctly).
more importantly, first find out if the lemon law is applicable to your state - for TX it is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A quick update, hopefully this helps someone else in the same boat: Dealership service called today to state that the part had arrived and they would be able to fix the car next week. (Around 3-4 hours to fix the issue). Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A quick update, hopefully this helps someone else in the same boat: Dealership service called today to state that the part had arrived and they would be able to fix the car next week. (Around 3-4 hours to fix the issue). Fingers crossed.
Someone pointed me here from another Volvo forum. I'm having the exact same issue. They tried doing a software reset and it didn't fix it. Now they have me bringing it again next week. Do you have any advice for me? I'm worried they're just going to have me keep bringing it and trying the same software update and system reset over and over again.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Looking forward to your update next week.
My car was at the Dealership for almost a week due to brake/rotor issues which they had replaced. Timing wise, there was a new software update so they had loaded it (just yesterday - 1.5 hours) (No showing APR 27 vs MAR 18 under Kernel version).

Issue now is: On my dashboard, the maps gone, only two blue-ish botches
I'm going back to Dealer today to get an accessory installed, so will ask them which I'm 100% certain they'd have no clue except "Oh...need you to leave your car here..." While I can leave with the NO map on dash (I almost never use it to begin with), it's still a tad unsettling why it's doing that.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Did you reset your Infotainment console?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Nope :( that’s how I got my maps up on the screen when I first got the car. The hold until it goes black and says Volvo reset path :(

Thanks for letting us know about this though. Definitely staying away from this for now.

1 - 20 of 213 Posts