Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a car on order, although I am not committed to it as the dealer knows it'll sell anyways (end of April is scheduled). I've owned many cars, but never one as governed by a touch screen as the XC40. I've read conflicting reports on the pros/cons of the intuitiveness of this touch screen. I posted a couple weeks ago about the touch screen in hot/cold weather - so maybe I'm hung up on this screen? I've always been used to the tactile feel of a button, knob, or lever where you can do virtually any sound, climate, seat/steering wheel heat/chill, etc., etc.

To me, lots of these controls cannot possibly be done on the touch screen without taking you eyes off the road, correct?

I can get around a touch screen/computer while sitting at a desk, yada, but how intuitive and what kind of learning curve did you have? The dealer said, 'you got half of it figured out already'....but I honestly didn't know where/what I was while doing so (although I played with it for literally just 2-3 minutes). During the test drive I was watching/feeling the engine, car, brakes, visibility (poor out the rt & lt back), much more than I was tapping and swiping.

Thoughts and opinions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Technically you can operate the car without ever touching the center console. Just set temperature etc. before you drive. While you can operate almost every control from the steering wheel and the voice recognition is a nice addition, the central control screen is extremely convoluted and requires a high degree of learning curve. Coming from Volvo, particularly because it sees itself as a safety brand, the central control screen is just unsafe because it is almost impossible to operate safely while driving. There are too many unintuitive multiple taps, swipes and scrolls necessary to navigate the system. In addition, the system is awfully slow to respond. For example, changing a driver profile can take over a minute to load. If there are two things requiring a redesign, it would be the shifter and the control screen. The goal obviously should be to reduce the distraction and the precious seconds’ loss with eyes off the road to do basic functions as changing cabin temperature and audio source.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Watson, you seemed to provide the answer early in your post, Set the temp before you drive, and I'd add the GPS if you have a specific location in mind. I see no reason why you need to change the drive mode, etc., which the car is moving. I think we all need to show some common sense while driving and not play with whatever is available. I can find fault with the XC40 if I try hard enough, but to be honest, I think it's a very good vehicle and will do everything that I desire, comfortable, in style and safely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Coupled with Apple Car Play / Siri I rarely need to touch the screen while driving. Maybe for an occasional temperature adjustment, but even that can be done with voice controls. I assume Android Auto has similar functionality.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had mine since last July and have not found it overly difficult for me, a woman of “un certain âge” as they say in French. Granted, I do not try to perform too many functions while driving, but my fingers have learned where the spots are on the screen to control temperature and use the heated steering wheel (my first, I love it!) and seat heater functions. I use the buttons on the steering wheel for the radio and have used the voice control as well. Once you learn where the “spots” are on the screen, I don’t think it’s that different from a button or knob. And if there is something new I want to figure out, I either look at the manual or google it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, I have a car on order, although I am not committed to it as the dealer knows it'll sell anyways (end of April is scheduled). I've owned many cars, but never one as governed by a touch screen as the XC40. I've read conflicting reports on the pros/cons of the intuitiveness of this touch screen. I posted a couple weeks ago about the touch screen in hot/cold weather - so maybe I'm hung up on this screen? I've always been used to the tactile feel of a button, knob, or lever where you can do virtually any sound, climate, seat/steering wheel heat/chill, etc., etc.

To me, lots of these controls cannot possibly be done on the touch screen without taking you eyes off the road, correct?

I can get around a touch screen/computer while sitting at a desk, yada, but how intuitive and what kind of learning curve did you have? The dealer said, 'you got half of it figured out already'....but I honestly didn't know where/what I was while doing so (although I played with it for literally just 2-3 minutes). During the test drive I was watching/feeling the engine, car, brakes, visibility (poor out the rt & lt back), much more than I was tapping and swiping.

Thoughts and opinions? Thanks in advance.
Quite a few of the commands can be done by voice, check out these commands, you will find that the XC40 has an excellent voice recognition system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quite a few of the commands can be done by voice, check out these commands, you will find that the XC40 has an excellent voice recognition system.
Maybe your XC40 is different than mine, because its voice recognition is the worst of any car I have ever driven. I am constantly repeating commands.

A bit off topic, but the built-in Volvo map system is worse than my 2015 Toyota RAV4's map - and that is not good either.

The good news is Apple CarPlay is amazing. I wish I could display Apple's map between the speed and RPM dials.

With all this said, I absolutely love my XC40. It could be the perfect car with a few software tweaks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts