Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to confirm that there is no in car hotspot offered with the P8? I don't see any mention of it anywhere, would have been nice, eve if there was an uplift charge over the free connection for 4 years.

Reactions: BikerBill

·
Registered
502 Posts
I want to confirm that there is no in car hotspot offered with the P8? I don't see any mention of it anywhere, would have been nice, eve if there was an uplift charge over the free connection for 4 years.
Correct, no in-car Wi-Fi hotspot at this point. Just the reverse - you can tether the car’s infotainment system to your phone’s personal hotspot.

Not surprising given Volvo is providing 4 years of “unlimited” data with the car. They don’t want to pay for your entire family streaming Netflix or Disney to their devices.

I expect at some point in the future (say in about 4 years) they will enable the “owner-provided SIM” slot above the rear view mirror. And then allow an in-car hotspot as long as you’re paying for the data.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The more I get involved with this car the more I see how Volvo just came up short.
Always Mr. Positive, aren’t you?

AFAIK, this feature was never advertised or promised. If we just assumed it would be there, then that’s our problem. I’m only speculating that eventually they will enable the owner-SIM slot for this, since the hardware supports it.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

AFAIK, this feature was never advertised or promised. If we just assumed it would be there, then that’s our problem. I’m only speculating that eventually they will enable the owner-SIM slot for this, since the hardware supports it.

My P8 made me that way. And I know it is not promised or advertised, but the competition is fierce. As more EVs enter the market they will need to compete, now it is fairly easy as the choices in any segment are limited. My eyes are on the GV60 and looking forward to that.

To stick with my pessimistic tone I am very confident my brakes will fails again and they will pretty much push this car to the buy back phase. It would be hard to Belview that in 9 more months my brakes will not seize again. There are 2 people on the forum that posted in the last week that they had the same stuck brakes. I offered Volvo options to try and I understand why they did try them, but in the end putting the same pads and rotors on over an over seems counter productive and the definition of insanity.

Oddly I still love the car, but reality is hard to ignore.

·
Registered
185 Posts

My two cents.
Every new cell phone has a hotspot tethering feature by either bluetooth or wifi.

I have had cars with hotspot options and never used them and never saw the need to have them. The data plans from the car companies are crazy expensive.

I believe car data hotspots are a fad. Everyone uses the much cheaper cellular data plan in their phones. And, the phone has a 5G connection with the most current security.
Why try to use an inferior car sim that works for music...but not much else.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My two cents.
Every new cell phone has a hotspot tethering feature by either bluetooth or wifi.

I have had cars with hotspot options and never used them and never saw the need to have them. The data plans from the car companies are crazy expensive.

I believe car data hotspots are a fad. Everyone uses the much cheaper cellular data plan in their phones. And, the phone has a 5G connection with the most current security.
Why try to use an inferior car sim that works for music...but not much else.

I agree, but IOS and now Android make it hard to automate it turning on. Seems Android 11 locked that down a bit. Been trying different tools to that when my phone pairs with the car it will turn on the hotspot

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree, it sis just the cell players don't want you enabling hotspot automatically like a car would

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree, it sis just the cell players don't want you enabling hotspot automatically like a car would
Color me confused....I don't understand why one would need a hotspot to turn on automatically. Phones have programs to automatically default to WFI before using cellular data.
If you defaulted to a hotspot, it would automatically utilize the cellular data and open a WIFI or bluetooth connection for others to use. Why is that an advantage or needed for people in a car.

The bluetooth in the car does automatically seek the cell phone and will use the data from the phone for streaming your in phone apps.

Please explain why one would need or want automatic hot spot access. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Please explain why one would need or want automatic hot spot access. Am I missing something?
I don’t know how Android phones work, but with iPhones you have to actually open the Personal Hotspot page in settings before it will broadcast the hotspot’s Wi-Fi SSID. Which is annoying to have to do this before your passengers can see & connect to your hotspot on their devices.

Apple does allow exceptions for other Apple devices signed into your Apple ID, as well as for any “Family Sharing” accounts you’ve set up. Those will connect automatically even without the SSID being broadcast.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Color me confused....I don't understand why one would need a hotspot to turn on automatically. Phones have programs to automatically default to WFI before using cellular data.
If you defaulted to a hotspot, it would automatically utilize the cellular data and open a WIFI or bluetooth connection for others to use. Why is that an advantage or needed for people in a car.

The bluetooth in the car does automatically seek the cell phone and will use the data from the phone for streaming your in phone apps.

For my dash cam. It has the ability to log into a hotspot and upload video to the cloud. Blackvue wants $150 for their hotspot module then you need a data plan. My phone comes with 40gb of hotspot every month so I can go through the phone.

The idea was when I get in the car and my phone pairs with car it would trigger Tasker (Android app) to enable the hotspot then when the phone disconnects from the car the hotspot would turn off. Then my dash cam could always be cloud connected.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
121 Posts
I've had cars with hotspots and I even paid for an extra year once but never really used them. We don't have young children that "need" to be entertained with electronic tablets when riding in our car. And when we did have young children, hand-held electronics did not exist. They learned to communicate and look out the windows. My Tesla doesn't offer a hotspot and I have no complaints and of course neither does my Volvo XC40 P8. And if I need one, I can always use my phone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts