Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new XC40 has had two very troubling problems with the key fob and ignition system. Has anyone else encountered them?

1. My car started without any keyfob in the car or within 50 feet. I tookit to the service department at Santa Monica Volvo and they told me that was "impossible unless there was a keyfob inside the car." They searched for one and said they could not find any. Then they charged me $206 dollars and told me I was wrong. I left steamed.

2. Today my keyfob would not start my car. My wife drove over with another keyfob which worked.

I called Volvo USA and they told me they have been encountering problems with re-furbished keyfobs that have old batteries that go dead. But my car is only 2 months old -- why is this happening??

Then they tried to show me how to change the battery but the back of the fob is impossible to open.

So now I am left with going back to the same shyster at Santa Monica Volvo Service Dept who will probably charge me another $206 to replace my battery.

I asked Volvo USA if they could prevent that from happening and they said they have no control over. dealers.

My wife is telling me she thinks I should return the car.

Advice?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mr. Dimmer,

I think that you should go back to the dealer and let him know that you spoke with Volvo USA (I pray you have the name and number of the person with whom you spoke to @ Volvo USA) so they will be able to inform your dealership that they have been seeing issues with the keyfobs so you won't be charged for them having to replace a battery/repair the keyfobs/give you a new set of keyfob. Since there is a known issue they should refund your original $206.

·
96 Posts
On Friday I couldn't get my car to turn off. When I pressed the Start/Stop button, the driver's side display said, "Press the Start/Stop button to shut off the engine" or something like that.. which is exactly what I'd been doing but the engine continued to run. So I pressed the P (park) button and then the Start/Stop again, and it shut off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jesus, you Americans are SO unprotected when it comes to consumer rights...

Those kind of problems wouldn't fly around here.

I would drop the car at the dealership and just tell them to call me when everything worked up to specs.

Under EC consumer law, everything that makes part of the sale is under warranty and should aptly perform the task it was sold for.

Refurbished fobs...!?!?...Old batteries...!?!?...Paying to sort out problems under warranty?...What the....!!?...How is any of that your problem?

FK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts