Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm used to both my mirror compass and map compass in my 2018 XC60 and quite surprised to not even having a north reference on either google map .

I suspect this must have something to do with the large magnets in both electric motors. Still a N,S,E,W symbol would be nice to have on Google maps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
On Google Maps you can press a little compass button (bottom left?) to go through 3 views - one keeps north being at the top of the screen - if you use this you'll know what compass direction you're driving in.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On Google Maps you can press a little compass button (bottom left?) to go through 3 views - one keeps north being at the top of the screen - if you use this you'll know what compass direction you're driving in.
Thank you but I have found that button/gear and I have always had my maps orientated with direction of flight/drive so having north on top of screen just doesn't work for me. Maybe they will eventually put a small marker pointing toward north someday.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But if we had a compass, wouldn't we have to re-calibrate it like the compass in our phones? You know, whip the phone around in a figure-8 pattern? I guess we'd need a big empty parking lot to do that with our car :)
We don't have to calibrate our Google maps direction capabilities on our iphones due to built in GPS, just like our Recharge.

·
Registered
83 Posts
But if we had a compass, wouldn't we have to re-calibrate it like the compass in our phones? You know, whip the phone around in a figure-8 pattern? I guess we'd need a big empty parking lot to do that with our car :)
I used to have to do that with a new Toyota or Lexus with a compass in the mirror. First you had to select a number corresponding to your region in the United States, then drive in a circle 10 or 15 times around. Luckily I found an area in a mall parking lot that was always empty to execute the maneuver

·
Registered
46 Posts
Somewhat off topic. My 9 year old daughter, Gianna, asked what the SW on the mirror of our xc90t8. I explained that we were driving southwest. She said that when she was younger she kept waiting for the letter G to show up on the mirror. She was always disappointed.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm used to both my mirror compass and map compass in my 2018 XC60 and quite surprised to not even having a north reference on either google map .

I suspect this must have something to do with the large magnets in both electric motors. Still a N,S,E,W symbol would be nice to have on Google maps.
BTW I did find the compass on Google maps, if you touch anywhere on the map surface a small box opens in the bottom right corner with a compass needle and more info/choices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts