1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually gets so focused on the twisty roads of the Icefields Parkway that I
Wheel Sky Tire Car Cloud
Wheel Cloud Car Tire Vehicle
don't always get to take in the beautiful scenery. Adaptive cruise and lane keeping assist give me enough peace of mind to take a look around.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It’s much nicer to use on a Sensus system because you can appropriately toggle it on and off. I feel the same way about it in my V60.

AAOS greatly diminished it with the asinine decision to effectively make it always on or always off with adaptive cruise.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
It’s much nicer to use on a Sensus system because you can appropriately toggle it on and off. I feel the same way about it in my V60.

AAOS greatly diminished it with the asinine decision to effectively make it always on or always off with adaptive cruise.
But it’s a new thing … originally it was the same as sensus.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Can you clarify? I test drove a 2022 Ultimate and while the graphics in the center display were a little different it seemed to work the same way as my 2019 XC60...?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Can you clarify? I test drove a 2022 Ultimate and while the graphics in the center display were a little different it seemed to work the same way as my 2019 XC60...?
In your 2019 XC60, you turn on Adaptive Cruise Control and then can toggle the Pilot Assist feature on and off using the left/right buttons on the left directional pad on your steering wheel.

In the past few versions of AAOS, they changed the way Pilot Assist is activated. It is now a setting buried several screens in on your central display. Not something you'd want to be messing around with while you drive. So either it'll always be on anytime Adaptive Cruise Control is active, it will always be off, or you'll be screwing around tapping and swiping and tapping some more on your IHU while you're trying to drive.

It truly is mind-bogglingly stupid and I cannot for the life of me figure out what they're thinking.

• Angry
Reactions: ColoradoNative

·
Registered
209 Posts
But it’s a new thing … originally it was the same as sensus.
Yeah that is curious and also maddening. So it's not like a feature that they hadn't gotten around to coding in yet (like so many others). It was all set up to work as it had in Sensus, and then they made a conscious and deliberate decision to change it.

Why? What improvement was gained with that? It really does irk me.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Did they add a hey google voice command to switch it on and off?

Perhaps we can work out if they did (not in my car at the moment).

It would be just like them to add a handy voice command and forget to tell us. :)

I keep thinking the voice stuff would be really handy but I am not sure if it is me but I am finding it very non intuitive and hence I forget to use it most of the time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In your 2019 XC60, you turn on Adaptive Cruise Control and then can toggle the Pilot Assist feature on and off using the left/right buttons on the left directional pad on your steering wheel.

In the past few versions of AAOS, they changed the way Pilot Assist is activated. It is now a setting buried several screens in on your central display. Not something you'd want to be messing around with while you drive. So either it'll always be on anytime Adaptive Cruise Control is active, it will always be off, or you'll be screwing around tapping and swiping and tapping some more on your IHU while you're trying to drive.

It truly is mind-bogglingly stupid and I cannot for the life of me figure out what they're thinking.
Oh, ok. I pretty much never use the adaptive cruise w/o the pilot assist, so I'm one of those people that actually would prefer this change. I find it kind of annoying that I have to a) turn on ACC and then b) turn on the lane keep every single time. 🤷‍♂️

I do get the sense that Volvo is phasing out some of the (relatively) unused features, e.g. my XC60 has five or six drive modes, I basically only use two (Pure and Hybrid) and it's silly that there's no option to tell it to default to Pure.

FWIW, of the 2-3 sales people I've talked to at the dealer, none of them seemed to understand how to actually use the ACC+PA on my XC60. My guess is a lot of end users didn't understand it either. I only figured it out after playing with the car while I was bored in traffic over a period of a few weeks. I use it all the time now.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I will love the adaptive cruise control but darn it I am having too much fun going swoosh :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oh, ok. I pretty much never use the adaptive cruise w/o the pilot assist, so I'm one of those people that actually would prefer this change. I find it kind of annoying that I have to a) turn on ACC and then b) turn on the lane keep every single time. 🤷‍♂️
Where we live, perpetual construction has the freeway almost in shambles and not fit to drive on. Lane markings are inconsistent or actually destructive (as lanes shift and the old paint lines aren't completely removed). Many places it's narrowed so much with barriers that it's like piloting through the trenches of the Deathstar, and debris that falls on the road is never picked up.

Still nice to have adaptive cruise on so that the car can react to the ebb and flow of traffic speed, but I need to be able to steer entirely on my own in these stretches. Fortunately my car still has Pilot Assist with the steering toggle, but my husband's does not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

It's just a quick toggle with your left thumb on the steering wheel to switch between adaptive cruise and pilit assist. I find it very convenient.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
It's just a quick toggle with your left thumb on the steering wheel to switch between adaptive cruise and pilit assist. I find it very convenient.
Do you have 1.7?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Our car was purchased mid-summer and never functioned like that. I think you must be several software updates behind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not software. It's hardwired on the left side of the steering wheel. My car is a 2019 XC40 T5 R Design in Bursting Blue.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
It's not software. It's hardwired on the left side of the steering wheel. My car is a 2019 XC40 T5 R Design in Bursting Blue.
Is not hardware almost always software these days?
The functionality of any button can be re programmed I would imagine.

That said I wish there was a button to toggle the volume button to be the fan speed button.

·
Registered
209 Posts
oops, I lost the thread here. Thought I was in the Recharge subforum.
Yes the steering wheel button is a superior implementation (that’s how it works on my V60 too). The change in the AAOS system means we rarely use Pilot assist there, although we use it all the time in the V60.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts