Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a service appt. today to get a software update, so I took all three keys just in case. It turned out I didn’t need to do that. I got the update (on the third try, they said) and hopped in the car to head home. I had a stop to make along the way, so when I got out I naturally hit the spot on the handle and the car locked and the mirrors turned in. Then the “Oh s**t” moment occurred, I had left all three key in my backpack in the car! I tried the Volvo Cars app, but that didn’t work. Called the dealer to ask for On Call to unlock the car. That didn’t work. They said to call roadside assistance. I did, they tried an unlock, no go again. Said that they would send someone, and I got a text that they would arrive in 35 minutes. After 35 minutes the message was ‘arriving soon’. That persisted for a half hour when I got a voice call from the provider saying that he was heading out and would be about 30 minutes to arrive. When he showed he pried the top of the driver side door up a bit, inserted a bladder, a few pumps and he put the rod in and pulled on the door handle. It took less than a minute. No scratches, the door is fine. When the door opened a weeny little repeating beep happened, that was extinguished by the retrieved fob. I have never heard of a modern fob-based car that would let you lock keys inside. But I guess that I have one though!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Wow. And thanks for a new fear. Okay not true as it was an old fear that I at last got rid of.

Stupid question did you try the unlock button on the door handle? I assume yes. If it failed it means it knew the keys were inside …. And so should not of locked.

So glad I always keep my keys in my pocketses.

Sorry that happened. Must of been horrible seeing them prying at your car.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Further thought. I guess one should never lock with the key free handle button … a waste of a feature but that feature could really mess things up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had a service appt. today to get a software update, so I took all three keys just in case. It turned out I didn’t need to do that. I got the update (on the third try, they said) and hopped in the car to head home. I had a stop to make along the way, so when I got out I naturally hit the spot on the handle and the car locked and the mirrors turned in. Then the “Oh s**t” moment occurred, I had left all three key in my backpack in the car! I tried the Volvo Cars app, but that didn’t work. Called the dealer to ask for On Call to unlock the car. That didn’t work. They said to call roadside assistance. I did, they tried an unlock, no go again. Said that they would send someone, and I got a text that they would arrive in 35 minutes. After 35 minutes the message was ‘arriving soon’. That persisted for a half hour when I got a voice call from the provider saying that he was heading out and would be about 30 minutes to arrive. When he showed he pried the top of the driver side door up a bit, inserted a bladder, a few pumps and he put the rod in and pulled on the door handle. It took less than a minute. No scratches, the door is fine. When the door opened a weeny little repeating beep happened, that was extinguished by the retrieved fob. I have never heard of a modern fob-based car that would let you lock keys inside. But I guess that I have one though!
This is only possible if the key signal is blocked. The keys must have been in the backpack and in a compartment or an area of the car that prevented the car from sensing the keys.

The system is almost foolproof. It has been fine tuned for years. But, putting all the keys in a shielded RF area will defeat even the best failsafe. Cars not recognizing keys can be easily accomplished by using a Faraday shielded pouch.

Let's not overblow and sensationalize this single event.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If Bluetooth had been blocked, the car's keyless locking via the door handle button could not have occurred in the first place. "One of the vehicle's remote keys must be within range for locking and unlocking to be possible" per the Owner's Manual. So, the question is, was an attempt made to unlock the car via the door handle button? And if that failed, there has to be a malfunction requiring warranty action.

Another consideration, again per the Owner's Manual:

"It is important that only one pressure-sensitive surface is activated at a time. If the handle is grasped at the same time as the lock area is pressed, there is a risk that double commands may be sent. This may cause the requested action (locking/unlocking) to be delayed or not performed at all."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The key signal was not blocked at all. The keys were in a canvas backpack sitting on the floor on the passenger side. It is indeed a malfunction that should be addressed. As mentioned, the doors would not lock unless there was a key present. The car could not distinguish between a key inside and outside the car.

I did try to unlock from the door handle, but of course that didn’t work. So at that time the car didn’t recognize a key present outside the car. When I get time I’ll try to replicate this to see if I can characterize the conditions that work and don’t work.

·
Registered
609 Posts
This is super interesting -- Just few days ago, my key was inside the Car, attached to backpack. I came out of the Car, and tried to unlock the car from the door handle. But the Car wouldn't lock - So i had assumed that it DIDN'T lock because it had sensed that the Key was inside the car therefore should not be locked from the outside ?

That God it didn't lock because I didn't have my phone with me either....HHmmm....

So which is which ?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I cannot wait to get well so I can test this out.

I wonder if it is a multi factorial bug that can be duplicated on any car or a failure of sensor or a broken piece of software / gear in the specific car.

Did not realize about the 2 signals from the door handle that explains some delays with my big hands. Was that from a linear manual blitzswede or was it from bouncing around the electronic one.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The key signal was not blocked at all. The keys were in a canvas backpack sitting on the floor on the passenger side. It is indeed a malfunction that should be addressed. As mentioned, the doors would not lock unless there was a key present. The car could not distinguish between a key inside and outside the car.

I did try to unlock from the door handle, but of course that didn’t work. So at that time the car didn’t recognize a key present outside the car. When I get time I’ll try to replicate this to see if I can characterize the conditions that work and don’t work.
Keys in a backpack on the passenger floor is not a location that I would consider "readable" for an RF key fob.

Automatic relocking
If none of the doors or tailgate are opened within two minutes after being unlocked, they will automatically relock. This function reduces the risk of inadvertently leaving the vehicle unlocked.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Keys in a backpack on the passenger floor is not a location that I would consider "readable" for an RF key fob.

Automatic relocking
If none of the doors or tailgate are opened within two minutes after being unlocked, they will automatically relock. This function reduces the risk of inadvertently leaving the vehicle unlocked.
A handy function we found when trying to work out if the car would auto lock when we walked away. I had miss remembered it at 5 minutes so thank you for the clarification.

However for this to happen the doors would have to be opened electronically but not physically and then left for 2 minutes.

Is there a reason that this situation would of been triggered?

With keyless entry and exit I would assume a key in your gym bag/ hand bag /work bag placed on the passenger floor would be a place one would definitely make a great spot for keys as it is somewhere the keys in a bag would often end up.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I cannot wait to get well so I can test this out.

I wonder if it is a multi factorial bug that can be duplicated on any car or a failure of sensor or a broken piece of software / gear in the specific car.

Did not realize about the 2 signals from the door handle that explains some delays with my big hands. Was that from a linear manual blitzswede or was it from bouncing around the electronic one.
Wait wait…. You have to get well! QUICK !!!! So much to test on !!!!
On a serious note, hope you get well soon to continue this experimental but super fun journey

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Thank you. een 4 days since I have been able to drive and am getting a little stir crazy being stuck at home. But this shall pass and by then the car will need a nice wash and I will get to enjoy her again.

And yes so much to test!!! I still need to find ice to see if opd can deploy abs :p and now with this key issue fun times :)

For those about to be hit with heat advisories stay cool :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thank you. een 4 days since I have been able to drive and am getting a little stir crazy being stuck at home. But this shall pass and by then the car will need a nice wash and I will get to enjoy her again.

And yes so much to test!!! I still need to find ice to see if opd can deploy abs :p and now with this key issue fun times :)

For those about to be hit with heat advisories stay cool :)
I’d just gotten used to OPD and I’m loving it by the day. id found that given the weight of the car, once it starts going, it takes a while to slow down without feeling like you’re having to break “⎌aggressively” As the distance and speed of of coasting is indeed longer. Ironically, with OPD I feel that there’s so much better control of the car.
So yes I, curious of the ABS as well although I won’t have to worry about snow (if any) till end of year …. There are more days with ice than snow….

1 - 13 of 13 Posts