Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my XC 40 since December, 2019. There have been recalls and problems but my general
impression is a poorly made car when I had expected excellence.
It's noisy, has a dangerous right side blind spot, rough ride, seats unraveling underneath, cheap cargo cover
and plastic covers, has very poor mileage and on and on. I switched from an Audi which had much better ride,
construction, gas mileage, etc. and did a lot of research before leasing this car. Most reviews were very good
but of all the cars I've owned to date, this model has the poorest quality of interior and worst performance.
If anyone wants one and wishes to take the lease for 2 more years you may have it!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I guess you should get another Audi. I have been a mechanic for 50 years and I disagree with you completely. My 2019 R-Design has been flawless, solid and reliable, having owned it now since the end of December 2018. My neighbors Audi has been ridiculously expensive to own and plagued with problems. It has had the cylinder head just replaced after 10 mos. of ownership.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know about all these people complaining with anecdotes. I think they have overblown expectations and I believe they lack the technical familiarity with cars. Frankly, I'll respond with my own: I love my XC40 and really feel it has excellent build quality. I've owned brand new, recent-year Toyotas, Hondas, Subarus, and Fords and Volvo is my favorite overall. I have a friend that owned an Audi and when he needed to have something replaced or fixed, the part $ was exorbitant (eg. the sunroof shade latch was $150). I recently took my XC40 on some SERIOUS 4WD trails in Colorado and had to replace multiple underbody air panels, I ripped out the rear-drivers-side wheel well panel because the mud guard caught the ground, and I bent two underbody steel cross-members because I was bottoming out on rock. I was concerned at the parts cost because I bought it in 2019. Replacement panels, body screws and bolts, and steel crossmembers all told was ~$150.... parts or a brand new MODEL. Frankly, after now having intimate experience looking at the body construction and the engineering insight that went into design (I do my own oil changes as evidence I actually WANT to know and understand my own car), I am confident Volvo's engineering and constructability is far and above the brands I've known. Volvo inherited Ford's constructability when they were owned by them. Volvos look good, use good quality materials (unlike Toyota), and don't overcomplicate design like Audi.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts