Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was parking in a car park with a little slope. Went to put it in to reverse and it did the bing bing of failed to change gear ( which happens with or without sound randomly) but I was moving backwards so I though mmm maybe the bing bing was because I had reached my destination. I am shooting backwards so I ease up on the one pedal and I am still accelerating backwards …

I move my foot and use the break pedal.
Then I notice that I am in NEUTRAL.

I have now worked out why it fails to get into gear sometimes … if you do not slam it all the way up or down it goes to neutral (which might or might not cause sound warning) once you are in neutral you cannot exit without using the break.

Here ends a 2 month mystery of why it fails to change gear sometimes.

Reactions: mike1234

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was parking in a car park with a little slope. Went to put it in to reverse and it did the bing bing of failed to change gear ( which happens with or without sound randomly) but I was moving backwards so I though mmm maybe the bing bing was because I had reached my destination. I am shooting backwards so I ease up on the one pedal and I am still accelerating backwards …

I have now worked out why it fails to get into gear sometimes … if you do not slam it all the way up or down it goes to neutral (which might or might not cause sound warning) once you are in neutral you cannot exit without using the break.

Must have been a scary experience shooting backwards!

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
257 Posts
"slam"? Do you typically need more forceful activation? I've just gently gotten two 'notches' each time, never fails to do what I ask.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
144 Posts
In my X1 (8-speed auto), you can just barely feel that there are two "points" on the shifter. So if you push it just past halfway you hit the first point and shift one position (like drive to neutral). But if you push it almost as far as it goes, it'll skip over neutral. (drive to reverse). Any chance the P8 actually has two shifter points like that?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slam is an exaggeration and more a forced correction. I was probably just not going far enough. For the record I would never slam Margos’s gear shift :)

I will learn to identify the 2 notches and then it will do as I wish :)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

We had this problem the other day, you really have to make sure the shifter if pushed or pulled firmly or it will not register. Say what you want, but I loved the push button shifters in Acura, no confusion and easy gear changing. This double push pull Volvo stuff is just odd.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing that made it worse was that I did not know it was a thing until I worked out what was going on yesterday. Now it should be easy to get used to but yeah. Odd is a good word.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Even with wife and I driving XC40s I still double check myself as a few times we got confused. Surprised NHTSA has not done a study yet on the various different shifters and their impact on safety, I have to believe that is coming some day. Things were very common for many years and in the last 5+ years we have so many different shifter mechanisms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts