Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
REALLY nice job on the towing package Volvo.

I get in and start the engine and I get:
1) Trailer connected, BLIS disabled.
2) Trailer light check? (OK, Cancel) click OK
3) Left signal, right signal, running lights, brakes, off with the trailer lights!

Then when I start out, it again tells me BLIS is disabled, makes me acknowledge and puts up a permanent icon showing that.

I believe auto start/stop is disabled even though it's selected and green in center console leftmost page.

After I parked, got out and locked the car, the trailer running lights were on.
The car running lights were not on.
The went out when I walked away, and came back on when I walked closer.
I'm not sure if the car was sensing the key or my body or what.
It's going to take a little more experimentation to see what exactly is going on.

Oh, man, one more thing, when backing, the backup view has a "Towball" setting instead of "Lines" that draws a line from your towball to wherever it's going depending on the steering wheel angle. I backed RIGHT TO THE HITCH the first time.

I'll give Volvo an A+ for this towing package.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Nice review and pretty car :)
What’s the range like towing that?

·
Registered
87 Posts
My P8 was ordered with the towing package, and I've used it a few times to move a raft trailer short distances. I get the warnings about BLIS and parking sensors, and do get an opportunity to test the trailer lights.

However, no onscreen help with locating the tow ball, which would be helpful since the rear camera is offset and movement is distorted. Just another example of how the P8 lacks features that are standard on the ICE version.

I also find that the normal receiver / hitch / ball rattling is transmitted throughout the vehicle. It's impossible to forget you are dragging a trailer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also find that the normal receiver / hitch / ball rattling is transmitted throughout the vehicle. It's impossible to forget you are dragging a trailer.
I use a hitch rattle eliminator, but I notice a lot more squeaking from the ball/coupler connection that I ever had towing with an aftermarket receiver hitch on a 2004 V70.
A light grease helped, but now the ball is greasy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My P8 was ordered with the towing package, and I've used it a few times to move a raft trailer short distances. I get the warnings about BLIS and parking sensors, and do get an opportunity to test the trailer lights.

However, no onscreen help with locating the tow ball, which would be helpful since the rear camera is offset and movement is distorted. Just another example of how the P8 lacks features that are standard on the ICE version.

The setting is actually there on our P8 models as well! I've used it and can also attest to it being a very useful feature. When you have the cameras showing, there should be a setting icon on the screen. Press that and you'll get three options for the back up view line settings, one of which is Towball.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts