Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my XC40 Momentum 16 months ago. My favorite car EVER (and I've owned bunches of cars over my lifetime including various Volvo models). Last week some guy slammed into the back of me while I was at a stoplight and then proceeded to fly away at a high rate of speed leaving behind most of the front end of his car on the road in multiple pieces. I honestly don't know how his car could even be driven after that. The damage to my car looks pretty bad (in fact I thought it might be totaled), but the insurance adjuster things it can be fixed and it will begin getting repaired this week. I only have 6600 miles on the car!!! When I bought the car I had chosen it perfectly with the exact options/features that I wanted and in a lovely color and interior that I loved. Now I am worried that I will never be quite satisfied or comfortable with this car again. I know I shouldn't be whining. No one was injured, and my Volvo protected me just like it was designed to do. It is just that there is bad damage to the bumper, back right fender and back right wheel. I think the back right wheel is actually broken off the coil spring. Just coming here to vent to like-minded Volvo lovers. (sigh....)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I hope one of the peaces of his car left behind was the license plate. I hate people like that.

·
Registered
2020 XC40 R-Design, Glacier Silver, Polestar
4 Posts
Find the best repair shop you can find, you don't have to take low bid. Good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree with PapaMitch. The repair shop that you use is your choice, so get one that has good reviews. Hopefully when the work is done you won't even notice that there was ever a problem. Best of luck to you from someone who has gone through a similar situation previously.

·
167 Posts
I’m so sorry. My last car was also hit when almost brand new and I remember feeling I would never enjoy it again. I did, but it still is a disappointment. I agree with others. Really ask around to find the best shop. It makes all the difference and your insurance company can’t dictate which you use. I would also push your insurance adjuster to discuss how close you are to totatling it. (Unless you’re upside down on an auto loan.) In hindsight I wish I would have really pushed my insurance company to total it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I purchased my XC40 Momentum 16 months ago. My favorite car EVER (and I've owned bunches of cars over my lifetime including various Volvo models). Last week some guy slammed into the back of me while I was at a stoplight and then proceeded to fly away at a high rate of speed leaving behind most of the front end of his car on the road in multiple pieces. I honestly don't know how his car could even be driven after that. The damage to my car looks pretty bad (in fact I thought it might be totaled), but the insurance adjuster things it can be fixed and it will begin getting repaired this week. I only have 6600 miles on the car!!! When I bought the car I had chosen it perfectly with the exact options/features that I wanted and in a lovely color and interior that I loved. Now I am worried that I will never be quite satisfied or comfortable with this car again. I know I shouldn't be whining. No one was injured, and my Volvo protected me just like it was designed to do. It is just that there is bad damage to the bumper, back right fender and back right wheel. I think the back right wheel is actually broken off the coil spring. Just coming here to vent to like-minded Volvo lovers. (sigh....)
I live in L.A. when this sort of thing is a daily occurance. The first thing I did when I bought my XC40 is to have a dash cam, front and rear, installed. I figure it's only a matter of time before I get nailed as I was in my former car, an Evoque. A Susie-cheerleader type young woman driving her parents' Colorado-registered Grand Cherokee with brush guard slammed into me on the Santa Monica Freeway. "I was just reaching for my Chapstick." was her excuse. I told her, "If you can't handle L.A. traffic, stay in Colorado."

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is a bummer!!!! Understand your disappointment. Hope you find a great repair shop. Maybe a dealer can recommend one?

·
167 Posts
The first thing I did when I bought my XC40 is to have a dash cam, front and rear, installed.
Absolutely! I did the same thing. After my my last brand new car got hit three times within its first year, I will always have front and rear dash cams. I’m going to trial in March against the first guy who hit me since he’s lying and was trying to commit insurance fraud. The second time a lady hit my parked car and drove off, and the third time a drunk driver slammed into my car and tried to drive off. Dash cams are an honest driver’s friend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, I guess I can join the club. This is my first week with my bursting blue T5 R-Design and it already has a ding on its nose. It was hit by some sort of flying object on the I-10 in Los Angeles. I'm guessing that it was a large rock thrown from a freeway overpass. The closest I can get to describing the feeling is that it is like getting a zit on the day before the prom (and I'm 71 years old). Unfortunately, this is going to be a bit more difficult to get rid of than a zit.

·
167 Posts
Sorry Tony! Happened to me too. Something chipped my windshield badly flying off a car ahead of me on the expressway in Chicago when my car was nearly brand new. I had it repaired but it is still very visible and more or less right in front of me all the time. It’s been an exercise in not being too OCD about my car, and I consider it as a reminder that ultimately it is just a hunk of metal. A humility check of sorts. Hope you can find a good body shop to pop your zit cheaply and easily.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Get the best repair you can. When it’s done, if you can tell it has been damaged in the least, bite the bullet and sell it and buy another. It’ll cost you but if you love it that much, get one that you’re happy with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You might want to consider a diminished value insurance claim also.

A Diminished Value Insurance Claim is when you request an amount of money from your insurance company to compensate you for the difference between your car's value before the repairs (prior to the accident) and its current value now that it has been repaired. This value can easily amount to a few thousand dollars for newer vehicles

Might be worth looking into.

Matt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts