Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised that the XC40 P8 does not have a fully automatic setting for heating / air conditioning fan speed like other modern cars. I'd like to hit "Auto" and have the car figure it out. Anyone else?
"The climate system automatically adapts airflow as needed within the set blower speed, which means that airflow speed may vary slightly within the same blower speed."

·
Registered
172 Posts
BMW has done this for years, but that doesn't mean that I've enjoyed it. Our XC40 P8 is my wife's car -- my daily driver at the moment is a 2021 Mini Cooper SE (Electric). It has the same funky BMW-based HVAC system that my other BMW vehicles have had (BMW i3, BMW i8, X3, etc)--

On the BMW system it is identical in "how it works" to the P8's system. You can adjust the temperature, and you can adjust where you point, but in Automatic mode you just "set temp and forget it" -- but still have fan adjustment capabilities. I guess I sort of get it -- you can get the car to a hotter/colder temp with a lower fan speed by adjusting the temp of the air coming out. But most cars, the fan speed is "part" of the automated process. So I'm with you-- its odd. A feature that BMW has long offered that I never really have loved. Volvo seems to have jumped on that wagon too, oddly.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All of our cars from this millennium have had an automatic setting for fan speed - Leaf, Soul, Lexus, Maserati, Tesla. This Volvo is the first car in memory for us that doesn't.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Volvo and BMW must have talked to my wife. In our other cars she absolutely hates when the auto climate setting makes the fan blow too hard - to the point of 1) closing all the air vents (making the fans work even harder, of course) or 2) just shutting off the auto climate control entirely.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I loved the automatic climate controls in my 2007 BMW 530xi. Set the temperature and you're done. Very capable, even on the hottest or coldest days. You could choose a range for the automatic fan - Intense, Medium, or Soft. The P8 climate system has similar behavior with the fan speed setting, but is anemic in comparison.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
154 Posts
I agree with @shawkinaw, the fan speed is automatic. You choose which level of automatic intensity that you desire and it will modulate depending upon the cabin temperature delta from the setpoint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts