Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is early, but I’m sure this is something that most would like to turn on.

From current research it’s only software that will lock it out. Hopefully we have some option (OEM level tools will be required if possible at all).

Don’t understand why USA it’s against progress same with camera mirrors, or standard with charging stations/cable. However, let’s keep this on topic LOL.

· Registered
239 Posts
I know this is early, but I’m sure this is something that most would like to turn on.

From current research it’s only software that will lock it out. Hopefully we have some option (OEM level tools will be required if possible at all).

Don’t understand why USA it’s against progress same with camera mirrors, or standard with charging stations/cable. However, let’s keep this on topic LOL.
Biden's Infrastructure Bill includes updates for headlight regulation Click here to read more about it and once that's all A-OK'ed, I'm sure Volvo will just send an OTA update to enable that feature.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Biden's Infrastructure Bill includes updates for headlight regulation Click here to read more about it and once that's all A-OK'ed, I'm sure Volvo will just send an OTA update to enable that feature.
It’s a step in a right direction. Hopefully, within the two years they say they need to move forward with it this won’t die. Or there’s more to the fin print like only GM (his big sponsor) technology is allows. Or just like the EV bill he passed claiming that it will support the EV cars but not even the truck he specifically said it would effect it doesn’t. The hummer EV is to expensive to qualify for any federal credit and others would have to be union build in USA garbage and lies sadly.

I’m not trying to be political I’m calling BS as the proof shows it for either side.

· Registered
2,537 Posts

They are a bit slow, but we really neglects cars here in the states. Can you imagine al older car with pixel lights. I am hoping if there is a malfunction it default to standard low beam patterns. Back in the day in NY/NJ you have to get your car fully inspected every year where they went over tires, lights, etc. When I mover to GA 30 years ago the junk I saw and still see on the roads is scary.

Reactions: Kamil

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
They are a bit slow, but we really neglects cars here in the states. Can you imagine al older car with pixel lights. I am hoping if there is a malfunction it default to standard low beam patterns. Back in the day in NY/NJ you have to get your car fully inspected every year where they went over tires, lights, etc. When I mover to GA 30 years ago the junk I saw and still see on the roads is scary.
Yes you have a start up procedure every time you turn the car in. If it fails it’s start up it turns off the smart / adaptive function.

I agree cars in American are discussing to say at least (average condition) however, always think that all items that are used in EU went through 100 x more testing then products for USA when most part as long as you write “off street use only “ it’s a free game in USA and other then one state no one looks or cares.
We allowed lifted trucks that will kill you on impact as they don’t contact your bumper or crumble zone, blinds you, and at minimum brake your windshield but god forbid we have smart headlights.

Not to mention that this technology is only on European manufacturing cars … Ford or GM doesn’t have that and somehow that’s illegal in USA interesting…

also keep in mind that Ford sells more cars in EU then Volvo in USA meaning it’s not like they don’t have it as it’s illegal. They don’t have it as they don’t own patents and don’t have that technology.

But wait when GM in Cadillac made a rear view camera as the back up mirror in 2019 that’s legal but the side mirrors from VW group are still illegal even though used for many years in other markets.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
It would be nice for the NA regulators to collaborate with EU teams so maybe we can get more standardized features in cars. The less variations the car makers need to deal with the less expensive the car and also I would bet increases reliability as there are less things to test.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would be nice for the NA regulators to collaborate with EU teams so maybe we can get more standardized features in cars. The less variations the car makers need to deal with the less expensive the car and also I would bet increases reliability as there are less things to test.
Agreed,

Imagine only one charger cable and you can charge your car at every EV station….

This plus 100 other benefits for customers and millions saved for manufactures.

· Registered
206 Posts
I’m sure if/when the pixel LED headlight technology is allowed in the USA, Volvo will be able to activate it via software update.

Tesla just released a large holiday software update and the cars that are equipped with matrix LED headlights could project the word “Tesla” on a wall when activating a new “light show” function. So this tells me Volvo could make the pixel LED headlights function to its full capability when the time comes.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m sure if/when the pixel LED headlight technology is allowed in the USA, Volvo will be able to activate it via software update.

Tesla just released a large holiday software update and the cars that are equipped with matrix LED headlights could project the word “Tesla” on a wall when activating a new “light show” function. So this tells me Volvo could make the pixel LED headlights function to its full capability when the time comes.
I love your optimism and hope you are correct however, what one manufacture is doing especially Tesla that is more “ lose” with standard and safety is not representative of what others will or can do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.