Volvo XC40 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a long discussion with Volvo Customer support and they confirmed what the salesman told me, that there is only one black key given to the buyer. She had no idea how anyone was getting a second black key unless they paid the dealer to program another one. However, she said there is also supposed to be a black chip, not a key, with limited function. I did not get that. Here is her email below. So I repeat my question to those in the U.S. who have taken delivery: what exactly are you getting in the way of keys?

Thank you for contacting Volvo Car USA. We appreciate your inquiry and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with your vehicle. To recap our phone conversation, a few points we went over were as follows:

1. Keys - 2021 vehicles come equipped with 3 keys - an orange Care key, a traditional black key and a key chip (sports/valet key).
  2. Vehicle features - a few features may not currently be available on your vehicle. These include the Volvo On Call app, Smart Phone Integration - Apple Car Play, Sirius XM. These features will be available later in 2021 as a software update.
  3. We have included a downloadable rebate coupon if you choose to have a dealer program an additional traditional black key for your wife. Please keep copies of all of your paperwork and follow the instructions on the rebate form.

The orange Care Key is a new feature to 2021 Volvo vehicles. To set up the speed limiter, you can change maximum speed for a Care Key via the center display:
I received 2 black and 1 orange key in southern California when we picked up our car in early April.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My wife is always sad about the drab colours of things, so she was very excited by the orange key. Then the dealer pointed out it wasn’t quite like the black keys. We now have the fun situation where she changed the shells from the keys so that hers could be orange. So if anyone is wondering if that is possible, my wife is happy with the results.

I pretty much immediately pulled out the label maker and labeled the care key.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received 2 black and 1 orange key in southern California when we picked up our car in early April.
Here in Northern California, we experienced the same situation as Rick B in Southern California. That is, two identical black keys and one orange key. It's somewhat analogous to the two black keys and a single sport key that we received with our XC90 T8 in 2016.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife is always sad about the drab colours of things, so she was very excited by the orange key. Then the dealer pointed out it wasn’t quite like the black keys. We now have the fun situation where she changed the shells from the keys so that hers could be orange. So if anyone is wondering if that is possible, my wife is happy with the results.

I pretty much immediately pulled out the label maker and labeled the care key.
How does she feel about wood? Volvo sells wood shells remote keys.
Remote key fob shell - wood

21 - 25 of 25 Posts