Volvo XC40 Forum banner

How many keys for the 2021 XC40 Recharge ?

14K views 68 replies 21 participants last post by  He Keith 
#1 ·
In western Canada, our dealer issued 2 keys for our XC40 Recharge - a black one & an orange one. The orange key is called a "CARE KEY" & is supposed to have some car speed limiting abilities in future, so this is the key you can lend out. The orange key cannot be connected to a driver profile - only the black key can. This means that my wife is using the orange key & has no profile linked to her key. This seems shortsighted, but of course VOLVO Canada says that we can purchase an additional key.
There are YouTube videos from USA VOLVO dealers showing that new owners get 3 keys, 2 black ones & the orange one, so two keys can be linked to driver profiles. Our 2019 XC40 came with 3 keys & everything worked well. Is VOLVO Canada just trying to get more $$ from me, or do they think that limiting us to one key & one profile is all that most families need ? I think they are wrong about this.

#2 ·
UK Owner - I got three keys with mine, two black one orange. The two black are standard keys designated Key 1 and Key 2. Key one is now linked to my wife's profile and key 2 to mine. This gives automatic setting of the drivers seat depending on which key has been used.

#4 ·
I don’t actually have the vehicle yet, but my understanding from reading and the discussion we had with the dealer is that the sports key is no longer included, but can be purchased after the fact. The orange key is a replacement for the red key. We were told there would be two black keys though, so my wife and I each get a set of keys for setting up our profiles.

#6 ·
Picked our Recharge two weeks ago - Three keys rec'd - two black one Orange - rather than Volvo Canada - perhaps your dealer is trying to make some extra margin to sell you another key - If I were you I would go back to the dealer and let them know you are aware every other Canadian that has taken delivery has rec'd three keys so you would like your second black key.

#8 ·
Your car should have three keys, two black and one orange. Check your glovebox to see if the clear blister pack designed to hold three keys is still there. It happens. Otherwise, call the dealer and ask for the key.

Reactions: blitzswede
#9 ·
In California I got only one black key and an orange key. I was told the orange key doesn't do anything now, but will in the future. I assumed that meant you can't even drive the car with it. I haven't tested it. My wife will not drive this car or any other car than her trusty 2006 Acura, so it hasn't been an issue. Did others in the U.S. get two black keys?

#14 ·
My dealer now admits that they have kept the OWNERS KEY (known to the car as KEY 1). They withheld that key thinking that they would need it for doing the big software update in the next month or 2. After that they say they will give me the OWNERS KEY ... good thinking, seeing as I am the OWNER.

#15 ·
I would think there is a greater chance of the dealer losing the key fob especially when they do not have a car in inventory to match it - personally I would feel more comfortable having all my own car key fobs and then when they have to do an update since the OTA is not yet available bring all the keys in for the update.

#18 ·
I had a long discussion with Volvo Customer support and they confirmed what the salesman told me, that there is only one black key given to the buyer. She had no idea how anyone was getting a second black key unless they paid the dealer to program another one. However, she said there is also supposed to be a black chip, not a key, with limited function. I did not get that. Here is her email below. So I repeat my question to those in the U.S. who have taken delivery: what exactly are you getting in the way of keys?

Thank you for contacting Volvo Car USA. We appreciate your inquiry and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with your vehicle. To recap our phone conversation, a few points we went over were as follows:

1. Keys - 2021 vehicles come equipped with 3 keys - an orange Care key, a traditional black key and a key chip (sports/valet key).
  2. Vehicle features - a few features may not currently be available on your vehicle. These include the Volvo On Call app, Smart Phone Integration - Apple Car Play, Sirius XM. These features will be available later in 2021 as a software update.
  3. We have included a downloadable rebate coupon if you choose to have a dealer program an additional traditional black key for your wife. Please keep copies of all of your paperwork and follow the instructions on the rebate form.

The orange Care Key is a new feature to 2021 Volvo vehicles. To set up the speed limiter, you can change maximum speed for a Care Key via the center display:

#20 ·
I would say the Customer Care rep with the note above - is confusing models and details of issues. Chris the person that works for Volvo cars has noted above in a very detailed fashion - two regular black keys and one Orange key - sport key is no longer available. That is exactly what all us Canadian customers have been getting from our dealers when we take delivery - not sure why the US would be any different. In fact as noted above some US customers were getting that too - must be a dealer issue.

#22 ·
My wife is always sad about the drab colours of things, so she was very excited by the orange key. Then the dealer pointed out it wasn’t quite like the black keys. We now have the fun situation where she changed the shells from the keys so that hers could be orange. So if anyone is wondering if that is possible, my wife is happy with the results.

I pretty much immediately pulled out the label maker and labeled the care key.

#26 ·
I got two black keys and the dealer kept the orange key when I took delivery.

I recently received a letter from Volvo about Service Action A10091 regarding the Care Key. The letter explained that the dealer would do a total software update and I would receive the key that the dealer kept. I received the key and software update, but nothing changed. I cannot access any menu that lets me do anything related to the Care Key. The manual explains how to access settings to set a speed limit, but either the manual is wrong or the software update didn't do what was expected. My dealer opened a ticket with Volvo support.

I love driving the car, but Volvo should have never released them for sale until all of the software functionality was done. I can see myself spending a lot of time at the dealer over the next few months as every incremental update is released.

#27 ·
I think the dealers were not meant to keep the orange keys. Many did not. A few did. The care key does not have its enhanced functionality yet but it still works as a key.

What we need is the ota to work then the updates can happen at home.

Anyone remember why europe got ota but USA did not? What’s the eta on ota at the moment?

#29 ·
I get mixed stories. I was getting a Thunder Grey P8 from over 250 miles away, when I asked about the 3 keys he texted me a pic of 3 keys. I located a Bursting Blue, my preference, and that dealer tells me only 2 keys with that car, one black, one orange. Volvo needs to deal with this, what a mess they created with this, how stupid are they. Really, the orange key should be a dealer option. We are new Volvo customers need not impressed by the company. I will say this, call Volvo and complain they will send you a 30% off on accessories. At least we will get some of this back. I took the opportunity to order mud flaps as well to help get some of that cost back.

#32 ·
Well one P8 I was looking at the dealer sent me a pic of 3 keys, 2 black and 1 orgae. My P8 I actually bought has 2 keys, 1 black and 1 orange. Tring to pair VOC it complains all 3 keys need to be in the car.

#33 ·
What I found odd is when I went and connected my car profile to the key it said it connected to key 2, WTF, where is key 1? I called Volvo about this crap they sent me standard 30% off accessories up to $200. I am going to dealer Saturday going to ask about the $1000 on P8 to see if they will give that to me. Issue is I got car out of state, will see what local dealer does.

#34 ·
Here is a better question. Have you opened your keys and made sure the physical key is in the Fob. I received only 2 keys, black and orange. Black key ironically when I connect it to the profile in the car says Key 2 connected and it does NOT have a physical key inside the fob. Wife had same thing 2 keys, Orange and black and the black did not have the physical key, but the orange did. Wow my opinion of volvo is diminishing every day.

#35 ·
I dropped my phob at one point and a key exploded out.

How do I get them open properly. There is a catch but it does not seem to release anything. I am sure I could get it open but it might never be the same.

I wonder if someone dropped your and list the physical key. It would of been really easy to miss the key when I dropped it :(

Okay got it open. Press and slide for the win.
Both black keys have mechanical key babies. The orange does not.

So your orange key had a physical but not your black.

Interesting.

#36 ·
Yes, both cars T5 and P8 had physical key in the orange fob and nothing in the black fob. Ironically I had a second black key made and they put a new physicals key in that fob. Evidently the keys are cut to the vin.

To open the font, turn the fob Volvo log up, and latch toward you. Hold the bottom part of the key as the Volvo logo side slides off. Press the latch and slide the logo side away from you.

#39 ·
OK, been working with Volvo customer care as I sent a letter to their CEO complaining of this key mess. They confirmed the Recharge should have come with 3 keys, but the normal XC40 only comes with a black and orange key. They are working with my dealer to cover my second key and as good faith reimbursing me for the second key we purchased for my wife's T5. They still are not sure why the black fobs were missing the blade key inside.

#40 ·
One more data point, since I looked further last night after reading about missing metal keys.

Mine came with the three key/fobs - two black, one orange. There was nothing I needed to say or do. They were all on the same wire loop and I saw other cars' keys too, all three on the loop.

Both black key/fobs have metal keys inside, and the orange one did not, but that makes some sense to me as I see it as a valet key, once the Care Key support settles out.

#42 ·
I got email from "Volvo Recharge Drivers Connect", essentially a Volvo-sponsored (?) forum for the P8, so, "what the heck." I signed on.

There's a thread there about keys too and some language saying that dealers were instructed to hold back the Care Key until the software support for it was enabled. And that others were told by their dealer "it doesn't do anything yet, keep it safe somewhere".

So, yeah, there seems to be some corporate->dealer communication confusion going on. I'm pretty much the only one driving mine, so the second black fob and the orange fob are in a drawer for posterity.

#43 ·
I got email from "Volvo Recharge Drivers Connect", essentially a Volvo-sponsored (?) forum for the P8, so, "what the heck." I signed on.

There's a thread there about keys too and some language saying that dealers were instructed to hold back the Care Key until the software support for it was enabled. And that others were told by their dealer "it doesn't do anything yet, keep it safe somewhere".

So, yeah, there seems to be some corporate->dealer communication confusion going on. I'm pretty much the only one driving mine, so the second black fob and the orange fob are in a drawer for posterity.

What is that url?

The orange key works the car, it just does not work in the limitations you can put on that key. Until we got the second key for the wife's XC40 I was using that, you just can save profiles and make many settings changes.

#44 ·
The URL in the email appears to be tied to my account, but you can probably go to:

... and get somewhere with it. NOTE!!! They say right in the email that it's about "online research" primarily, so it asks for survey info, and accept/decline on sharing information.

If this bothers you, then I'd suggest not signing on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.