Volvo XC40 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Sooo not getting 1.7 for a while.

We should have a thread for each upgrade the equivalent to Forbes should I upgrade my iOS :)

Thankyou for all the brave folks (or unlucky if not their choice) who got this update.

As stated in a few other threads, it is good to edit your sig to have the car information my sig has (or something like it) it gives context to any questions asked and makes it easier to see trends.

Good luck with the update.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
39 Posts
Ok could be a coincidence, but I took my car in to get an update because of some software bugs (GPS/LTE modem randomly stops working), and they said the update failed. They spent 6 days troubleshooting and ended up ordering a new onboard charger. Waiting on that to be delivered and installed now.
I had the LTE connection go out a few days after I took delivery. I tried all the reset methods to no avail, but letting the car sit for a day undriven and not charging, it returned with no explanation and it hasn't gone out since.

Were you having any charging issues before the update? My car would more often than not fail to charge at public chargers and at home the charger would click on and off during the first few minutes after being plugged in but eventually it would charge normally. Never got any error messages until after the 1.7 update when the car refused to charge at all at home. I didn't try at a public charger but I assume the dealer verified it wouldn't charge on their charger either.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
39 Posts
Would either of you mind sharing your vehicle build date?
I wonder if they changed the rev of the onboard charger and mistakenly matched the wrong version needed for that subcomponent - causing it to be bricked.
I won't get my car back until next week at the earliest. Can you get the build date from the VIN?

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
156 Posts
The VIN can also work to see how close each of your vehicles were built.
For example, the last 6-digits of my VIN are 5419xx. It was built in January 2021 as noted in my signature.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
mine is 5685xx built 3/21

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
156 Posts
Thank you, not too far away. 5691xx is probably 3/21 or early 4/21. It would be interesting to know @jasdata's mfg date or VIN.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Mine is 5733xx and it is a 3/21 build

·
Registered
7 Posts
I figured I’d start a thread for those of us who have updated to 1.7 so that we can report on the changes, the good, the bad, the expectations for 1.8, etc.

Here are my comments:

I visited my Volvo dealer yesterday (10/06) and was updated to 1.7. It took about an hour. I waited at the dealership and helped the manager set up his Recharge/iPhone so that he could receive/send voice texts! So far:

SiriusXM works (US only)! You can choose your favorite channels, but you cannot edit the order - they appear under the Favorites tab in channel number order. Not a big deal - probably will be updated later. The channel logos are a bit on the low resolution side. Again, not a big deal - most of us will likely have the Google map on the display or the new Range Assistant. I do wish the Google AAOS would adopt from Sensus the ability to view your media in the center fo the display behind the steering wheel. That way, you can have your Google map (or something other than your media) on the center display, but still see your media information - this is especially true with SiriusXM or regular radio so that you can see the name of the artist/song. Not a Recharge killer, but just a nice feature (especially if you are used to having it - we’ve had Volvos for many years, and have 2 others besides my Recharge).

Range Assistant was added to the home page. Pretty cool - shows you how your speed, driving style, and climate affect your efficiency. Driving to work today, my estimated range was 230. My drive to work is 15.7 miles each way. In the morning, it’s about 80% highway and 20% city (very little traffic at 6AM, so the one-lane road next to the C&O Canal is more like a highway - about 50 MPH at that time of day).

Range has improved. Very consistently, my charge drops 7% each way to/from work, even though the ride home has more stop/go traffic. When I get to work it is 83% and when I get home, 76%. Today, my drive to work dropped only 5% (as I pulled into the parking garage, it dropped from 86% to 85%. I didn’t drive any differently and didn’t change the climate settings (see pic below - the “search for GPS” pops up because I’m 2 levels below ground). For comparison purposes, I have the 20-inch wheels with all-season tires.

Sun-shade controls. There is supposed to be a change in the sun-shade controls - I haven’t played with it much, but opening/closing works the same, and there are no changes to the menu for the shade (either auto close is toggled on or off).

Volvo app improved? When I got home from the dealer, I plugged in the ChargePoint charger and went inside. I opened the Volvo app about 15 minutes later. The battery percentage displayed in the app was the same as when I got home, but in less than 10 seconds, it updated to the current charge level! It’s too soon to conclude that 1.7 fixes that issue (and it seems that the responsiveness of the app has been inconsistent among users). But, it seemed to do what it should do. We shall see.

View attachment 1388
Supposedly, my XC-40 updated via OTA and the settings say I've received the 1.7 update. But I'm not seeing any of these changes/improvements, including the addition of Sirius/XM. Should that now be an audio app I download into the car or is it something that should just show up?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
You should have XM and a Range app if the full 1.7 was done. If you go into software and pick updates, does it say you are up to date and say you are version 1.7?

Curious to see the manufacturers that are later to the EV market is it becasue they spent more time developing and refining, of just fell asleep at the wheel?

Spent time reading ID.4 forums last night and I don't see near the issues with software that we have. They do have their share of mechanical issues with parts needing to come from VW Germany.

If the Audi Q4 only came in Typhoon Gray 2 tone with those bronze wheels in the US, I would put a deposit on one.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Supposedly, my XC-40 updated via OTA and the settings say I've received the 1.7 update. But I'm not seeing any of these changes/improvements, including the addition of Sirius/XM. Should that now be an audio app I download into the car or is it something that should just show up?
What in the settings are saying you have 1.7?
As far as I know there are no 1.7 ota’s

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry to hear folks are having some issues. The lack of XMRadio and spurious rear Autobraking are big issues with my wife, so we’re rolling the dice and having the update installed as I type this at the dealer. Hopefully as is usual with online forums, the vast majority of experiences are normal, the highly visible issues are the outliers. I’ll report back!

·
Registered
336 Posts
So the update has likely downloaded to your car - but now you have to install it - the main screen will tell you in notifications that it has been downloaded and then you must install - swipe down on the bar at the top of the main screen and you will have the notification it has been downloaded then follow the instructions.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sorry to hear folks are having some issues. The lack of XMRadio and spurious rear Autobraking are big issues with my wife, so we’re rolling the dice and having the update installed as I type this at the dealer. Hopefully as is usual with online forums, the vast majority of experiences are normal, the highly visible issues are the outliers. I’ll report back!
Yes it would be good to hear on the results of the install - I have an appointment for tomorrow morning (10/15) to have it installed as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive been seeing various reports of onboard charger board replacements post update. That has me concerned the update is causing some issues. Not sure if I want to get into 1.7 haha

·
Registered
34 Posts
Took about an hour for the dealer to do the update. Came out to the car and checked the software update screen, it shows 1.7. The Sirius XM App is now in the audio section, and I have the range app as well. All seemed to work well on the 30 mile drive home, no glitches, lags or anything unusual. Google doesn’t seem to recognize that SiriusXM app exists, you ask to change to Channel 36, for example, and it just replies that the Sirius app needs to be installed. But it is, and I’m listening to it! Oh well, baby steps.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Honestly 1.7 for me has been a disaster. I have had to reboot IHU 3 times int he week I have had the car back. I only used the car 4 days, so 3 out of 8 trips IHU was a mess. First was the screen rendering issues, reboot fixed. Then the IHU would not get GPS or LTE signal for 30 minutes of driving until I got home and rebooted. Then today, while it had a GPS signal and LTE signal every time I asked Google to call my wife it would sit and eventually complain the Internet was not stable or weak, even though the LTE indicator was full strength.I know Volvo gave me $750 gift card and is sending me 2 monthly payments, but really when you have to wonder what in the car may not work on every trip? Not to mention the risk of me trying to juggle my cell to capture videos while driving. I am ready to put a Q4 on order as a backup plan and if this stuff is still going on when the Q4 is ready to ship, then I will send in the lemon law papers. Really sucks as I know I like this car more than the Q4 without even driving it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Honestly 1.7 for me has been a disaster. I have had to reboot IHU 3 times int he week I have had the car back. I only used the car 4 days, so 3 out of 8 trips IHU was a mess. First was the screen rendering issues, reboot fixed. Then the IHU would not get GPS or LTE signal for 30 minutes of driving until I got home and rebooted. Then today, while it had a GPS signal and LTE signal every time I asked Google to call my wife it would sit and eventually complain the Internet was not stable or weak, even though the LTE indicator was full strength.I know Volvo gave me $750 gift card and is sending me 2 monthly payments, but really when you have to wonder what in the car may not work on every trip? Not to mention the risk of me trying to juggle my cell to capture videos while driving. I am ready to put a Q4 on order as a backup plan and if this stuff is still going on when the Q4 is ready to ship, then I will send in the lemon law papers. Really sucks as I know I like this car more than the Q4 without even driving it.
Man I think you just need to acknowledge that you have a lemon. Volvo is not going to help you fix all these issues. They are fairly useless in my experience. I think you just need to accept it at this point and move on. I have not had any of your major issues. I have had Google assistant say it doesn't have connection a few times. Honestly I just chalked this up to an Android quirk. The LTE symbol on my pixel does not seem very accurate depending on my location and sometimes says I have connection when I don't. Some of these things are android quirks and some Volvo issues but my point is the dealerships are not smart enough or knowledgeable enough to fix your larger issues. Is the car worth the amount of your time it has wasted?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Yeah I sent dealer an email saying I need a plan for the new issues in a few days of will send Volvo the lemon law papers. I do have a reason for dragging this out a little. One being I want an iron clad case with tines of videos and evidence.

Reactions: mike1234
61 - 80 of 179 Posts