Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
It is like any other software rollout, everyone wants Win 11 to show up in their upgrades, but it takes time. I don’t blame dealers for not wanting to do the upgrades. My dealer is great, but I have only asked them to do software when the car was in for other issues. It is not hard to complain about various IHU issues and see if they do the update.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Volvos ota is more like ota alpha still :(

However I very much prefer caution over bricked cars or major problems.

Hoping it becomes a full ota soon especially as 1.7 looks so nice.

Reactions: shawkinaw

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
240 Posts
I emailed Bill Casey, Head of Support Operations for Volvo Americas regarding the roll out of OTA update 1.7. Here is the response on his behalf. [for text of the response see post #19]
I’ve been trading email with New Jersey Customer Care about OTA in general and update version 1.7 specifically. The bottom line is:
  • A lucky 100 US owners received update 1.7 (public beta testers)
  • US specification vehicles should get the update by the end of October
  • This is supposed to be the first OTA update
  • VC is rolling out OTA slowly so it doesn’t brick vehicles
  • Canada owners ??? ( Ironically, I initiated the request using a form on the Canada support website after I used a link on the US support site. It was forwarded to CC in New Jersey)
Here’s the last email I received where the VC rep gets honest. (I apologize for the poor quality of the email, but this is the way I received it.)
Water Rectangle Font Circle Number

The relevant text:
The update was tested and verified but to avoid any possibility of software not operating as expected we performed the first round of updates to a select 100 XC40 Recharge customers. These customers were notified by e-mail prior to the update as you are aware. There was no availability of updates 3 months ago, however, this process did begin approximately 2-3 weeks ago. As this is our first vehicle OTA updates we are rolling them out slowly. The last thing we would want would be for our customers to receive software that did not operate as intended and be stranded or needing service on their vehicle. Prior to releasing the OTA update to the first 100 customers our technical teams tested our own vehicles to be sure the update received did not show any signs of failure. I contacted our team today and received a response just a few minutes ago that US specification vehicles will have the OTA by the end of October. If your vehicle does not receive this update please let me know.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Oh, I realize that someone is paying for it - but you keep customers in the long run by eating some costs - it’s an investment in your customers…and for us, it’s meant buying from the same dealer for 18 years.
Let me just be clear, 99% of the 80+ cars that I’ve owned have had great experiences. This is our first Volvo, so I am not a repeat client for them. Just so you get that part of it. Additionally, this is a new product for Volvo (BEV). And on top of that, you are also talking 2x different arms of the same company. Though that is why the owner (family member) of the franchise called me.

What ends up being a sticking point here is that these cars wont have much go wrong, and many of them new are leased. And Volvo dealers don’t understand the tech or know what ot expect, but they know they wont get money for oil changes, and carbon cleanings, and fuel filters, and things like that. Most dealers make at least 50% (if not more) of their revenue from the service side of things. They want you to buy a new car, sure — but they will make a good portion from you bringing the car in even for warranty items.

I think we will see a shift/change here. But Volvo and most mfgs realize this. Volvo has moved to online sales model, you can now order your C40/XC40 online, and they do this because at the end of the day, they want to streamline process and take out the middle man a bit. Volvo dealers might not go away, but i am sure many of them feel slighted by this move from corporate. But its the new world, and Volvo more than other brands seems ot be trying hard to adapt. Kudos to them.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
96 Posts
When Apple can provide a free over-the-air update for millions of iPhones at one time, why can't Volvo do it for a few thousand cars? I don't understand..

·
Registered
46 Posts
When Apple can provide a free over-the-air update for millions of iPhones at one time, why can't Volvo do it for a few thousand cars? I don't understand..
To be fair, the first iphone came out in 2007, so they have ~14 years of experience doing OTA updates. Plus they built an OS and fully understand how to do software updates. Volvos only 10 months in.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I am hoping they will do so at some point. Would love to say soon but that would be too optimistic.

You did say like Apple? Do you remember the dumpster fire which have been some of the Apple’s releases? I would rather have safety over haste.

That said as these car do not need services the way Ice vehicles do and we did expect ota sooner rather than the later we are experiencing I think Volvo corroborate should pay for software updates until ota is working properly.

·
Registered
2021 P8
37 Posts
As others have said, they've been doing it for 14 years. The first few iPhones had to have software updates applied by plugging your phone into the computer and doing it via iTunes. IIRC, it wasn't until iOS 5 that you could do it without a computer...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well for one thing - a bug in an iPhone update is far less likely to kill you, or disable your sole means of transportation.

While I also wish Volvo would hurry up - I can't blame them for being extremely cautious with a brand-new platform, and a brand-new operating system. A botched update that bricks cars could destroy their company reputation.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
148 Posts
I had my update 1.7 done at dealer today, they warned me it was a big update and probably 1 1/2 hrs, anyway the first update failed so they reset battery and talked to Volvo hdqts and then tried it again successfully.
I now have 1 August Android security and 13 Aug kernal version

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I had my update 1.7 done at dealer today, they warned me it was a big update and probably 1 1/2 hrs, anyway the first update failed so they reset battery and talked to Volvo hdqts and then tried it again successfully.
I now have 1 August Android security and 13 Aug kernal version
Great information.

It is Interesting that it failed once and they had to retry. I wonder how that would look if it was an ota update of the same build? Would it:
Be bricked
Contact hq itself through software and try again
Need towing to the dealer
Revert to the previous state

Glad it all worked out.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
148 Posts
Great information.

It is Interesting that it failed once and they had to retry. I wonder how that would look if it was an ota update of the same build? Would it:
Be bricked
Contact hq itself through software and try again
Need towing to the dealer
Revert to the previous state

Glad it all worked out.
Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking and also probably why they haven't released it to OTA yet.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
36 Posts
I bought my MY21 Recharge on Monday. Dropped the car off at the dealer on Thursday morning to have the trailer hitch installed. They offered to update the software, too, and I accepted the offer. Boy am I glad that I did! The car wasn't ready until Friday morning. Reading the work order is like a tech support update from ****:

perform pds software as part of delivery service​
software failed to load into vehicle​
perform software download​
perform additional download​
ihu reload​
software control module downloading​
software failed to load into vehicle notj
software failed to load and lost communication with ihu. fault trace with vida. reloaded vgm and ihu. performed battery reset​

I am so so glad that someone else suffered this pain and not me!

Anyway, now that I have 1.7, the car seems to work fine. The range app is cool. I don't know whether the range increased because I didn't have the car long enough with the previous version. XM radio doesn't excite me. I have had it available in the last several cars that I owned and didn't think that it was worth the subscription fee.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I bought my MY21 Recharge on Monday. Dropped the car off at the dealer on Thursday morning to have the trailer hitch installed. They offered to update the software, too, and I accepted the offer. Boy am I glad that I did! The car wasn't ready until Friday morning. Reading the work order is like a tech support update from ****:

perform pds software as part of delivery service​
software failed to load into vehicle​
perform software download​
perform additional download​
ihu reload​
software control module downloading​
software failed to load into vehicle notj
software failed to load and lost communication with ihu. fault trace with vida. reloaded vgm and ihu. performed battery reset​

I am so so glad that someone else suffered this pain and not me!

Anyway, now that I have 1.7, the car seems to work fine. The range app is cool. I don't know whether the range increased because I didn't have the car long enough with the previous version. XM radio doesn't excite me. I have had it available in the last several cars that I owned and didn't think that it was worth the subscription fee.
It fascinates me how software fails to load on these sometimes. I guess I have gotten used to software working on my home computers. Feels like the P8 had one foot in the future and one foot in the passed :)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
My wife was more excited about XM Thani am as I have Spotify that is working great. I need to try YT Music, but that was a mess 2 months ago, would never remember where I left off in play list, always started alphabetically and just a waste. Spotify has been great, after a battery rest and software updated to 1.7 Spotify picked up right where I left off when I dropped the car a week ago. I found a free 3 month trial via PayPal then bought myself and annual gift car for $99 so for $99 I have 15 months, well worth it over the YTM frustration. You would think Google could get their own app to work on their own OS.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have been using SiriusXM in my 2008 Honda Element the last 12 years or so, but since I got the P8, I have gotten used to the Free Radio app. Might not need XM anymore, except where there is no cellular coverage. As far as 1.7 otherwise, the efficiency improvement will be welcome. Is the Pilot Assist new? I haven’t noticed it before. I am looking forward to testing it further. Volvo Cars app still doesn’t connect to the car, though.

21 - 40 of 239 Posts