Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I’d start a thread for those of us who have updated to 1.7 so that we can report on the changes, the good, the bad, the expectations for 1.8, etc.

Here are my comments:

I visited my Volvo dealer yesterday (10/06) and was updated to 1.7. It took about an hour. I waited at the dealership and helped the manager set up his Recharge/iPhone so that he could receive/send voice texts! So far:

SiriusXM works (US only)! You can choose your favorite channels, but you cannot edit the order - they appear under the Favorites tab in channel number order. Not a big deal - probably will be updated later. The channel logos are a bit on the low resolution side. Again, not a big deal - most of us will likely have the Google map on the display or the new Range Assistant. I do wish the Google AAOS would adopt from Sensus the ability to view your media in the center fo the display behind the steering wheel. That way, you can have your Google map (or something other than your media) on the center display, but still see your media information - this is especially true with SiriusXM or regular radio so that you can see the name of the artist/song. Not a Recharge killer, but just a nice feature (especially if you are used to having it - we’ve had Volvos for many years, and have 2 others besides my Recharge).

Range Assistant was added to the home page. Pretty cool - shows you how your speed, driving style, and climate affect your efficiency. Driving to work today, my estimated range was 230. My drive to work is 15.7 miles each way. In the morning, it’s about 80% highway and 20% city (very little traffic at 6AM, so the one-lane road next to the C&O Canal is more like a highway - about 50 MPH at that time of day).

Range has improved. Very consistently, my charge drops 7% each way to/from work, even though the ride home has more stop/go traffic. When I get to work it is 83% and when I get home, 76%. Today, my drive to work dropped only 5% (as I pulled into the parking garage, it dropped from 86% to 85%. I didn’t drive any differently and didn’t change the climate settings (see pic below - the “search for GPS” pops up because I’m 2 levels below ground). For comparison purposes, I have the 20-inch wheels with all-season tires.

Sun-shade controls. There is supposed to be a change in the sun-shade controls - I haven’t played with it much, but opening/closing works the same, and there are no changes to the menu for the shade (either auto close is toggled on or off).

Volvo app improved? When I got home from the dealer, I plugged in the ChargePoint charger and went inside. I opened the Volvo app about 15 minutes later. The battery percentage displayed in the app was the same as when I got home, but in less than 10 seconds, it updated to the current charge level! It’s too soon to conclude that 1.7 fixes that issue (and it seems that the responsiveness of the app has been inconsistent among users). But, it seemed to do what it should do. We shall see.

Map Font Display device Electric blue Slope

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thank you for sharing! We’re excited to get v1.7 but my wife isn’t motivated to visit a dealer … the one dealer wants to charge us $$ to update … so we shall wait and hope for OTA …

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Thanks for the information.

It really does look like the first actual update.

Has anyone gotten it via ota or is a dealer visit needed? This actually looks worth a dealer visit :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for sharing! We’re excited to get v1.7 but my wife isn’t motivated to visit a dealer … the one dealer wants to charge us $$ to update … so we shall wait and hope for OTA …
That’s BS - I’d call another dealer (if one is close) or tell the manager that charging for an update that includes safety features is irresponsible and not something Volvo corporate would be happy to hear about…

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information.

It really does look like the first actual update.

Has anyone gotten it via ota or is a dealer visit needed? This actually looks worth a dealer visit :)
I have not been invited to the OTA world - some have said that OTA will be rolled out to everyone by year’s end - not sure how accurate it is. It was an hour at the dealer - I listened to some music and responded to some emails - worth they hour!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
How much do they want? And that does sound like bs on their part!

Reactions: DudeDad

·
Registered
22 Posts
That’s BS - I’d call another dealer (if one is close) or tell the manager that charging for an update that includes safety features is irresponsible and not something Volvo corporate would be happy to hear about…
@DudeDad - my dealer in MD has flat out refused to do any software updates. The other one I talked to offered to do it for $$$ like @arijaycomet indicated. Curious which dealer you use in MD, how you requested it (it's not an option on the maintenance websites that I've seen), and how close they are to me :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much do they want? And that does sound like bs on their part!
I understand that there is a cost involved for them to do this, at least in terms of time. But they hook up the car and start the download, then the verify it an hour later. If they charged a nominal fee ($30), then that’s not so bad because it did take time for someone (labor). Of course, there’s also good will with the customer. Knowing that OTAs are coming for everyone, and possibility by the end of the year, a smart dealer says “hey, we have to charge for these updates, but since OTAs are coming, I’ll do this as a courtesy.” The good will the dealer earns far outweighs what they would charge for the minimal labor involved. I’ve been going to my dealer since we bought our 2004 XC90 in 2003 - they have always taken the good will route, which is why we own 3 Volvos and have been going there for so long. They bend over backwards for us - that’s why the investment in good will is important. Any dealer who doesn’t see that should be avoided.

·
Registered
170 Posts
@DudeDad and @SeattleCat -- we got the first update (June? whatever it was) a few months after we got the car. We got the sales department involved, and they covered the cost for the install/SW update. However, the service manager said that unless it was fixing an error/bug that the car was going to have OTA updates, and any updates done at the SC would cost $$/hr (whatever the hourly rate might be). Since a few people have noted these updates are as long as two hours to install, and I think they bill around $100/hr +/- (typical of most European brands) that would be potentially a $200 service matter.

We did reach out to another SC who did sound more interested or willing to do the work. They said it would not cost money, but that is what a writer said "over the phone" and we've never tested it out. There are 2x dealers equal distance (about a 30min drive) from home. But again my wife's attitude (XC40 P8 is her car) is that the "car works fine" and the features on the v1.7 update "wont impact her greatly enough" to justify her taking the time out of her day. NO worries-- and I'm really acutally equally curious to see how soon and how "good" the OTA update goes, considering we've owned 12x diff Tesla products; so I do want to see this "work" too --

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@DudeDad - my dealer in MD has flat out refused to do any software updates. The other one I talked to offered to do it for $$$ like @arijaycomet indicated. Curious which dealer you use in MD, how you requested it (it's not an option on the maintenance websites that I've seen), and how close they are to me :)
I have a great relationship with my dealer - we’ve been going there since 2003 (bought our first Volvo, a 2004 XC90), and own two XC60s in addition to my Recharge. There is great good will between us, and because of the mutual loyalty, they always take care of me. I know the manager rather well, and we’ve had these discussions about taking care of customers and they return. I deal with DarCars Volvo in Rockville. If you are willing to drive there (not sure where you are), I can reach out to another person there to see if they could schedule an appointment and whether they would charge you for it. You can email me at [email protected] - happy to help. If you do go there, it looks like a demilitarized zone - major makeover underway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@DudeDad and @SeattleCat -- we got the first update (June? whatever it was) a few months after we got the car. We got the sales department involved, and they covered the cost for the install/SW update. However, the service manager said that unless it was fixing an error/bug that the car was going to have OTA updates, and any updates done at the SC would cost $$/hr (whatever the hourly rate might be). Since a few people have noted these updates are as long as two hours to install, and I think they bill around $100/hr +/- (typical of most European brands) that would be potentially a $200 service matter.

We did reach out to another SC who did sound more interested or willing to do the work. They said it would not cost money, but that is what a writer said "over the phone" and we've never tested it out. There are 2x dealers equal distance (about a 30min drive) from home. But again my wife's attitude (XC40 P8 is her car) is that the "car works fine" and the features on the v1.7 update "wont impact her greatly enough" to justify her taking the time out of her day. NO worries-- and I'm really acutally equally curious to see how soon and how "good" the OTA update goes, considering we've owned 12x diff Tesla products; so I do want to see this "work" too --
If the rumors that OTAs will be available to all by the year’s end, and your wife is happy as is, I would just wait another month or so. Another option is to see if your manager can try to get you in the OTA program early (probably not, but doesn’t hurt to ask). Or, reach out to Customer Care, explain that you know people who are in the OTA program and ask if you could be included because your dealership is 30+ miles away, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a great relationship with my dealer - we’ve been going there since 2003 (bought our first Volvo, a 2004 XC90), and own two XC60s in addition to my Recharge. There is great good will between us, and because of the mutual loyalty, they always take care of me. I know the manager rather well, and we’ve had these discussions about taking care of customers and they return. I deal with DarCars Volvo in Rockville. If you are willing to drive there (not sure where you are), I can reach out to another person there to see if they could schedule an appointment and whether they would charge you for it. You can email me at [email protected] - happy to help. If you do go there, it looks like a demilitarized zone - major makeover underway.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
170 Posts
If the rumors that OTAs will be available to all by the year’s end, and your wife is happy as is, I would just wait another month or so. Another option is to see if your manager can try to get you in the OTA program early (probably not, but doesn’t hurt to ask). Or, reach out to Customer Care, explain that you know people who are in the OTA program and ask if you could be included because your dealership is 30+ miles away, etc.
That made me actually laugh out loud. Clearly your local dealership is "hip" -- and must have sold a lot of P8 and be aware of the OTA updates, etc. And "in the know" ....

My local dealership didn't even know there was "an update" let alone 2x updates since we got our car 6+ months ago. My service manager didn't even know they were doing OTA updates until I told him. We had been in for a service issue and he was adamant there WERE no updates -- his computer system made no mention of any. Thanks to these forums, I assured him there was; and sure enough once tech plugged in, there was an update to be had. Still, he was rude to my wife, so we wont be returning to that service center (the owner's son, who I went to HS with, even called me the next day to apologize but agreed that it may be best for us to get our car serviced elsewhere; he was going to "deal" with the individual, but I doubt he was going to fire said person so.......)

With that said, there are other Volvo service centers in the area. But calling them doesn't make sense unless my wife actually wanted to drive there. We did call one, a few months ago, after the above noted incident, and the same thing: the service writer was "completely unaware of any updates for the P8" -- but was "happy to take a look" and that it "should PROBABLY be free" (so again, that was not reassuring as we'd be the beta tester for them?). Cleveland, Ohio is not a hot bed of EVs. Most of the local dealers have only gotten a small handful of P8 -- I've only seen 1x other one IRL on the roads.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That made me actually laugh out loud. Clearly your local dealership is "hip" -- and must have sold a lot of P8 and be aware of the OTA updates, etc. And "in the know" ....

My local dealership didn't even know there was "an update" let alone 2x updates since we got our car 6+ months ago. My service manager didn't even know they were doing OTA updates until I told him. We had been in for a service issue and he was adamant there WERE no updates -- his computer system made no mention of any. Thanks to these forums, I assured him there was; and sure enough once tech plugged in, there was an update to be had. Still, he was rude to my wife, so we wont be returning to that service center (the owner's son, who I went to HS with, even called me the next day to apologize but agreed that it may be best for us to get our car serviced elsewhere; he was going to "deal" with the individual, but I doubt he was going to fire said person so.......)

With that said, there are other Volvo service centers in the area. But calling them doesn't make sense unless my wife actually wanted to drive there. We did call one, a few months ago, after the above noted incident, and the same thing: the service writer was "completely unaware of any updates for the P8" -- but was "happy to take a look" and that it "should PROBABLY be free" (so again, that was not reassuring as we'd be the beta tester for them?). Cleveland, Ohio is not a hot bed of EVs. Most of the local dealers have only gotten a small handful of P8 -- I've only seen 1x other one IRL on the roads.
To be fair, I’m not sure mine know about 1.7. I texted the GM, he checked, then asked when I could come in. An hour later, he sent me screen shots of SiriusXM and Range Assistant on his Recharge. So, thanks to the forum, I let him know. It’s all about communication. Many times our admin makes policy changes to for the staff, but they don’t give partners a head’s up, so when the staff comes to us, we just stare.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
…I also think that software updates for EVs will be more common, and these dealerships are still trying to understand EVs. Some are better than others. If I were the GM, I’d want to know about updates before customers, then reach out to the owners….of course, knowing that OTAs are coming, maybe most don’t care since they will not have to do the updates. It’s clear that not even the sales people understand the EVs that well - some do, but some do not.

·
Registered
321 Posts

You mentioned "However, the service manager said that unless it was fixing an error/bug " - might have to work with the sales dept too - Siriusxm was a promised feature when you bought the car - it is now available so they should be giving you what you original bought as part of the purchase price - so it should be done for free - in fact Volvo provided 3 or 6 or 12 months free subscription at time of purchase - so there should be no issue - this is the error of but that the update will fix for you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You mentioned "However, the service manager said that unless it was fixing an error/bug " - might have to work with the sales dept too - Siriusxm was a promised feature when you bought the car - it is now available so they should be giving you what you original bought as part of the purchase price - so it should be done for free - in fact Volvo provided 3 or 6 or 12 months free subscription at time of purchase - so there should be no issue - this is the error of but that the update will fix for you.
Very good point - they should not charge for updating the software that provides a promised feature that wasn’t ready for prime time. Either install it for free or take back the car for lying about it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not sure how things worked for you @DudeDad and @Welland canada recharge --- but in our case we were required to sign a document saying that certain features would be "available at a later date" -- and promised that they would come as a free OTA upgrade. So again, while I "hear" what you're saying -- the service manager's reply was that when the update was ready, we'd get it OTA -- and if we wanted it early via his doing, that costs him $$ (and knowing how dealers work, he is not wrong). For a dealer to spend time paying a tech to update software it still costs the dealer money. Warranty repairs are reimbursed by the MFG (and a lot of paperwork and approval goes into that).

So while what you're saying "makes sense" as a consumer, the fact of the matter is that for that update to occur, SOMEONE has to pay for it. And while the sales department already paid for 1x update for us -- It was told to us that any future updates would be OTA, or at a cost. And again, we (and all P8 buyers at this store; and my understanding having seen others with the same doc on these forums, others signed it too, that showed what features weren't active yet and would come at later date). So its just par for the course. We were provided a vehicle "half baked" so you get what you get.

Just be aware, the dealer doing your "free" updates--- someone is still paying for that-- and if it isnt you, its the dealer, consuming that cost, perhaps in good faith. Volvo USA/Corporate wont reimburse for that, but its possible your dealer is "Fibbing" on some internal docs, providing warranty requests to Volvo corporate, and getting $$ back from them on bogus claims, to write it of, and not have to lose $

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
225 Posts
I emailed Bill Casey, Head of Support Operations for Volvo Americas regarding the roll out of OTA update 1.7. Here is the response on his behalf.
Hello Michael,

My name is Jennifer and I am responding on behalf of Mr. Casey in regard to your recent e-mail. We would like to thank you for your feedback and we do apologize that we are unable to provide you with a more accurate ETA. The OTA software is currently being tested to ensure customer satisfaction once deployment is ready. Rather than provide an ETA which may change due to adjustments that need to be made, and create disappointment among our loyal customers, we have been provided only limited information that the OTA updates should deploy in the next few weeks.

We do understand the frustration this can cause as a Recharge owner and we do sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. As the projected release date gets closer Customer Care will be notified so that we can properly inform customers who may call or e-mail. Our dealerships do receive updates from Volvo as they are released through service bulletins and technical journals. We do have a dedicated social media team monitoring social media channels and often customer concerns are brought to our attention to address. We do our best to provide the most accurate and timely information, unfortunately, it is not always available but we can look into it and follow up as needed. In this case, additional information in regard to the OTA update by VIN is not available. I have reached out on your behalf to the appropriate teams and was provided the same time frame [i.e., "within a few weeks"ˆ] you were previously sent by Antaneya.
My take aways
  • XC40 P8 owners are beta testers (but we knew that -- it's just refreshing to have VC admit it)
  • The OTA process is a work in progress
  • P8 owners need to be more pro active with the VC organization in bringing forward problems/concerns

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure how things worked for you @DudeDad and @Welland canada recharge --- but in our case we were required to sign a document saying that certain features would be "available at a later date" -- and promised that they would come as a free OTA upgrade. So again, while I "hear" what you're saying -- the service manager's reply was that when the update was ready, we'd get it OTA -- and if we wanted it early via his doing, that costs him $$ (and knowing how dealers work, he is not wrong). For a dealer to spend time paying a tech to update software it still costs the dealer money. Warranty repairs are reimbursed by the MFG (and a lot of paperwork and approval goes into that).

So while what you're saying "makes sense" as a consumer, the fact of the matter is that for that update to occur, SOMEONE has to pay for it. And while the sales department already paid for 1x update for us -- It was told to us that any future updates would be OTA, or at a cost. And again, we (and all P8 buyers at this store; and my understanding having seen others with the same doc on these forums, others signed it too, that showed what features weren't active yet and would come at later date). So its just par for the course. We were provided a vehicle "half baked" so you get what you get.

Just be aware, the dealer doing your "free" updates--- someone is still paying for that-- and if it isnt you, its the dealer, consuming that cost, perhaps in good faith. Volvo USA/Corporate wont reimburse for that, but its possible your dealer is "Fibbing" on some internal docs, providing warranty requests to Volvo corporate, and getting $$ back from them on bogus claims, to write it of, and not have to lose $
Oh, I realize that someone is paying for it - but you keep customers in the long run by eating some costs - it’s an investment in your customers…and for us, it’s meant buying from the same dealer for 18 years.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts