• Disappointed

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Very disappointed

Votes: 1 2.3%
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
My current Dealer is so backlog if you try to make an appointment online (yeah good luck getting a person on phone), the next available date is 1.5 months out. When asked what to do for emergency situations, their response was “….our system is having a glitch, it happens sometimes…”. Again that’s an example of why I get insulted like “do I have STUPID on my forehead…” That’s even before the explanation of why you’re taking the car in !
so future visits is with another Dealer downtown …I’ve cut all ties with this one even though it’s the closest from home.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My current Dealer is so backlog if you try to make an appointment online (yeah good luck getting a person on phone), the next available date is 1.5 months out. When asked what to do for emergency situations, their response was “….our system is having a glitch, it happens sometimes…”. Again that’s an example of why I get insulted like “do I have STUPID on my forehead…” That’s even before the explanation of why you’re taking the car in !
so future visits is with another Dealer downtown …I’ve cut all ties with this one even though it’s the closest from home.
The 2 dealers close to me are crazy busy, one never returned my calls, the other I had to call several times. I did engage Volvo to drive the issues so now Volvo is tracking the dealer visit for infotainment. Dealer customer service when you get them or are there they treat you nice, but as far as follow up or follow through worst brand I have dealt with.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm really happy with my purchase now 5 months after taking possession. I was pretty vocal about some complaints at first, mainly the key fiasco and the infotainment system not providing a way for me to play my own mp3s and its failure to provide Pandora as advertised. The key thing has been resolved without cost, and I have my music on my phone now and use bluetooth just fine so those annoyances seem pretty minor now. I'd still like to be able to plug in and play from a USB thumb drive but I rarely listen to Pandora even at home, so all of that just doesn't much matter. I'm learning to appreciate a lot of new features I never knew I wanted and the SUV advantages, including seating height, ground clearance, storage space, and AWD. Power, handling and turn radius make it great for driving and parking. I love the camera system and the moonroof. It had one hiccup in the early days, not starting, but then it started without needing a tow or service and has been reliable ever since. I have a feeling of comfort, safety, and simply enjoy driving now in a way I didn't before. I don't trust the dealer or its service people worth a ****, but if things stay as they are, I won't need to see them for years. Maybe by then they'll actually know something about the car. Volvo Car will be nice when it's fully active, but I don't see it as something I'll use much or really need.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm really happy with my purchase now 5 months after taking possession. I was pretty vocal about some complaints at first, mainly the key fiasco and the infotainment system not providing a way for me to play my own mp3s and its failure to provide Pandora as advertised. The key thing has been resolved without cost, and I have my music on my phone now and use bluetooth just fine so those annoyances seem pretty minor now. I'd still like to be able to plug in and play from a USB thumb drive but I rarely listen to Pandora even at home, so all of that just doesn't much matter. I'm learning to appreciate a lot of new features I never knew I wanted and the SUV advantages, including seating height, ground clearance, storage space, and AWD. Power, handling and turn radius make it great for driving and parking. I love the camera system and the moonroof. It had one hiccup in the early days, not starting, but then it started without needing a tow or service and has been reliable ever since. I have a feeling of comfort, safety, and simply enjoy driving now in a way I didn't before. I don't trust the dealer or its service people worth a ****, but if things stay as they are, I won't need to see them for years. Maybe by then they'll actually know something about the car. Volvo Car will be nice when it's fully active, but I don't see it as something I'll use much or really need.

Your luck, my infortainments has frozen or blobbed on gauge cluster now 3 times in last 5 days. I am sure the dealer will give me a run around when I drop it Monday. I need them to call Volvo and get the unit replaced like others have had done.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8
26 Posts
Our XC40 RECHARGE was delivered 6/26/21 and after 5 days the IHU went bad. Over 4th July weekend we did not have the car. Got it back a week later and had to reprogram EVERYTHING, twice. Its wife's car. We both like it. I drive a Tesla X but the XC40 is smaller and sportier, kind of. BUT with all the problems with missing software and features not working like the SOS button, no GPS & car data being sent yet to Volvo VOC center, I feel like the owners of the first year Teslas. But eventually Elon got the Teslas up and running, really fast. Now if Volvo would only get moving on their promises......

·
Registered
637 Posts
Our XC40 RECHARGE was delivered 6/26/21 and after 5 days the IHU went bad. Over 4th July weekend we did not have the car. Got it back a week later and had to reprogram EVERYTHING, twice. Its wife's car. We both like it. I drive a Tesla X but the XC40 is smaller and sportier, kind of. BUT with all the problems with missing software and features not working like the SOS button, no GPS & car data being sent yet to Volvo VOC center, I feel like the owners of the first year Teslas. But eventually Elon got the Teslas up and running, really fast. Now if Volvo would only get moving on their promises......

That is why I have held off doing a factory reset on the car to see if that fixes VOC. I figure if my IHU is going bad I suspected that would force a total reset. Why set things back up twice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just wanted to follow up on my XC40 Recharge experience so far. Picked up May 21, more than 1000 miles so far.

Volvo App - VOC or as it is now called: Volvo Car
I have not been able to get this to work at all. I have completely reset the car itself several (four, I think) times, as this is the only mechanism to unregister an account and start over again. Following the instructions you provided and also trying recommendations from various websites. The resetting process is very painful, as I lose all settings on the car, including profiles, Google, etc. I would like to use the app to check charge levels at a minimum, but I got nothing still.

Charging
I have had several bad experiences - 1) Tried charging at an EVGo DC charger, and it took about 20 minutes and more than 10 attempts to get it to start the charge. There was an apparent problem with the communication between the EVGo and Volvo and it stopped after less than a second of attempted charging. 2) Volvo-supplied wall charger at 110v failed immediately several times when fully plugged-in. My troubleshooting found that if it failed, I needed to hold it pushed tightly into connector until changing started and then I could release the handle. The 110V issue followed the EVGo problems, so I suspect the physical connection for the CCS port in the Volvo is the problem. I have no problems using the ChargePoint 240v charger I installed in my garage.

I have been consistently charging at home, and only tried commercial chargers twice. One was a miserable experience, so I will do everything in my power to avoid charging outside my home. This could still be the achilles heal of this car - public charging.

Internet Connectivity
On several occasions, I have lost the built-in Internet connnectivity. Usually when starting out as it does not connect fast enough. But on at least trips, it failed during the trip and would not re-establish. As a result, I lost google maps and turn-by-turn directions, Spotify, Google Assistant and more. Only after stopping and leaving the car did Internet connectivity return.

Backup Camera
As I park forward into my garage, I start all of my journeys reversing. About 5 times, I receive a message about the camera not being available and I have to back up without it. Even after stopping and shifting into forward and back into reverse it does not come back within a minute. But after a minute or more, I can again us the reversing camera. But, I can use the 360 view, uses that very same rear-facing camera. So the camera is available and working, but that view in Infotainment is not working.

Emergency Braking
On one occasion, I was driving down a 4-lane road at 40 MPH with no nearby cars or other “obstructions”. The car squealed an alert and braked suddenly on its own. As if there was a stopped car, but there were no other cars in sight in front. After coming to a complete stop, I was able to proceed. Luckily there were no cars behind me, either.

Pilot Assist
I have tried using Pilot Assist, but now am not relying on it for steering. This is a result of it steering directly into a curb and then disabling itself. This was at an intersection on a 2-lane road (Wilson Ln, MD 180). ACC was set at 31 MPH (speed Limit 30 MPH), and in the middle of the intersection, where there are no lane markings, instead of steering straight ahead, turned sharply right, directly towards the corner of the curb. I quickly steered back to the left to miss the curb, but this was scary even at 30 MPH. Looking at the indicator, Pilot Assist was not active for 2-3 seconds after steering into the curb.

One Pedal Drive
I love this, although I think the braking should be configurable. It is especially problematic when disengaging ACC when approaching a red traffic light. Disengaging requires either the ACC button or the brakes. Both of those cause the car to use “maximum” OPD braking, which is the 40% braking for OPD. Passengers HATE this, and it is not the best behavior. The only way to prevent this is to pre-position the accelerator to start accelerating and then press the ACC button to disable. Takes an extra second to begin stopping for a red light. This is a safety issue wrapped in a comfort issue. My wife refuses to use OPD, as the braking is too severe when she lets off accelerator. This all could be fixed by either 1) reduce the braking affect, or 2) change the braking “curve” increasing over time, and based on the how it was activated (e.g. slower for ACC release).

On a related note, I do not know when and if the brake lights are displayed to the car behind under OPD. Give the driver an indication, or at least something on the Regen view on the dashboard (after first tick???)

Gear Lever
There have been few times when parking, where the car has beeped instead of charging gears. After pushing the lever forward, it is still in forward when I hoped it was in reverse. I nearly hit a car when thinking I was going the opposite direction. I understand that it beeped, but rather than putting the car in neutral, it left it in the previous gear, when the car detected that I had tried to change gears and was unable and at a stop (or near stop). This is unsafe!

Orange Key
The Orange Key functionality is not yet here. But setting a speed limit is NOT ENOUGH. We need to have the ability to limit power. If my 17-year old daughter mistakenly floors the car (wrong pedal) while at low speeds, the resulting accident with be horrendous. I have scared myself by accelerating too fast in reverse. Allow me to set the car to, say 50% power, which is still 150 HP and enough for any teenager. Same power as the single motor Polestar 2 and maybe there will be a single motor C40 in the future.

Otherwise I love the car. Range has been fine. Acceleration is great. Interior is fine. Infotainment is usually great, unless it disappears halfway through a 2 hours trip. Driving assistants are hit or miss, so I use the ACC, but not PA.

I have not taken the car in for service, and I hope not to have to. Waiting for OTA update and maybe that will fix some issues. But will degrade the ACC/Pilot Assist based on feature list.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts