Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Very disappointed

Votes: 1 2.3%
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Google tends to crash on the first day. Why? Who knows. But normally not settles down with a couple of reboots.

WiFi. There are rules to get it to work. I do not have WiFi in the condo garage so not solved that yet but others have.

search for it or more likely someone will post a thread or the group info on it.
Good luck. Sorry about the transport mode.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Got home and car won’t see my very strong Wi-Fi signal (but sees my neighbor’s SSID).

This is my third EV, and I realize we have to expect teething pains and early adopter issues, but Volvo seems to be really far from ready to have released this commercially. Fairly certain that OTA updates won’t fix any of this (at least not any time soon) as I just signed an acknowledgment at the dealer that Apple AirPlay won’t show up until 2022.

Never been more disappointed in a car purchase in my life. And when you pay over $60K for the car that should not be the case.
For Wi-Fi find my other posts, but short answer is:

• setup a 2.4ghz SSID
  • set channel’bandwidrh to 20 mhz
  • try channel 1
  • if tou Wi-Fi has a “minimum data rate” setting disable it.
  • set DTIM to 1

I agree, Many have no issues, but those that do it is baffling how Volvo let such a half baked product out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Picked up XC40 Recharge today at my local Volvo dealer. Pulling out of the dealership almost got rear ended because the dealership had not deactivated “Transport” mode - which caps the car’s speed at 18 mph! Limped back to the dealer (hazards on and relying on the awareness of other driver’s during rush hour to not get rear-ended multiple times).

Forty minutes later back on the road … except now the Google info system completely blanks out twice(!!!) on a 15 mile trip. Center console black, map on driver’s display blank. I guess I should count myself fortunate that the speedometer still showed (unlike the other poster’s experience 😡).

Got home and car won’t see my very strong Wi-Fi signal (but sees my neighbor’s SSID).

This is my third EV, and I realize we have to expect teething pains and early adopter issues, but Volvo seems to be really far from ready to have released this commercially. Fairly certain that OTA updates won’t fix any of this (at least not any time soon) as I just signed an acknowledgment at the dealer that Apple AirPlay won’t show up until 2022.

Never been more disappointed in a car purchase in my life. And when you pay over $60K for the car that should not be the case.
What version of the software are you running? Mission critical functions like speedometer and speed functions are on separate computer systems unrelated to the infotainment system.

·
Registered
637 Posts
What version of the software are you running? Mission critical functions like speedometer and speed functions are on separate computer systems unrelated to the infotainment system.
I thought it was still the main Android OS, just that it ran in an isolated VM on the OS?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I thought it was still the main Android OS, just that it ran in an isolated VM on the OS?
It's a RTOS that runs embedded on a separate ECU; which one I have no idea but probably QNX or WindRiver. AAOS is not ISO 26262 compliant and cannot handle any of the ADAS functions.

It could be that all compute is running on the integrated head unit and AAOS is a guest VM under an RTOS hypervisor (Virtualization | Android Open Source Project). I tend to lean towards the ADAS and speed telemetry running on an independent ECU that has the ISO 26262 compliant RTOS. In either case we know that AAOS isn't the host for the RTOS.

In any case we need to start drilling into telemetry and try to enumerate the OS's and ECUs in the car. As soon as someone totals the first P8 let us know so we can dissect it!

·
Registered
72 Posts
"As soon as someone totals the first P8 let us know so we can dissect it!" I agree, so we can figure out why it is so inefficient. Other than that, it is a great vehicle. It meets my requirements body style-wise. It does all the car things excellently, like driving. And radio and GPS and AC are working. The smart phone on wheels aspect is icing on the cake, as far as I am concerned, so I can wait for it, which I knew going in.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
7 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I'll check on the software version and report back. I did pick up the car yesterday and the dealership claimed it was installing the latest version of the software, but based on the "Transport" mode fiasco I'll take that with a grain of salt.

For Wi-Fi find my other posts, but short answer is:

• setup a 2.4ghz SSID
  • set channel’bandwidrh to 20 mhz
  • try channel 1
  • if tou Wi-Fi has a “minimum data rate” setting disable it.
  • set DTIM to 1

I agree, Many have no issues, but those that do it is baffling how Volvo let such a half baked product out.
I did set up a 2.4ghz SSID as a guest network (no spaces :)) but did not mess with the other settings. Will have to try that.

I'll circle back here to report on successes and failures and keep you updated.

·
Registered
637 Posts
"As soon as someone totals the first P8 let us know so we can dissect it!" I agree, so we can figure out why it is so inefficient. Other than that, it is a great vehicle. It meets my requirements body style-wise. It does all the car things excellently, like driving. And radio and GPS and AC are working. The smart phone on wheels aspect is icing on the cake, as far as I am concerned, so I can wait for it, which I knew going in.
I actually enjoy the car, driving it is a blast, my wife and I now compete for best efficiency. She actually had issue getting inpassenge door today. The front door are more twitchy than back doors. Get VOC working and some of the other quirks, add wireless Android Auto and apple Carplay, get XM working and I may become a lover of the car. I have been fortunate to now have (so far) any of the other issues I see people fighting with; blank gauges, freezing/rebooting infotainment, locked brakes and axle issues, etc.

Reactions: mike1234

·
Registered
531 Posts
How Happy ?
  • Driving perspective....wouldn't change a thing
  • Car sticking to the ground (then zooming off within seconds) when pinched between 18-wheelers....worth every penny
  • OPD....making stopping and acceleration a smooth transition even from high/low speed, was surprising
  • Quietness....priceless
  • Simplicity and minimal aspect of instrument panel....eye pleaser, calming outcome
  • Dealership experience....THAT location shouldn't even be granted the license to sell Volvo cars
  • Service Dept experience....100% a joke
  • Sales/Customer support experience at Dealer level....5000% a joke

In short, my hair-pulling frustrations, heated exchange of communication and belittling experiences are definitely Dealer/Service Dept. related, NOT the Car itself. We know there are things in the works and I can live with that, but not the Dealer aspect.

·
Registered
637 Posts
How Happy ?
  • Driving perspective....wouldn't change a thing
  • Car sticking to the ground (then zooming off within seconds) when pinched between 18-wheelers....worth every penny
  • OPD....making stopping and acceleration a smooth transition even from high/low speed, was surprising
  • Quietness....priceless
  • Simplicity and minimal aspect of instrument panel....eye pleaser, calming outcome
  • Dealership experience....THAT location shouldn't even be granted the license to sell Volvo cars
  • Service Dept experience....100% a joke
  • Sales/Customer support experience at Dealer level....5000% a joke

In short, my hair-pulling frustrations, heated exchange of communication and belittling experiences are definitely Dealer/Service Dept. related, NOT the Car itself. We know there are things in the works and I can live with that, but not the Dealer aspect.
I agree, the car, when functional is a joy. My sales experience has been good, especially since my selling dealer is 150 miles away and I posted in that poll all the help they have offered. Volvo customer service is a joke, they have so little info and just point you to th dealer and offer you a 30% off accessories coupon. Dealer service is hit and miss and has no idea how to handle the software in this car.

A thought would have been for Volvo to actually market all the EV's under Polestar and train Polestar specific tech and sales people that know the EVs. I am curious how Polestar owners are making out, they have to have some oaf the same quirks we do as they share a platform an OS.

·
Registered
637 Posts
That is what I expected from a "new" EV maker. Let's hope Volvo steps up sooner than later.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I agree, the car, when functional is a joy. My sales experience has been good, especially since my selling dealer is 150 miles away and I posted in that poll all the help they have offered. Volvo customer service is a joke, they have so little info and just point you to th dealer and offer you a 30% off accessories coupon. Dealer service is hit and miss and has no idea how to handle the software in this car.

A thought would have been for Volvo to actually market all the EV's under Polestar and train Polestar specific tech and sales people that know the EVs. I am curious how Polestar owners are making out, they have to have some oaf the same quirks we do as they share a platform an OS.
Totally agree on the focused Techs and SMEs specifically on EV especially when half of its fleet will be EV/Hybrids by 2025 (if I'm not mistaken). Perhaps Volvo should consider speeding up SHUTTING down brick-mortar Sales offices and OUTSOURE the Service sides -- overall ROI might be higher given to date, EV specifically, Dealers/Service folks are clueless, with only a handful willing to learn or inquire directly with their Volvo engineers. Might as well invest in a true support group of expertise to enhance the overall experience of EV Customres.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Totally agree on the focused Techs and SMEs specifically on EV especially when half of its fleet will be EV/Hybrids by 2025 (if I'm not mistaken). Perhaps Volvo should consider speeding up SHUTTING down brick-mortar Sales offices and OUTSOURE the Service sides -- overall ROI might be higher given to date, EV specifically, Dealers/Service folks are clueless, with only a handful willing to learn or inquire directly with their Volvo engineers. Might as well invest in a true support group of expertise to enhance the overall experience of EV Customres.
Not a fan of them outsourcing, always results in poor service and/or higher cost service. They need to have dealer certifications. x number of tech need to be certified and x sales people and then dealer get a certification that needs to be renewed or verified every 6 months.

Reactions: MMK

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
7 Posts
A few updates/observations after a few more miles:

• My Infotainment system still blanks out with the brilliant colors others have documented on a separate thread. It happens almost every time but does not appear to have any trigger (i,e. not tied to speed, ambient temperature, length of drive, etc.). Probably need a new IHU. Oh well 😡
  • Connecting to Wi-Fi (my system is an ASUS ZenWifi AX mesh) required setting single band systems with SSIDs that include neither spaces nor lower dashes. In other words ASUS_2G_Guest did not work, but ASUS2GGuest worked. The car will detect both 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs with these caveats. And download speeds on 5GHz is much faster (as expected) than the built-in LTE (for those wondering about the value).
  • The car is really fun to drive. I’ve owned (and driven quite a bit) a number of cars. This car ranks third - after a 2019 I Pace HSE and a 2013 Cayman S. Given the price differential and body shape, that‘s absolutely killing it.
  • Adaptive cruise control and lane keep have a hard time going from bright sunshine into a narrow and long tunnel (for those in the Seattle area we are talking morning drive off the I-90 floating bridge - very bright - into the tunnel). Lane keep really blows a fuse (especially because the left line is solid and the right dashed), but other than this particular situation both ACC and LK work as expected.
Good car with horrible software related issues that are compounded by second-sourcing on chips. Here’s hoping that my dealer knows how to handle the head unit issue. Happy to answer any questions. Also, I am on the latest version of the software (the one with only two driver‘s unit layout).

·
Registered
637 Posts
For the infotainment, bring it to dealer, get the issues logged. I know they won't do a thing, but am brining it in Monday to start my records for lemon law.

·
Registered
531 Posts
For the infotainment, bring it to dealer, get the issues logged. I know they won't do a thing, but am brining it in Monday to start my records for lemon law.
So sorry this bad apple had put a bad taste in the overall experience. The lack of experience and knowledge of Services are not helping either - You would think at this point, EVEN IF they're not sure, they would GO AHEAD and do something (more like anything) before the lemons throw more time and effort for all to deal with. I mean they can't simply expect a Customer to "accept it" -- just do something already! Crossing fingers for ya!

·
Registered
637 Posts
So sorry this bad apple had put a bad taste in the overall experience. The lack of experience and knowledge of Services are not helping either - You would think at this point, EVEN IF they're not sure, they would GO AHEAD and do something (more like anything) before the lemons throw more time and effort for all to deal with. I mean they can't simply expect a Customer to "accept it" -- just do something already! Crossing fingers for ya!
Fully agree. And the Volvo answer is "work through dealer" and they refuse to engage customers even though the dealers are clueless. Shame as we like our cars and wife would consider us getting a second P8 or C40, but not the way Volvo is handling this. Local service manager was like "we went through this with Sense" so clearly Volvo does not learn from history.

I will be in the minority, while I like the thought of Google in theory, I think it is a mistake. Google's history at improvements and resolving issues is spotty at best. Talk to anyone that uses YouTube Music, they have bugs that have existed for years. And when Google has numerous car makers asking for stuff, good luck getting the car maker's priority heard. Google's YouTube Video app has been fractured and inconsistent on the various TV/Streamer platforms for years. And factor in that Google controls your future, not you. When Google decides to pivot you pivot with them. All trade offs maker will need to weigh and clearly we know what Volvo decided.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
7 Posts
Have an appointment to take the car in. Already been told that "there is a software update for that" :rolleyes: So we can guess how well that will go. Oh well. Will keep folks updated.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Good luck. Perhaps ask when the next appointment is :p book it and say you will cancel the booking in a day or two if there are no crashes. This assumes the booking is a ways out.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts