Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are driving north from LA to Portland next week and it will be 110 through the Central Valley. Any experience in extreme heat - like performance, range, etc. The car is great around town and this will be its first long road trip.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
261 Posts
Living in Sacramento, I'm wondering too how it'll be. Surely there's some aspects about the battery conditioning system that come into play here. Waiting patiently for new knowledge....

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Good luck. Please let us know. I want to drive out to Death Valley this summer so any information would be great. A) range abs b) ax effects.

Do you have the heat pump?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update - it was 110 plus for most of the trip with bad traffic. Car was great to Sacrament [from LA]. Then the ac disappeared, lane assist and blind spot, bluetooth, cruise control - all gone. No fan. Three + hours to Redding in 110 heat was sure fun. In Portland now and nothing has come back so to a dealer on Monday. Everything crapped out after an Electrify America charge to 90%. The car charged well and drove beautifully. What was usually a 10 hour gas powered drive took 13. Driving with windows open because of nom ac made range estimation irrelevant.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rebooted numerous times as well as doing factory reset several times. Our thought is that something fried in the heat but, as you said, heat protection should be built in. With Swedish ancestors, maybe that's the problem. Or we just got a lemon. The ac did not work when we got delivery May 1 but it was fixed and worked until this trip and fiasco.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
That sounds horrible … and I am planning a long trip from wa through hot bits in a while ….

A couple of questions.

1. Was dealership demo?
2. Was the ac running when you charged to 90 and it all died?
3. Was there any time after the 90 charge that things worked or was it before charge work after charge not work?

Tripping out in the heat is bad but totally frying vs rebootable is so much worse.

I am curious to the timing as it sounds like it happened after a charge. I wonder if there was a charging spike that might of caused damage. I had read if users using Tesla converters that damaged their cars after a charge.

Do you know what sort of electrify charging station it was?

Sorry you had such an awful experience. Hope they find out what caused it.

On a 12k cross America trip on my old Volvo v90 xc ( first gen awd) the ac got taken out by a rock in the middle of the hottest heat wave for a while. Had to dealership it on the trip. Saying this because cars are complex and roads and damaging so hoping it is a simple fix and a problem caused by rng or direct damage vs a design flaw.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sounds horrible … and I am planning a long trip from wa through hot bits in a while ….

A couple of questions.

1. Was dealership demo?
2. Was the ac running when you charged to 90 and it all died?
3. Was there any time after the 90 charge that things worked or was it before charge work after charge not work?

Tripping out in the heat is bad but totally frying vs rebootable is so much worse.

I am curious to the timing as it sounds like it happened after a charge. I wonder if there was a charging spike that might of caused damage. I had read if users using Tesla converters that damaged their cars after a charge.

Do you know what sort of electrify charging station it was?

Sorry you had such an awful experience. Hope they find out what caused it.

On a 12k cross America trip on my old Volvo v90 xc ( first gen awd) the ac got taken out by a rock in the middle of the hottest heat wave for a while. Had to dealership it on the trip. Saying this because cars are complex and roads and damaging so hoping it is a simple fix and a problem caused by rng or direct damage vs a design flaw.
Not a demo and ac running fine before the charge. We had charged at Electrify America previously with no problem. It happened right after the charge in Sacramento. The EA station had the ABB chargers, not signet. A couple of weeks earlier, the ac went out for a short trip in LA but came back after a short rest at home. Took it to our dealer and they could find nothing amiss. A simple fix would be great.
We wonder about a spike from a charge as well. It's going to a local dealer today and hopefully it is repairable. A simple fix would be great.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not a demo and ac running fine before the charge. We had charged at Electrify America previously with no problem. It happened right after the charge in Sacramento. The EA station had the ABB chargers, not signet. A couple of weeks earlier, the ac went out for a short trip in LA but came back after a short rest at home. Took it to our dealer and they could find nothing amiss. A simple fix would be great.
We wonder about a spike from a charge as well. It's going to a local dealer today and hopefully it is repairable. A simple fix would be great.
Are you in LA? What dealer do you use? My AC was doa last Friday when I took delivery. They tried fast charging it at the dealership before I left but had issues with the charger so I’m wondering if my AC issue might be charger related too. Didn’t get a chance to see if any other features stopped working.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you in LA? What dealer do you use? My AC was doa last Friday when I took delivery. They tried fast charging it at the dealership before I left but had issues with the charger so I’m wondering if my AC issue might be charger related too. Didn’t get a chance to see if any other features stopped working.
I'm in Portland now but from Pasadena. Got the car from Rusnak and they've been great - helping from the beginning. My ac was doa when I got delivery May 1. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Was there anytime after charge that the ac worked?

good luck with the dealer. Hopefully they are speedy.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts