Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I unplugged my home charging cable today to use the outlet for a power washer. When I plugged it back in, the white LED ring lights up, then starts flashing red. I've tried a couple different outlets (probably on the same circuit though) and get the same result. I've left it plugged into the wall for a few min and it just keeps flashing red. Any ideas? The car was fully charged (set to 90%) when I disconnected it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I unplugged my home charging cable today to use the outlet for a power washer. When I plugged it back in, the white LED ring lights up, then starts flashing red. I've tried a couple different outlets (probably on the same circuit though) and get the same result. I've left it plugged into the wall for a few min and it just keeps flashing red. Any ideas? The car was fully charged (set to 90%) when I disconnected it.
Here is a link from the manual - Charging status in the charging cable's control module | Charging the high-voltage battery | Starting and driving | XC40 Recharge Pure Electric 2021 | Volvo Support (volvocars.com)

Flashing red lightCharging is not possible.Serious error.First unplug the charging cable from the charging socket and then from the electrical outlet. If the problem persists, contact Volvo Support.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a link from the manual - Charging status in the charging cable's control module | Charging the high-voltage battery | Starting and driving | XC40 Recharge Pure Electric 2021 | Volvo Support (volvocars.com)

Flashing red lightCharging is not possible.Serious error.First unplug the charging cable from the charging socket and then from the electrical outlet. If the problem persists, contact Volvo Support.
Yeah. I was hoping someone may have experienced this and have a solution, or at least know what is causing it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked an outlet with my multimeter. It’s reading 124.6v. I wonder if the cable is unhappy with that? Does anyone know what the tolerances are?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this same experience. I was attempting to use the provided XC40 recharge cable and then add an adapter to use my existing 240V washer outlet.

Upon initial plug in the cable flashed RED. Once I adjusted the in car threshold for current to 24A the charging resumed and the cable returned to its original flashing white. Car charges wonderfully now! Suspect the issue is the cable wants to draw far more amperage than the circuit can handle so its protecting the car and cable from damage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We had NO idea what the different colours meant and thought it was due to the charging limits we imposed 😂

Finally realized the 220 outlet we installed for the XC90 T8 hybrid is not compatible with the 110 head of this new XC40 Recharge...when we plugged it into a regular 110 outlet, the light turned white and we were good (just painfully slow...think it took nearly 2 full days to get our car fully charged. We have an electrician coming next week to install a new outlet so we can fast charge...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts