Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which home charger do you have? Hardwired or plug-in version? How many amps do you usually draw with it? Any other thoughts about it regarding problems, convenience, overall satisfaction, etc.?

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 20", Heat Pump.
78 Posts
I have the free ChargePoint charger hardwired on a 50amp circuit. I am pulling 40amps. I am reasonably happy with the setup. The cable is long enough, not too heavy, and very compliant. The status light is the perfect brightness. I was worried that it was going to be super bright. The overall build quality seems just a little light for something that is mounted outside constantly. Installation was very easy. I do like that it sends me a text message when the car is no longer pulling a charge. Overall a 4.5 out of 5. It would be perfect if it were just a touch more rugged.

·
Registered
493 Posts
+1 on the Chargepoint Home Flex. It's my fourth home-installed EVSE and my favorite. It's hardwired to an older dedicated 40A circuit, so it charges at 32A (80% of breaker amperage per code). Hardwiring is easy for an electrician, and bypasses the possible code-compliance issue of having a non-GFCI 40A or 50A outlet in your garage, depending on the last year your locally-adopted code was updated. I also have a Tesla HPWC on a dedicate 60A andthe charge rate (48A) is fantastic. If I was running a new circuit for a charger, I'd definitely make it 60 amps.

Chargepoint Home Flex and Juicebox typically top the rankings in the USA. I chose the Chargepoint for its lighter cable, as this setup is primarily for use by my wife. The Tesla HWPC cable is like wrestling a big, pressurized hose.

·
Registered
462 Posts

Over the past decade I’ve had a few chargers (hard wired, and NEMA 14-50 outlet style). I’m going to first say that I actually fully recommend the ChargePoint Home Flex unit, as it is a great unit. But like so many units, it is costly. Plus those have been in-and-out of stock a lot lately. So if you want a nice hardwired unit the CPHF is a great unit that I would suggest. I had the older pre-flex unit and it was nice, but it eventually ended up at my office instead of home.

Right now I have the ABOVE (see link at the start of my reply here)— this unit works great. I like having a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage, but then you can wear down the outlet if you are constantly plugging in/out a charger. What I like about this unit is that my home only allows 40A max so this capable works great for me. Note that the cable included with your Volvo can do 48A max, which is what the car allows. So the cable I have linked here is not as powerful as the included cable.

That said, my older (built 1958) home did not have room for 48A draw, so my 14-50 with 40A draw works for me. This cable provides the max 40A that most of my other EVs could handle (some only handle 32A). And realistically, overnight charging, 32A vs 40A vs 48A isn’t often a big delta (what do you care if charging ends at 4am vs 5am vs 6am?)— you’ll still be full when you wake up!

Hope this helps. This unit has worked great for us 9000+ miles on our Volvo, and has also charged a Mini Cooper SE EV, my Jeep Wrangler 4XE PHEV, and my Porsche Taycan Turbo EV. It works great across many cars!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Which home charger do you have? Hardwired or plug-in version? How many amps do you usually draw with it? Any other thoughts about it regarding problems, convenience, overall satisfaction, etc.?
Also have a ChargePoint Flex on a 60A circuit, so we charge at 48A. This is our third EVSE… had a ClipperCreek 32A and then a ChargePoint Home 32A (utility-provided) before upgrading to the Flex (48A, utility-provided). No cost to us to upgrade since the utility provides it for TOU charging. We wanted the 50% faster charging since this car has a bigger battery than our Bolt did.

Reactions: improvius

·
Registered
493 Posts
I forgot to mention why we like 48A charging: we are retired, and often take long trips to the coast etc early in the morning. It's nice to be able to plug in the car when we return after lunch, and have it fully recharge and ready for the rest of the day - before our high 3pm TOU rate kicks in. But practically speaking mid-day home charging is usually not important.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have the Wallbox Pulsar Plus. We needed something sooner when the ChargePoint unit was back ordered over the summer. We have a 40 amp version, although they offer a 48 amp one as well (our circuit is 50 amp). I installed it initially using the 14-50 NEMA plug (not being sure if we would keep it), but we liked it and when the ChargePoint finally arrived we ended up selling it on Craigslist.

The only weird bit is that it wants the NEMA plug in what I consider a less desirable upside-down position (with the grounding pin down) and some of the settings in the phone app aren’t really well explained.

But it has been working very nicely for us, no complaints.

Automotive lighting Electricity Gas Electrical wiring Machine

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the Grizzl-e. Hardwired to a 50amp breaker and set for 40 amps. It is a 'dumb' charger but we don't get special off hour rates at this time so no worries. Has been flawless to date. Very, very heavy duty.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have the Grizzl-e. Hardwired to a 50amp breaker and set for 40 amps. It is a 'dumb' charger but we don't get special off hour rates at this time so no worries.
I just signed us up for a new time-of-use rate plan my electrical utility just launched. Basically 2x normal rate during “peak” (2–6PM), about 0.77x during “super off-peak” (midnight–6AM), and 0.89x all other times.

Don’t know how that peak fee schedule will suit us during summer months (I’m at home many days) but figured we’d give it a try now during the cooler part of the year, and schedule our car charging at night.

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
190 Posts
I also have the Grizzl-e. It may be dumb EVSE, but it is fantastic otherwise -- and half the cost of a Chargepoint Home Flex. My utility company does not discount so a smart EVSE is not needed. It is a very sturdy, robust unit. I'm using it with a 14-50 outlet on a 50A GFCI breaker. It has been flawlessly charging 40A (actually 39A due to 1A transmission loss). I easily charge from 20% to 80% in about 5.5 hours (@ 27mi./hr. rate).

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
86 Posts
I have a Flo charger on a 40A breaker and it seems like I get 30A out of it. Seems to work pretty well but I'm just in the first week of owning my XC40. I did get the charger more than a year ago when BC Hydro had a rebate on for $700 to get a home charger installed. I knew my next car would be electric so we jumped on it well before we had an EV.

No time of day billing here (yet - hopefully they do eventually). I have 28 solar panels that feed extra electricity into the grid that I can draw on when the sun isn't shining. I normally pay about $200CAD/ for electricity per year of which $80 was for electricity and $120 is for being connected to the grid. It will be interesting to see home charging alters that, but that will be balanced against what we were paying in gas previously.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We got a Pacifica Hybrid last year (PHEV), and I planned to get a EV at some point in the near future (currently have an order in for a 2022 XC40 Recharge Ultimate). I had a new, dedicated 50 Amp line run to my garage with a single NEMA 14-50. Knowing we'd have 2 plug in vehicles soon, I went for the dual head Clipper Creek HCS-D50P. No smart features, but can charge 2 EV's simultaneously at up to 20 Amps each, or a single EV at up to 40 Amps.

We're in Maryland; no time of day billing and a pretty good EV credit from the state for new EVSE installs (not to mention the federal tax credit as well).

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Like @1moreRobot I got a Wallbox as they were available when I got my car. I then put the Chargepoint on E-Bay and it sold in like 2-3 days as I only asked MSRP for it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
We have two Flo chargers. Both are hardwired on 40 amp circuits. Both provided by our electric company. Flo charger will deliver up to 30amps. The charger is networked so I can control when power is delivered to take advantage of our time of use electric rates. Each garage bay has a dedicated charger due to the layout. I also have a clipper creak 20 amp charger from when we had a Chevy volt before TOU charging and a Nema 14-20 outlet in the garage for the evse that came with the XC90. We currently have the xc40, xc90t8 and Chevy bolt, though the bolt buyback should be completed in the next month or two. In the future there will likely be an EV pickup. We can charge a lot of cars at once if needed.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The hardwired version is new, I have the plug in version as the hardwired was not available back in June. 40 amps has been more than enough for me. I get free power 12am-6am up to 400kWh each month. Even charging from 45 to 90% I am done in 5 hours or less.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge | Bursting Blue
37 Posts
The free Chargepoint Home Flex was on backorder for a month when we got our car so I installed a 14-50 outlet in our garage and used the included Volvo cable to charge at 40amps until the Home Flex showed up.

Since I installed the Home Flex a couple weeks ago we've been charging at 48A/11.5kW. Right now it's not necessary (home charging at max speed) but several factors made me go this route:
1. This is our first EV and since 99.9% of our charging will be at home, it was a much better value (to us as first time EV owners) then the $500 charging credit.
2. I wanted to charge at the fastest speeds possible for 2 reasons.1. PA doesn't have TimeOfUse rates yet, but I could see them implementing it in the next 5-10 years as EV's become more widespread. I wanted the ability to set up charging windows (even if I won't use that feature now.) Yes I know you should be able to do that in a future Volvo update, but I don't know when that's coming and I don't know if our next EV will have that ability. 2. If they end up implementing "super off peak" hours, say from 12-4am, I wanted the ability to charge as much of the battery pack at those low rates. You have the ability to 7.68 more kWh back into the battery pack in 4 hours charging at 11.5kW (48A) vs 9.6kW(40A)
3. If we want to take a roadtrip after work on Friday, we'd most likely have the car home for an hour or 2 packing up after work. This allows us to start the trip with the highest SOC possible.

In the end, hardwiring the Chargepoint Home Flex allows us to charge at the maximum speed possible while at home, allowing us the greatest amount of charging flexibility.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts