Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PSA, If you’re going to attach a bike rack (or tow), make sure you disable the rear auto braking! Scared the bejeezus out of us twice when backing up when the car suddenly slammed on the brakes because it saw our bikes. You have to disable it (and parking warning) before each drive.

Also, for those that are interested, we saw about a 20% increase in consumption in this configuration.

·
Registered
118 Posts
With the factory installed hitch when I hook my trailer up it puts up a notice that park assist and whatnot are disabled automatically. I know they told me when I asked for the hitch that there was some software component to it. I figured it was mostly the light checks, but I guess this was part of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Prior to the June update; the rear brake sensor didn't engage, just the parking sensors.
Now, after the update, they both engage. I wish there was a work around other than disabling them each time.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've done both - used a bike rack with the continual warnings from the parking sensors, and pulled a trailer where the car automatically disables the rear sensors and auto braking.

I'm considering building a 'virtual trailer' - a little gadget that will connect to the 4-pin trailer harness. I will connect it when I mount the bike rack, so the car thinks there is a trailer back there and stops freaking out!

Reactions: vantablack

·
Registered
241 Posts
Reactions: santellavision

·
Registered
38 Posts
FWIW I put one of the Curt LED strips mentioned earlier in this thread on my 1UP rack. Fit is great and it does work to prevent RAB / parking sensors when plugged in.

Note that the Curt kit comes with a flat 4-pin connector. I bought an extra 4-pin to 7-pole converter just because I thought it would be easier to plug/unplug the 7-pole connector (I take my rack on/off a lot). The Volvo hitch has both types of plug, so you are good either way.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Road surface

Wood Rectangle Material property Road surface Gas

Rectangle Wall Asphalt Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge
323 Posts
What does the electrical connector look like on the Factory Volvo 2" Trailer hitch?

·
Registered
358 Posts
i have emailed Volvo customer care asking for a software fix to enable the ability to permanently turn the rear brake assist and parking sensors off when a bike rack/similar is attached. Or a bike rack mode, I don't care which. I feel that a lot of EV buyers are active people and need small things like this to increase livability.

I have also asked for a 'camp' mode or something where the climate can be toggled on and stay on no matter if a driver is present in the seat or not. Frankly, EV sleeping appeals to a lot of people - just pursue youtube. This would be a simple software fix.

I implore more people to email Volvo to ask for these and other things which may increase the 'depth' of the car.

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,085 Posts
I wonder if there's a 4-pin thing you can plug in to simulate a trailer and make the car turn all that stuff off.
Yes, discussed earlier in this thread. Please see the prior posts about creating a "virtual trailer" plug-in.

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,085 Posts
A software fix would negate some other way. That’s what I want. I don’t want a work around.
I agree, but I think it will be an uphill battle to convince their lawyers to allow disabling of a key safety feature WITHOUT an in-your-face warning/consent popup each & every time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
doesn't tricking it disable the BLIS also though? could be an in-road.
Yes. When I plug in the lights I added to the trailer I get a pop-up warning that BLIS is disabled. So pick your poison — disable manually or set up as a trailer and have BLIS disabled.

Honestly I don’t think the Volvo software is too bad for manual disable. It gives you an easily accessible button on the camera view to disable RAB and parking alerts for the rest of the drive. I have owned / driven other cars where I had to disable these features with a bike rack installed at it was a lot more painful to dig through several menus to disable.

·
Registered
358 Posts
FWIW I put one of the Curt LED strips mentioned earlier in this thread on my 1UP rack. Fit is great and it does work to prevent RAB / parking sensors when plugged in.

Note that the Curt kit comes with a flat 4-pin connector. I bought an extra 4-pin to 7-pole converter just because I thought it would be easier to plug/unplug the 7-pole connector (I take my rack on/off a lot). The Volvo hitch has both types of plug, so you are good either way.

View attachment 1741
View attachment 1742
View attachment 1740
Is that a single tray? Do you have any photos of the rack on your car? Basically, I’m interested to know if a single tray folded up in the storage position will allow for the rear cargo hatch to open and close without altering the rack position. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is that a single tray? Do you have any photos of the rack on your car? Basically, I’m interested to know if a single tray folded up in the storage position will allow for the rear cargo hatch to open and close without altering the rack position. Thanks in advance.
Yes, single tray. No issues with hatch clearance with the rack in storage position (sorry, no pics).

The highest point of the rack is probably at about the 1/2 height of the license tag if that helps. If you had a 2-tray rack it might be high enough to get in the way.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.