Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen this mentioned often (if it all) here, but one feature I think Volvo should prioritize rolling out is plug-and-charge. For anyone unfamiliar, EVs with this feature can basically plug into any charging station and start charging without having to use an app or touch the controls on the station. The charging station must also be compatible with plug-and-charge, but this seems to be a standard used by many of the big providers. Other EVs are implementing this standard, and it makes charging on the road easier and faster. We've seen several EV owners who get confused and/or frustrated when they have to start dealing with a different app for EA, ChargePoint, EVgo, etc., and implementing plug-and-charge would make all of that nearly seamless. We should be pushing Volvo to give us this feature.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
431 Posts
I don't know much about the technical details or if there are any hardware limitations with the existing 2021-2022 models, but it appears to be ISO 15118. It would be great if just a software OTA could give us that capability.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge | Bursting Blue
86 Posts
Plug n Charge is the last thing that Volvo needs to implement in order to have a great road tripping EV:

TLDW:
1. Route Planning (ie car plans your charging stops automatically when entering a destination)
2. On Route Battery Pre-conditioning (to maximize charging speeds when arriving at a DCFC, Hyundai Ionic 5 and Kia EV6 don't have this and it severely limits their charging speeds in cold weather)
3. Plug and Charge

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah, we talked about it a few times before we started getting OTA updates and realized that they don't actually deliver new features.

While EA is supporting Plug & Charge, ChargePoint is not on board,
Recently, a proposal for the implementation of ISO 15118 was announced, sometimes referred to as “Plug & Charge.” While ChargePoint and many in the industry embrace the spirit of ISO 15118, there are significant gaps in the current proposed implementation. These shortcomings sacrifice security and privacy, will force drivers and station owners to forgo benefits and features they’ve come to expect, all while eliminating individual control and choice for drivers and businesses. Ultimately, an easy charging experience doesn’t have to come with significant sacrifices.
Volvo has been more closely aligned with ChargePoint most likely because of EAs ties to the VW group. With this in mind I expect my next car will be my first car with Plug & Charge.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yeah, we talked about it a few times before we started getting OTA updates and realized that they don't actually deliver new features.

While EA is supporting Plug & Charge, ChargePoint is not on board,

Volvo has been more closely aligned with ChargePoint most likely because of EAs ties to the VW group. With this in mind I expect my next car will be my first car with Plug & Charge.
But Volvo is giving out free charging at EA to buyers so I don’t think there is any bad blood there..

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm pretty sure EVGo works with XC40 for plug and charge, or something similar. When you plug in evgo to xc40, you can start charging in the Chargepoint app in the IHU display. So there's a step but the chargepoint app is preinstalled..

I wish EA would support talking to Charegepoint app to support that as well. Downside for a bunch of charges I've ran into so far is you need the app to unlock the cable from the charger in the first place, which is kind of annoying so you can't do the plug and charge.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting position from Chargepoint. Sounds like they are afraid of losing customer loyalty or something. Throwing out FUD.
At least where I've driven, there is zero competition between these companies so far. I mean, I've never been in a position to choose between one or the other for charging stops. Wherever I've gone, there's only ever been a single DC charging location within reasonable distance. It'll be nice when we eventually get different company's chargers right across the street from each other, though.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge | Bursting Blue
86 Posts
I'm pretty sure EVGo works with XC40 for plug and charge, or something similar. When you plug in evgo to xc40, you can start charging in the Chargepoint app in the IHU display. So there's a step but the chargepoint app is preinstalled..
That’s not plug and charge.
Plug and charge is you plug in and walk away. No other steps involved to start charging.

·
Registered
287 Posts
At least where I've driven, there is zero competition between these companies so far.
Check out Baker, California on your PlugShare App. It's on the route from LA to Vegas. It's just a siding off the interstate with gas stations and EV chargers. Tesla, EA, EVgo and ChargePoint. It's also the location of the World's tallest thermometer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts