Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm a current owner of the 2017 XC90 and am interested in purchasing the XC40 Recharge EV. I'm about 75 miles west of Washington, DC. Fortunately, there is a Volvo dealer in Winchester. Not so much out hear for Volvo's competitors!

George Stone
Lake Frederick, VA

· Registered
296 Posts
I‘m in Montgomery County, MD - welcome! We’ve had Volvos since our 2004 XC90. We have two XC60s now (2020 and 2021), and I dumped my 2020 S60 Inscription for the XC40 Rehcarge - absolutely love it!

A few things to consider:

1. You are used to the Volvo Sensus system. The Recharge uses Google’s Android Automotive OS (AAOS). Some love it, I’m underwhelmed. I think it has a long way to go.

2. No CarPlay yet, but if you have an iPhone, you can stream your music over BlueTooth. It’s easy to say “hey Siri, play my Classic Rock playlist” (I use Apple Music). SiriusXM was finally added - the app is fair, but gives you access to your favorite stations - you can set up your favorites, but you cannot edit the order (defaults to numerically ordered). The album art is low resolution, but who really keeps the screen on anything but the map? You also cannot see what is playing on other stations when in the channel guide. I’m sure that will change with a future update.

3. Your iPhone connected by BlueTooth allows you to see your contacts and favorites to make calls. Unlike CarPlay, the favorites are displayed as large icons rather than an easy to see list, so you may have to scroll to find the contact. Google’s voice assistant is hit or miss in this regard.

4. Many of the safety features you can access in Sensus by swiping the center screen to the right to access are buried in menus - goes against Volvo’s safety objectives, but it’s not the end of the world, just a bit frustrating. Not enough to regret the XC40 Recharge - the drive is fantastic.

5. One Pedal Driving (OPD) is easy to get used to, but you can choose “normal” driving. With OPD, as you pull back on the accelerator, the motors slow you down - like downshifting in a stick. This will be great when the DMV gets snow/ice - slowing without hitting the brakes. OPD is like driving a bumper car, but you don’t try to hit anyone!

6. There are some software glitches, but most are cleared by rebooting the entertainment system by holding the home button until the screen turns black and the Volvo logo appears.

7. Google Maps - when you choose a destination, Google gives you an estimate as to how much battery you have left. It’s pretty accurate - I find that I have a percentage or two more than the estimate.

8. Range - Many will complain that the range is too low. I read that the average driver drives less than 50 miles a day. Unless you plan to use this for long trips, you will not have range anxiety (yes, that’s a thing). My work trip from MoCo to DC is around 32 miles round trip, so range is not an issue.

7. Charger - The vehicle comes with a charging cable that can be used with a normal home outlet (which is slow charging), or with a NEMA plug (similar to the plug for your dryer), which is faster charging. You may need to have a NEMA plug added to your garage, or have it hard-wired to the box. In Maryland, there was a $700 rebate for the cost of electrical work for the charger - VA may have something similar,

If you haven’t test driven one, do so soon! You will get used to OPD very quickly, and you can still use the brake if you need to do so. I took one for an hour test drive and was smiling the entire time.

Good luck!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I‘m in Montgomery County, MD - welcome! We’ve had Volvos since our 2004 XC90. We have two XC60s now (2020 and 2021), and I dumped my 2020 S60 Inscription for the XC40 Rehcarge - absolutely love it!

A few things to consider:

1. You are used to the Volvo Sensus system. The Recharge uses Google’s Android Automotive OS (AAOS). Some love it, I’m underwhelmed. I think it has a long way to go.

2. No CarPlay yet, but if you have an iPhone, you can stream your music over BlueTooth. It’s easy to say “hey Siri, play my Classic Rock playlist” (I use Apple Music). SiriusXM was finally added - the app is fair, but gives you access to your favorite stations - you can set up your favorites, but you cannot edit the order (defaults to numerically ordered). The album art is low resolution, but who really keeps the screen on anything but the map? You also cannot see what is playing on other stations when in the channel guide. I’m sure that will change with a future update.

3. Your iPhone connected by BlueTooth allows you to see your contacts and favorites to make calls. Unlike CarPlay, the favorites are displayed as large icons rather than an easy to see list, so you may have to scroll to find the contact. Google’s voice assistant is hit or miss in this regard.

4. Many of the safety features you can access in Sensus by swiping the center screen to the right to access are buried in menus - goes against Volvo’s safety objectives, but it’s not the end of the world, just a bit frustrating. Not enough to regret the XC40 Recharge - the drive is fantastic.

5. One Pedal Driving (OPD) is easy to get used to, but you can choose “normal” driving. With OPD, as you pull back on the accelerator, the motors slow you down - like downshifting in a stick. This will be great when the DMV gets snow/ice - slowing without hitting the brakes. OPD is like driving a bumper car, but you don’t try to hit anyone!

6. There are some software glitches, but most are cleared by rebooting the entertainment system by holding the home button until the screen turns black and the Volvo logo appears.

7. Google Maps - when you choose a destination, Google gives you an estimate as to how much battery you have left. It’s pretty accurate - I find that I have a percentage or two more than the estimate.

8. Range - Many will complain that the range is too low. I read that the average driver drives less than 50 miles a day. Unless you plan to use this for long trips, you will not have range anxiety (yes, that’s a thing). My work trip from MoCo to DC is around 32 miles round trip, so range is not an issue.

7. Charger - The vehicle comes with a charging cable that can be used with a normal home outlet (which is slow charging), or with a NEMA plug (similar to the plug for your dryer), which is faster charging. You may need to have a NEMA plug added to your garage, or have it hard-wired to the box. In Maryland, there was a $700 rebate for the cost of electrical work for the charger - VA may have something similar,

If you haven’t test driven one, do so soon! You will get used to OPD very quickly, and you can still use the brake if you need to do so. I took one for an hour test drive and was smiling the entire time.

Good luck!
Thanks for this information! I'm retired, so no commute for me!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.